Brittany or Springer Spaniel for pheasants?

A springer of course. :D:cheers: I think it really depends on which type of cover you will be hunting most.

A springer of course. :D:cheers:
I think it really depends on which type of cover you will be hunting most.

OR a big fieldbred English Cocker:D

We had Britts for 40 years, hunted them all over the country including in the Dakotas. They didn't run that big and we kept 'em in pretty tight control, you could get up on a point pretty quickly. For big CRP/pasture fields, a pointing dog can work great. Or right after a snowfall, when birds are sitting tight.

For hunting shelterbelts, ditches, along streams, fencerows, linear covers of many types, I like a close working flushing dog. A good Eng. Cocker, Springer or Lab will do. :10sign:

Britts all day long. They are in my view the best bird dog around. :D Flushers are great on pin raised birds. But wild birds run, and need to be pinned down. Hows that for stirring the pot.:D:D

That said a dog, any bird dog, can do the job, if the hunter, can hit the bird.

Sorry I grow tired of the Flusher VS Pointer argument on this sight. I fined it point less.:cheers:

OR a big fieldbred English Cocker:D

We had Britts for 40 years, hunted them all over the country including in the Dakotas. They didn't run that big and we kept 'em in pretty tight control, you could get up on a point pretty quickly. For big CRP/pasture fields, a pointing dog can work great. Or right after a snowfall, when birds are sitting tight.

For hunting shelterbelts, ditches, along streams, fencerows, linear covers of many types, I like a close working flushing dog. A good Eng. Cocker, Springer or Lab will do. :10sign:

I think that pretty well sums it up. Big grass fields, wheat stubble, pointer all the way. Cattails, shelter belts, deep grass, flushers are great.

I've owned several Springers and also several Brittanys. Springers for 20+ years and Brittanys for the past 17 years. Provided you get a well bred field dog both breeds can do an outstanding job on pheasants. Until I got my first Brittany I had never had a pointing dog. After that first Brittany I was hooked on the "Point" and could never go back to a flushing dog. While one breed may do better than the other in certain cover I think overall it still boils down to individual preference. If you are trying to decide which breed to purchase I'd try to get out and hunt behind each breed. See which one you prefer. Bear in mind that there can be a lot of differences within each breed.

For open country like SD you want a ranging pointer to locate the birds for you. That would be the Brittany. If you're going to hunt in a club or reserves, go Springer.

Last edited:
pudelpointer, mine ranges nicely in big grass or broken cover....and he is a roadgrader in cattails....just watch the fur fly off the tails, easy to follow/locate. :thumbsup:

Not to turn this into a retriever verses pointer thread but...... I spent many years hunting with pointers. Used to swear it was the only way to go. I bought a lab about 15 years ago. Zeb is right, there are many variations of the breeds. Do your homework. A little time spent now could save you much frustration/disappointment later. For me a strong retrieve is a priority when finding a dog. Many a pointed pheasant have been lost to a dog who's heart wasn't in finding a wounded bird:) Don't get me wrong, many pointers are good retrievers, but most won't stand up to a top retriever. Whether that is a spaniel, Lab, Golden or other. Retrieving is what they live for. A ranging pointer is great but in late season they will cause trouble on spooky birds. It's a tough decision, but whatever you do look around and figure out what's important to you.

I worked for several years with a field trial springer trainer and we hunted those dogs on wild birds all over the country. For pheasant they are great. I never could get used to hunting quali behind them, I much prefer a pointing dog for quail.

Pheasants are the reason God made Springers. Springer field trials are run on pheasants & handlers hope they will encounter a running bird since if their dog trails it & produces it, they will move up in the rankings. They also hope for a long difficult retrieve for the same reason.

The only reason to consider a pointing breed for pheasant hunting is if you have some disability that doesn't allow you to keep pace with a flushing dog or if you are such a poor shot that you need the extra time to prepare for the flush.

(now that's how you stir a pot!):cheers:

Last edited:
Pheasants are the reason God made Springers. Springer field trials are run on pheasants & handlers hope they will encounter a running bird since if their dog trails it & produces it, they will move up in the rankings. They also hope for a long difficult retrieve for the same reason.

The only reason to consider a pointing breed for pheasant hunting is if you have some disability that doesn't allow you to keep pace with a flushing dog or if you are such a poor shot that you need the extra time to prepare for the flush.

Bam! Nimrod (and spaniels) for the win.:cheers:

Either will do fine, and big fields, small fields bla bla bla. They both can do it, both same size, look alike. Gotta give the knod to the ESS on much better as a whole on retrieving for sure, pointers as a rule suck at that. Yes there are some great at it, but it is not the cup o tea as a whole working group. It boils down to preferance, pointer or flusher. If you wish to mix it up on some ducks as well as grouse woods, I would lean toward the ESS. But if your just going to run some roosters, either is a fine choice if you get a nice one.

I should feel insulted by this, but I just had to smile and nod... That was some good pot stirring.:cheers:

I have a brittany, but the heavy lifting is done by my GWP. Especially when it comes to retrieving... If I was relying solely on my brit, pheasant hunting would be much harder. :laugh:

I should feel insulted by this, but I just had to smile and nod... That was some good pot stirring.:cheers:

I have a brittany, but the heavy lifting is done by my GWP. Especially when it comes to retrieving... If I was relying solely on my brit, pheasant hunting would be much harder. :laugh:

Retrieving is a relative term. By retrieving do you mean he goes over and stands by it? Get's close to it and pees? or does he bring it most of the way back before chewing on it? God forbid that he actually delivers it to hand, tell me it isn't so! I am just trying to figure out what you non-lab guy's mean by retrieving? Could I get a definition. Please?:D

You haven't hunted with my Brittany. She retrieves as good or better than any Springer or Lab I've had.

And for you, carptom, retrieving is bringing the bird, or whatever, to hand.

My though is a Ryman english Setter, tractable, retrieves, points, and looks ]really fine doing it like an Alfred Munnings painting, all girls like them! I like springers and Britts, I had Britts, now gone, they were fine companions and hunters, smart too, but they weren't a dog I would purchase again. Now if I could get you guys to come over and vac the house and tirelessly brush and groom daily, I'd have one! But instead I have a lab, and a hose.

Back