Brittany or Springer Spaniel for pheasants?

You haven't hunted with my Brittany. She retrieves as good or better than any Springer or Lab I've had.

And for you, carptom, retrieving is bringing the bird, or whatever, to hand.

Thank you Zeb for the clarification. I was unsure:D

Not a Springer but why not have a team.
:thumbsup:

I have hunted with brittanys, labs, spaniels, gsps, vislas. What it boils down to in my opinion is what type of hunting you prefer.

From my experience and hunting style GSPs are one of my favorite dogs. They point, track and retrieve to hand with a soft mouth.

When I hunted with a tracking lab it seemed like there were better breeds for scent hunting. He did however retrieve every downed bird flawlessly.

Flushing dogs have to work pretty close. Especially late in a season.

My preference is an all around dog.

Go out and hunt behind different breeds and see which style fits with your shooting and hunting preferences.

I always thought the retrieving was the easy part? You mean people actually get a certain breed based solely on retrieving skills? Crazy.

weren't you the one chucking rocks over the weekend:eek:
.....oh! I know it was you I remember ;):D

:cheers:

No stones in this duck blind. Just one dog breed with "retriever" in the name that wasn't doing much retrieving. ;) and you want to talk about a blind retrieve....the dog that got that downed bird was 3 miles away when it was shot.

Last edited:
weren't you the one chucking rocks over the weekend:eek:
.....oh! I know it was you I remember ;):D

:cheers:

He was the one waist deep in the water pleading with his dog to go pick up the dead duck:D. I could here it now " please go pick it up, pretty please. Look I have a treat for you":D

Your not taking this seriously are you? Were just screwing with you. Lighten up, after all you did say you did some coaxing:D

No, I enjoy the back and forth. Beats talking about ford vs Chevy all the time.

I do find it funny though how a guy could start a thread about Chihuahua vs pit bull and you would come in and somehow figure out a way to mention a lab.

No, I enjoy the back and forth. Beats talking about ford vs Chevy all the time.

I do find it funny though how a guy could start a thread about Chihuahua vs pit bull and you would come in and somehow figure out a way to mention a lab.

It's a sickness. You know what they say " once you go black you never go back":D

I hear ya.....my last dog was a black lab, and the one before that was brown. Took me a while to break the addiction too.

It's ok man. Really. It doesn't make you less of a man because you couldnt handle them. They are not for everybody:p

It's ok man. Really. It doesn't make you less of a man because you couldnt handle them. They are not for everybody:p

Actually I think they are probably one of the easiest dogs to handle? They make great house pets for just that reason. :thumbsup:

Hey, don't knock throwing rocks. I've had to resort to it more than once to get the dogs to a bird down in the water.:cheers:

To the OP, tell ya what. Dont believe a dam thing you hear mostly on here. Bickering back and fourth about rover being better then lassie, one is a close worker garbage. If you are serious, skip past all this jabber and go to see some good dogs work. If you were near me I could show you several springers in action this hunting season. Won't have pups because we are booked till 2015, but I know plenty of good dogs out there. If your near Dakota Zeb, he would most likely be happy to show you his Brit. Otherwise we can direct you to folks we know all over to go put your hands on the car so to speak

Last edited:
To the OP, tell ya what. Dont believe a dam thing you hear mostly on here. Bickering back and fourth about rover being better then lassie, one is a close worker garbage. If you are serious, skip past all this jabber and go to see some good dogs work. If you were near me I could show you several springers in action this hunting season. Won't have pups because we are booked till 2015, but I know plenty of good dogs out there. If your near Dakota Zeb, he would most likely be happy to show you his Brit. Otherwise we can direct you to folks we know all over to go put your hands on the car so to speak

Solid advice.

I spent months researching breeds and most ended up with a blah blah blah argument full of misconceptions and half truths.

Call some breeders/trainers and do some hunting behind each of them and see what you like.:cheers:

Retrieving is a relative term. By retrieving do you mean he goes over and stands by it? Get's close to it and pees? or does he bring it most of the way back before chewing on it? God forbid that he actually delivers it to hand, tell me it isn't so! I am just trying to figure out what you non-lab guy's mean by retrieving? Could I get a definition. Please?

Lets put our dogs side-by-side on the bank of the lake and throw one dummy and send 'em both. I'll let Daisy do my talking for me.:thumbsup: BOOM!!! YOU JUST GOT SHADOWED!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, she's a very solid retriever especially on birds. And when I say retrieving, I mean running down the bird like the devil's behind her, and hustling it back to me, as proud and head-high as any dog I've seen. But this thread isn't about wirehairs or labs...:rolleyes:

DakotaZeb, I have no doubt that your brits are great retrievers. I have seen others in the past that did it very well too. Some aren't that into retrieving, and Junie is in that camp. She'll find them, and rarely pick them up and bring them back, but usually just points the dead bird.

Personally, if I was in the market for a dog, I would want the most versatile dog breed I could find. As much as it would be nice to have strictly a "pheasant dog", it looks like the best bet these days is just to have a "hunting dog". I say that because (around here) you probably need to hunt a little bit of everything with feathers if you want to keep a dog happy.:cheers:

Back