Brittany Breeders

ddeslau

Looking for a Brittany from quality lines that first and foremost has a good temperament. I probably pheasant hunt 12 to 15 days a year so the rest of the year the dog will be in the house and must be calm and biddable. I have been checking some of the online sites and came across a listing on the Missouri Brittany Clubs site from Gary Hampton in Kansas. He has a couple liver and white Brittanys out of 5x NFC Jokers Jackpot and a direct Daughter of NFC FC AFC Shambo's Dark Shadow. Anybody familiar with Gary or his dogs?

We purchased our last Brittany from a trainer as a finished dog, she was bred by Dale Hartner out of Wisconsin and was a fantastic dog. I'm located in Northern Illinois so if anybody has any recomendations I'd appreciate it?

I know NOTHING of the seller, nor the breeding, but this ad just popped up on Craig's List in Madison, WI, yesterday. They had two females yesterday, but ad seems to list only the one female and 4 males today.

Might be worth a call.

Sorry, best I can do. Just happenstance that I recalled it.

have fun, be safe.

http://madison.craigslist.org/pet/4172058669.html

I would be very careful about buying a dog from a Craigslist ad. I don't know Gary in Kansas but I see him advertise a lot of dogs on the national NSTRA web site. I'm always a little leary of those that seem to sell a lot of dogs. They may be fine but you can run into a puppy mill now and then. I'd do a lot of reference checking.

I've got Brittanys and if I run across some good pups will let you know. Are you looking for another female?

Brittany Breeder for pup or started dog

Zeb thanks for the response.....the sex of the dog and whether it is a puppy or started dog is of lesser importance than its temperament. First and foremost we are looking for a loving companion that will be kept in the house as member of our family. We have two sons, 7 and 9, so a dog with a calm temperament that can be easily obedience trained, crate-trained, housebroken, etc is of utmost importance to us. Secondly we would like a dog with proven hunting ability, or that comes from a line of proven hunters . I hunt wild pheasant in Illinois and make an annual trip to South Dakota. I probably hunt less than 14 days a years which is why temperament is more important to me than getting a hard charging aggressive field dog as it will primarily be our companion.

Just curious: What do Brit pups and started Brits with championship lineage go for?

Kismet thanks for the reply but it seems that ad has now been taken down.

huh. Up one day with 2 females, down the next, then up with one, then down...must have gotten a lot of calls.

Sorry I couldn't be of help. I troll CL for boats and to look at hunting dogs' ads, and rarely see hunting dogs of any time, and especially Brits.

Best wishes.

Zeb thanks for the response.....the sex of the dog and whether it is a puppy or started dog is of lesser importance than its temperament. First and foremost we are looking for a loving companion that will be kept in the house as member of our family. We have two sons, 7 and 9, so a dog with a calm temperament that can be easily obedience trained, crate-trained, housebroken, etc is of utmost importance to us. Secondly we would like a dog with proven hunting ability, or that comes from a line of proven hunters . I hunt wild pheasant in Illinois and make an annual trip to South Dakota. I probably hunt less than 14 days a years which is why temperament is more important to me than getting a hard charging aggressive field dog as it will primarily be our companion.

I know exactly what you want. Sounds like my females. Laid back and quiet around the house and dynamos in the field. In my opinion, a spayed female makes a much better house dog. How soon are you looking to purchase a dog? I'll keep my eyes & ears open for you. The breeder I got my last dog from was in Colorado and he generally has a litter each spring. He is an excellent breeder and breeds for all the right things including temperament.

BritChaser, I'd say good pups from proven/championship bloodlines will sell for $500-750. A started dog approx. a year and a half old will bring $1,500 to 3,000 depending on the level of training.

Brittany Breeder for pup or started dog

Zeb you are right on with the price ranges from what I have seen and the inquiries I have made. As far as how soon we are looking to get a dog I'm not in a hurry but wouldn't hesitate to jump on something if the right situation presented itself.

Our last Brit was out of a daughter of Masked Shoshoni War Chief and had dual champions on both sides of her pedigree. She was 2 and half when we brought her home, was broke to wing and shot and her price was also in line with what you mentioned.

Don't know if you have found a dog yet but we got our last Britt from John Marsman in Edwardsburg Mich. I got her in late November and worked with her all the next summer. Come Oct we went to SD and she hunted like a champ. Most of his dogs are dual and they are some of the best dogs Ive seen. Check him out and here is his web page. http://www.marsportbrittanys.net/

brittany

Hi I live in Montana and hope some day to get a Brittany , always have run labs. I live close to Ben Willliams, first off, anyone wanting to learn a ton about Brittany's would do well to check out, buy and read his writing. HE might be THE GURU?

Beyond that he doesn't raise dogs for sale but he HIGHLY recommends, yes I listened , Leslie Andreas in the Calgary area, does some trials, and hunt test. her phone is 306-662-2536. She only does one or two litters annually,

This isn't intended to disparage anyone else.

thought I would share!

I have exchanged emails with Arlette at K Nine Bird Dog Brittanys and from what I've seen see has some very nice dogs. I will be meeting her the 18th & 19th of January at a NSTRA trial in Southern California. She will be judging and I'm going over with the guys from the Arizona region to run my Brittany while we winter in the Phoenix area.

I have picked Brittanys out of litters and had them sent (flown) to me "blind" from a litter that I selected. Did not seem to matter.

My last four Brittanys have all been females. Two female dogs out of a breeder in NJ and two out of a breeder in SE MN. All have been solid dogs with excellent pointing instincts from the first time in the field. All have or will hunt watefowl in the decoys (at least in October). No professional trainers required.

All have had their strengths and weaknesses in the field. All live in our home. Even had three in the house together for about a year or so. :)

PM me if you want Breeder names and contact info.

Thanks for the tip! Looks promising.

Back