Bought me an Over and Under

jaytee

Well I finally found what looks to be a really nice gun for the money off of gunbroker. Its a Red Label 20 guage/3inch, 26 in. barrels, skeet/skeet with some really nice wood. The blueing is good except for the bottom sides of the reciever and its worn a bit. I called Ruger and they will polish and reblue the whole gun for a hundred and thirty bucks, so its off to Ruger in a few days. I know a lot of folks aren't to keen on the Red Labels but I think it'll be just fine for me. What can I say, I'm a diehard Ruger fan.

Congrats, welcome to the stacked barrel club. Don't be surprised if Ruger goes through the whole gun before sending it back, with no extra charge. They are very good at standing behind those Red Label's. They have had issues from time to time but most guys who just hunt with them, will never have a problem. If it's all blued, it's a earlier one. I like them the best of all the Rugers. My cousin bought one of the first Rugers ever built...get this. they were $399.00 new when they came out. That was a heck of a buy. I wanted one in the worst way. He still has his, it's hardly been shot.

If the one you bought fits you as well as mine fits me, you will love it. Point, shoot, retrieve dead bird. Got my first wild SD rooster with mine and used it to shoot the first pheasant over my first bird dog that wasn't a mutt. I've found mine to be reliable and deadly on gamebirds.

Congrats and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours just as the rest of us enjoy ours. No regrets on my part & I have a RL in 28, 20 & 12.

RL

Great choice for a gun! I have a 28 and 20, both handle great. Ruger took care of my 28 that I bought from a friend when it wouldn't change barrels when fired. He had a local gunsmith work on it and gave up when it did the same thing. No charge from Ruger, replaced and upgraded the receiver parts. :cheers:

If Ruger would have kept the price around $800, then stood behind them like they do. They wouldn't have been able to build them fast enough. Instead...they were over priced and they no longer make them

I've got a RL 28 and love it...the 20 is great as well; never liked the 12.

Have a Browning Citori 20ga. O/U, 24" barrel, english stock that fits me well. Had it for 21 years and no problems. If I ever have to replace it, you guys have me taking a look at the red label in the 20. Have other guns with Ruger stamp, very reliable and accurate.
So how many of you guys work for Ruger?:D

I don't work for Ruger, just own a few of their fine firearms . . . lessee . . .
Red Labels in 28, 20, 12
Stainless #1 in .25/06
Multiple 10/22's, all customized by me (anyone wnat to shoot for $$$ at 50-yards? Mine hold 1/4" groups with Match ammo when I'm "on")? Bring your fav Browning & money, birddog . . . I'll be gracious when I take it, lol.
Mark III .22 . . . absolutely deadly in my Son's non-shaking hands, lol.
Security-Six
LCP x 3 )bought a couple more for Daughter & Son)

Ruger stands behind every one. When I bought my 12 (used) years ago, it only had cyl/skeet chokes. Called & ordered Imp & Mod. I forgot to specify gauge; they sent both 12 & 20 & said "Send the ones you DON'T need back." That, my Friends is called exceptional "customer service." The 12 was my duck-blind gun . . . carrying it all day on extended Pheasant forays will turn you into: A) a man, or B) a man with a sore arm . . . the buggers are good-shooters, but a tad heavy in 12. On the plus side, the 28 is on a true 28-gauge frame & is an absolute delight to carry & shoot. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Have 10/22 also, love it! Spot on hitting the target nail on the head(use nails when stapler craps out) at 40 yards. My brother enjoyed shooting it, too. He went out and got one. Didn't have the heart to tell him I paid $60 for mine. Also had 357 blackhawk, nice gun, sold it because I never shot. Looking at Ruger 9 mm.
Don't hear of too many 28's out in the field, must be a great shot!
My best to Hank, he still at home on the couch, the front seat, and let you sleep with him on the bed?

Last edited:
Just added another Red Label to the family about 10 minutes ago, my 14 Y O son spent all his savings and bought a 12 gauge for $700, fixed chokes mod / I c . He's walking on cloud 9.

Kudos to your Son. Fine shotguns & a good price!

You would, RL12 . . . much lighter & a very good & durable Upland gun. I typically shoot 2&3/4" 6's and they do the job, but if a guy wanted to jump-up to 3" you can. I appreciate carrying the spare 20 gauge ammo, too. My 12 gauge partner & I use identical vests . . . I picked-up his by mistake last week . . . "Jeez, KO . . . what do you carry in this, an anvil?" Try it, you'll like it.

Since Ruger quit making the RL's, I'll buy every one I can find (at a reasonable price); they will only get more valuable. And if you ever carry a 28 . . . damn, it's like carrying nothing (and quite effective choked cyl or improved on the bottom, mod or imp mod on top, but you'd best bring your "A" game. I dropped 6 of 9 last week on a canned hunt; 3 were "my turn" on first shots . . . the other 3 were 2nd shots on birds that the 12-guys missed. On wild birds, the 28 is just "quick." My Benelli Legacy in 28 on the other hand is . . . "laser-quick." Enjoy . . .

Back