Broods?

blabs

Seen my first chicks of the year on friday morning in johnson county. A hen with five very young chicks crossed the road in front me. Hope to see more soon but we will see.

blackcloud27

still have seen NO pheasants this summer. did see 2 turkey broods today. the chicks in both broods were only softball size. very late hatchs.

Fred74

I saw 4 hens tonight all with what appeared to be half or almost half grown chicks. I didn't see anything that had any color. I counted 10 young ones, but I'm sure there were more. I spotted them at a distance as I was driving and obviously they were ditch bound. They were all on the same stretch of road, next to public hunting.

reddog

Seen 1 young bird fly across highway 9 west of Larchwood yesterday, and 1 flew across from Jemmerson slough to KUOO area today.

KBell

Still holding on to the goose egg here in north central Iowa. During fieldwork I have bumped young deer, fox, and turkey but no pheasants. Still throwing the ol' eyes to and fro when out and about!:)

reddog

Drove to Sheldon this morning from the lakes. Seen two young birds sitting on the chain link fence surrounding the lumberyard on 60 in Sheldon..:)

KBell

Whew!

Talked to a rural mail carrier for my area today at a retirement party.

He has not seen one pheasant all summer. When I inquired he stated he drives over 40 miles of gravel each day.:( He said this was a first for him-34 years as a rural carrier.

UGUIDE

He has not seen one pheasant all summer. When I inquired he stated he drives over 40 miles of gravel each day.:( He said this was a first for him-34 years as a rural carrier.
That is extremely sad and depressing. I do not think it is all weather related.

On a side note I liked the format of Iowa's count report and wish SD would take some tips from it. Very factual and informative.

1pheas4

Super Moderator
I do not think it is all weather related.
Of course it's not, but as you know, it plays a huge part in the dramatic down-turn in Iowa.

Due to habitat loss these past few years, numbers would be down regardless of good or bad weather, but as we've been observing, it's been a number of years since Iowa's birds have had a decent chance at getting a few good broods on the ground.

It seems wild Iowa hens just can't catch a break:(

The mail carrier is usually a good source of information.

reddog

I took my own drive this morning, and covered 22 1/2 miles west of Spirit Lake.. 7:40 am , heavy dew, and fog in low lying areas (LS river) Seen 19 doves, 2 meadow larks. 4 killdeer, one hawk and 2 young pheasants sitting on the edge of the road in front of an acreage... (unfortunately, not mine) Going to replicate the route tomorrow.. Will report back..