Brood counts

We just can’t seem to stay clear of those big rains. No doubt some hens will have to re nest.

my neighbor went out by Hayes SD this weekend to his bro in laws farm where we hunt. perfect amounts of moisture out there. They were cutting hay and he pushed out 2 broods- 15 birds in each one and all were able to fly some distance. so good start thus far.

I was at my house Walleye fishing last week. Saw lots of birds near roads and in fields. Everywhere we fished heard roosters crowing on the banks. Still some crops standing from last year. Might be a late planting season. Neighbor who runs the John Deere dealership told me farmers were buying track tractors so they can get around better.

I was at my house Walleye fishing last week. Saw lots of birds near roads and in fields. Everywhere we fished heard roosters crowing on the banks. Still some crops standing from last year. Might be a late planting season. Neighbor who runs the John Deere dealership told me farmers were buying track tractors so they can get around better.
Bobby, How was the fishing?

For sure, was being a wise guy....I just always had to muzzle myself when the debates start every late August after the report comes out, and much skepticism would surface about gfp's motives...I have never doubted the #'s, they usually were in line with what I saw that fall...
My experience has been the brood reports were very much inline with what we would see in bird numbers. Our group hunts late Oct and Dec. We get a good view with crops and without on bird numbers. I agree it is a shame they are not doing the brood reports.

Division of wildlife has a $56,000,000 annual budget....as in, what they spend...they take in about $51,000,000....over $5,000,000 budget deficit...I understand the elimination of the brood survey and the addition of the "habitat stamp"...not saying I agree by any means...no wonder they are allocating the 700k of savings from the brood survey into marketing...sell more licenses, etc, and narrow that budget gap!

StarTribune doesn't want to let me read it.
Dakota won't fool hunters long, I agree.

Of particular concern are nonresident South Dakota pheasant hunters who spend freely while in the state and who now outnumber resident ringneck hunters.

South Dakota GFP commission members reason that if they don’t reveal the state’s annual pheasant brood counts, the out-of-staters won’t know in a given year whether South Dakota is flush with pheasants or not, forcing the vagabond nimrods, essentially, to come to the state, with their cash, to find out.

Nixing the brood counts also serves well the imminent launching by South Dakota of an expensive, multiyear marketing campaign intended to return pheasant hunters en masse to the state, thereby ringing motel and other business owners’ cash registers at a pace reminiscent of the state’s pheasant hunting glory days.

Summing up the group’s mind-set regarding pheasants, one attendee of the June 4 meeting said, “We’re running a business here.”

Division of wildlife has a $56,000,000 annual budget....as in, what they spend...they take in about $51,000,000....over $5,000,000 budget deficit...I understand the elimination of the brood survey and the addition of the "habitat stamp"...not saying I agree by any means...no wonder they are allocating the 700k of savings from the brood survey into marketing...sell more licenses, etc, and narrow that budget gap!

don't forget, they need to pay off "PF" and other magazines to trumpet the great bird populations that we all will see in 2020.
it's the same hype we see every year.....

Well I never did think it was of much value, I am glad to see them save the money. My question is why spend it on advertising instead of habitat? If they combined it with the revenue from the habitat stamp it would probably do more good.

Well I never did think it was of much value, I am glad to see them save the money. My question is why spend it on advertising instead of habitat? If they combined it with the revenue from the habitat stamp it would probably do more good.

Agree.

seems that most states undergo some sort of count on at least some of their game...I know IA, MN, ND, MT, and KS historically have done some sort of drumming, crowing, brood, lek, etc sort of counts...many states also do some duck counts as well...have to believe these have some value...maybe not...that $700,000 is about 5800 NR licenses...not that many, when you consider it wasn't that long ago that sd had over 100k nr hunters annually...about 70k more recently...just seems like an abrupt decision...do I mind if sd sells fewer nr licenses? no. but I would hope that the bird thrives...which requires habitat...and demand for the bird, at the end of the day...

My hunting buddy just reminded me today to check this forum to see what folks were saying! Excited just thinking about hunting again, especially with new young labs this year!

As far as the brood counts, I have mixed emotions I guess. I always looked forward to seeing them, but in all reality they never impact what I'm going to do. Been going to the same part of SD for 15+ years, it won't change this year with no brood counts. I just hope the people here feel free to divulge enough bits and pieces to keep NR like me excited to make the long trek!

I have always found the store owners, farmers, hotel/house rental folks, and local hunters in SD to very reliable and honest. Great place to get real info on birds in a specific area.

Talked w my buddy who farms out by Hayes SD, he is also a big pheasant hunter...he said its been a number of years since he has seen brood sizes this big. Gonna be a great year out there!

Back