Birds up….

The G&F has been pretty giddy and unable to hold a secret. There were some news articles published DURING the roadside counts in mid-August that suggested bird counts are higher. Google and you will find.

While last winter was very snowy, there seemed to be less multi-day blizzards and much less prolonged time of severe sub-zero temperatures.

ND is more vague in that they publish the brood count by four "quadrants" and not by proximity to towns (old SD method) or by showing population density across a state map with counties (MN method).

side bar: I suppose in hindsight - SD would have liked to run and publish a count this year. :unsure:

Last edited:
One of my pals out here gets the report before it gets published…statewide grouse up 100%, huns 200%, phez up 80% in NW….I believe the grouse #…..5 of us finished before 12:30…some done very soon, some of us worked longer…scouting/hunting new ground…

I could have limited out today easily. I only shot 1.I don't need to stress these birds. My dog did excellent.

What’s the story with “stressed” birds over there? If you hunt a different piece of ground, are you stressing the birds where you hunted earlier? What about all the dog trainers who come up from the South with 40, 50 dogs, and horses in some cases, and train all August on wild birds? I’d think the birds would welcome one PBR drinking hunter and his dog with open wings! Just trying to keep up with the Goose…🍺🍺

Last edited:
What’s the story with “stressed” birds over there? If you hunt a different piece of ground, are you stressing the birds where you hunted earlier? What about all the dog trainers who come up from the South with 40, 50 dogs, and horses in some cases, and train all August on wild birds? I’d think the birds would welcome one PBR drinking hunter and his dog with open wings! Just trying to keep up with the Goose…🍺🍺
I like to shoot birds with honor. Some people don't deserve to shoot a bird imo.I don't like taking more than one bird out of a family. So I shoot one, move on down the road, maybe take another one.I don't need to shoot 4, no reason.

One of my pals out here gets the report before it gets published…statewide grouse up 100%, huns 200%, phez up 80% in NW….I believe the grouse #…..5 of us finished before 12:30…some done very soon, some of us worked longer…scouting/hunting new ground…
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

I like to shoot birds with honor. Some people don't deserve to shoot a bird imo.I don't like taking more than one bird out of a family. So I shoot one, move on down the road, maybe take another one.I don't need to shoot 4, no reason.
What impresses me is habitat preservation and creation…directly, indirectly. Heard recently that BMA’s are off limits to the trainers who show up with dozens of dogs on 8/1…I did some digging and found dozens of letters that were written to MT GFP voicing opinions on this issue…found it on the GFP website…that impresses me—action that resulted in positive change (from my perspective). I
can’t proclaim that I know who should/shouldn’t have the privilege of hunting bestowed upon them. I think encouraging young folks getting into the sport is great as well…good job on that, Goose…your nephew is lucky.

Back