Brittany and water

Miforester

There has been discussion about Brittany's not liking water here is a video of my 2 year old Brittany crossing a drainage ditch to go and point a pheasant. Then make a water retrieve once the bird was dropped. Unfortunately, she went back the wrong way with her retrieve and we had to cross the ditch to get the bird......found a bridge. I am always amazed at the drive and abilities our hunting partners have, regardless of breed. I will never hunt without a dog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4V8JFa4c7w

Wait what ?

My Brittanys have all taken to water, some more than others. All retrieve birds in water. I have had three Brittanys that did extremely well sitting on land with us hunting ducks and geese over decoys (water and grain field).

My current 11 year old bird dog was so good at 6 - 9 that she would submarine (almost totally submerge) to capture a wounded duck swimming under water.

Expose them to water in "fun" training sessions ... other dogs help a great deal. If necessary ... get in the water with them during the summer months.

Great video, but that bird held in that thin cover, then flew right at you guys!He kind of jumped around, before he flew. Strange.

lol... at the beginning when your pooch jumps in and we hear you say "no!" I've been there many times (with dogs that aren't supposed to like water :D). Gotta LOVE that desire to get where they need to go to find birds! I still hear this about Brittany's and other breeds including my GSP's. I don't know who starts these roomers and how in the world they stick, but I haven't seen it personally. My older GSP loves the water and our Brittany did even more than my GSP.

These pics are from last season from my Gopro... it was a cold day... I guess I forgot to tell Mia she doesn't like water.

Is that dog for sale?? :D

Last edited:
Great video, but that bird held in that thin cover, then flew right at you guys!He kind of jumped around, before he flew. Strange.

Pen raised?

We were at a hunting preserve, that bird had flushed earlier and we did hit it so it was not 100%. I could see him as could Bella. I also could see blood on his beek, I figured she would catch him.

Last edited:
We were at a hunting preserve, that bird had flushed earlier and we did hit it so it was not 100%. I could see him as could Bella. I also could see blood on his beek, I figured she would catch him.

That's makes it even better... nice find. ;)

Back