Broods?

KBell

Hello Everyone,

As of yesterday, I have not seen any broods yet in my area. Still hear the crowing in early morning and prior to darkness. Saw a hen last night without a brood. Could use some good news!:)

I have been working in lamoni iowa k bell on the college there, the cover around that college looks really good there i realize its a little south well lots south but man it should have a few around there ive been keeping my eyes peeled but nothing so far?

big fat zero here also. normal ytd rain in our area is 15 inches. we are over 31 ytd as of today. some areas near by are close too 40. I have had 13 " in the last 10 days. its so wet the mallard nesting in the center of our cul-de-sac lost her nest:( the little kids in the neighborhood really look forward to the little ducks. the dandylions in my lawn have even drowned out. baby ducks and geese are a very rare sight this year. doesn't look good for pheasants:( damn it just started raining again!!!!

I have lived in this area fro 3 years and had never heard nor seen a bird. Last year we started hearing them and my dogs pointed a couple on a walk.
I kept my mouth shut, never told a soul.
This spring prior to nesting I had a count of 10 hens and 6 roosters. I was so very happy!
Then, the begining of June, the Cedar took over the habitat yet again.:( I have not seen or heard a bird since. I am sick. I had no intenetions of hunting these birds, but was thrilled they were back.

I am also a little irritated about how DNR has taken over this place for Doves. lets give up on the pheasants and work on revenue from the doves. One thing that bothers me is the habitat isnt very dog friendly. I have constant worriess about losing a dog to a seed hull migration.

Didnt meant to go off on a tangent. I have seen 5-6 pair of huns. That is it. I havent seen any chicks of any kind yet. Not even a turkey.

still seeing ducks setting on nest. have seen NO broods of pheasants or turkeys. yesterday in saw a weird sight. TWO hen mallards setting on the same nest.:eek:

Still Nada!

Field work spraying corn and beans. Drove gravel this morning and evening and still zero for broods. Personally hoping we would have some sort of a second attempt due to the wet conditions this spring. I am at a loss--thought I would see at least one brood due to 14 hours in 400 acres and gravel travel today.:(

still seeing ducks setting on nest. have seen NO broods of pheasants or turkeys. yesterday in saw a weird sight. TWO hen mallards setting on the same nest.:eek:

Hopefully there is twice the amount of eggs!!!! I have seen the same thing when checking my woody boxes! 2 Woody hens sitting together. Since they are very aggressive towards any other hens during this time I came to the conclusion that it was a hen from her previous years clutch. It seems to be the only conclusion why she would be tolerable to this other hen. One hen was banded by me the previous year, the other one had no band. I had over 40 boxes out and had banded over 30 hens in boxes the year before. The other hen was smaller that did not have a band. I banded her , but the next year found no nests with 2 hens again.

God Bless You!

God Bless You PheasantAddict,

I am now praying that what you have experienced becomes an uncontrollable outbreak for the rest of us!

May an epidemic of brood sightings follow!:) I am sad to report I have yet to see a chick this year. If anyone else can share some brood outbreak virus with the rest of us--please do! I know of no Iowan who doesn't need some positive news concerning pheasants.

PheasantAddict may your fortunes be many and your blessings bountiful! Thanks for sharing.:)

NWIowa here. Have seen 0. I have seen several hens on the road lately, but they're alone. Sad

Still Nada

Saw one hen on the edge of the corn this evening. No chicks!:( I even drove by her later and still no chicks!:(

Has anyone had sightings?

Alfalfa's a bust?

Cut thirty acres of alfalfa this morning. One hen--zero chicks and one lone rooster. Only cover crop of its time in a very large area. Sure thought I would see my first brood here?:(

Anyone in Iowa seeing broods?

I'm in Knoxville now for the Nationals. Still yet to see a brood in Iowa. I'm camping with a couple from SD. They've been inviting me to their farm for two years.. From what they're telling me yesterday... I'm going to find a way to make it happen on one of my trips.

Agreed!

Same thing I have been hearing guys! Our son works in the Pierre area of S.D. and has been telling us the bird and brood numbers out there are fantastic!:) I have never gone this long in Iowa without seeing a brood of pheasants.:(

I am aware that our brood stock is at very low levels in many areas but had higher hopes than what I and all of you are seeing.

Fall just doesn't have the same appeal to me right now!:(

Back