Breed Combos in the field

515wingshooter

Besides the same breed which breed combos do you like or have hunted with in the field? Personally I have done the Vizsla/Weim combo in the field a few times a year.

how was your experience with those combos mmelton? The vizslas and weims I run are pretty thorough close working dogs.

thornton what kind of setter do you have?

llewellin setter & gorden setter
llewellin setter & small munsterlander
llewellin setter & olde english bulldogge
llewellin setter & gorden setter & olde english bulldogge

the setters are my brothers & live together so the hunt well together my small munsterlander hunted well with both of them but not as well with the gorden but it was a short hunt... the llewellin setter hunts good with all others well shes a very good... i want my SM to hunt like that with other dogs...

that olde english bulldogge gets looks & laughs lol but shes not a short stubby eglish bulldog shes big like a american bulldog & a olde english bulldogge was breed with a pug to make a english bulldog with short stubby legs & can barely breath... the olde english bulldogge acts like a flusher crashes threw stuff but runs out of gas after 3-4 fields & half that the next day she has flushed & found & kinda retrieved 2 me prairie chickens ruffed grouse & pheasants lol she thinks she a hunting dog... lol she grew up around em so...

Last edited:
the setter ranges out further and was much faster than the other pointing dogs I ran with but they worked well together (Setter not much of a retriever and doesn't think too much of the water put proper training I believe could have made a great dog)

The lab was much younger than the other dogs when I hunted with it and was such a beast in the cattails searching for pheasants.

I love pointing dogs but can see why so many people use Labs upland hunting too. They are heavier body dogs that can crash the thick stuff. Like I said though the Lab was 2 years old and the Setter and GSP were 10 years old at the time.

I only hunted over the GWP one time it was a close working dog and good retriever.

The Griffon Was an old mans dog (my dad was getting older)seemed to work just a little too slow he could track one pheasant in a field of many and would push the bird so slow it would just run and run. Griffon loved the water was a good retriever and seemed to be a thinker in the field too.

Brittany, Brittany, Gordon, and Chessie
Brittany, Brittany, and Welsh SS
Brittany and Gordon
Brittany and three GSPs
Brittany and one GSP
Brittany and three Vizslas
Brittany and one Vizsla
Brittany, ESS, Lab, GSP, and Chessie
Brittany, Brittany, and Weim
Brittany and Weim

It was all good mostly. The three GSPs and three Vizslas, in each case, were fielded together by one hunter and often hunted more as a pack. Just one would have been about as effective.

Last edited:
Shorthairs/English Setters
Shorthairs/Brittany
Shorthairs/Labs
Shorthairs/Wirehairs

I think that about covers it for me.

shorthairs-llewellin setters
shorthairs-setters- Brittanys
shorthairs-briitanys
shorthairs-pointers
shorthairs-shorthairs-shorthairs

loved every minute of it. Really enjoyed my shorthair-llewellin setter combos. My first choice for all around dog is shorthairs but setters have a way of catching my eye.

brittany / lab
brittany/english pointer
brittany/visla
brittany/weim
brittany/ chessie
brittany/gsp only once a year when my hard headed friends come out
and finally my favorite brittany/brittany nothing beats a heard of britts in the field

The best birddog I ever had was a pointer/English setter cross. Best nose, tireless retriever, even used him as a dove retriever, he never lost one in 5 years, usually several hundred a year. He made me lazy, shooting in standing soybeans, corn, no problem, drop them when you can see them, the dog did it all. I also was exposed to his sister, a complete air head. I like all birddogs! A herd is good, I am convinced that an army of dogs are as good as blockers and drivers in pheasant hunting. Actually better, because you get the shots! I used a long legged group of puppies two years ago, in a mature CRP field, there were dogs everywhere, confused the birds, they pointed 7 times, twice where birds they ran back to a gunner. Opened up my eyes. but it's hard to keep and manage them!

Back