Broods?

Seen my first chicks of the year on friday morning in johnson county. A hen with five very young chicks crossed the road in front me. Hope to see more soon but we will see.

still have seen NO pheasants this summer. did see 2 turkey broods today. the chicks in both broods were only softball size. very late hatchs.

I saw 4 hens tonight all with what appeared to be half or almost half grown chicks. I didn't see anything that had any color. I counted 10 young ones, but I'm sure there were more. I spotted them at a distance as I was driving and obviously they were ditch bound. They were all on the same stretch of road, next to public hunting.

Seen 1 young bird fly across highway 9 west of Larchwood yesterday, and 1 flew across from Jemmerson slough to KUOO area today.

Still holding on to the goose egg here in north central Iowa. During fieldwork I have bumped young deer, fox, and turkey but no pheasants. Still throwing the ol' eyes to and fro when out and about!:)

Drove to Sheldon this morning from the lakes. Seen two young birds sitting on the chain link fence surrounding the lumberyard on 60 in Sheldon..:)

Whew!

Talked to a rural mail carrier for my area today at a retirement party.

He has not seen one pheasant all summer. When I inquired he stated he drives over 40 miles of gravel each day.:( He said this was a first for him-34 years as a rural carrier.

He has not seen one pheasant all summer. When I inquired he stated he drives over 40 miles of gravel each day.:( He said this was a first for him-34 years as a rural carrier.

That is extremely sad and depressing. I do not think it is all weather related.

On a side note I liked the format of Iowa's count report and wish SD would take some tips from it. Very factual and informative.

I do not think it is all weather related.

Of course it's not, but as you know, it plays a huge part in the dramatic down-turn in Iowa.

Due to habitat loss these past few years, numbers would be down regardless of good or bad weather, but as we've been observing, it's been a number of years since Iowa's birds have had a decent chance at getting a few good broods on the ground.

It seems wild Iowa hens just can't catch a break:(

The mail carrier is usually a good source of information.

I took my own drive this morning, and covered 22 1/2 miles west of Spirit Lake.. 7:40 am , heavy dew, and fog in low lying areas (LS river) Seen 19 doves, 2 meadow larks. 4 killdeer, one hawk and 2 young pheasants sitting on the edge of the road in front of an acreage... (unfortunately, not mine) Going to replicate the route tomorrow.. Will report back..

Back