Bird shooting lesson learned

Bob Peters

A bird flushed right in front of me, I pulled up, he was rising more than normal. I shot, he went down. Feathers everywhere and hit hard but got up and ran instantly. Skye had to chase him through a marsh and thicket but was able to get him. Examining the bird, I blew off part of his butt, a few shot in the drummy, and a bunch of feathers on the right wing shot off so only quills were remaining. I was so surprised and excited at the same time that I pulled the trigger a touch early. If I'd waited another second the muzzle would have continued through the bird and hit the head and neck area. Something I'll work on. Going with buddies to try northern SD next week. Hopefully get to scout/hunt the properties around Pierpont.

Last edited:
Sunday I made 2 pretty decent shots. The third, far & away the easiest, I just barely scratched the bird down, when he should've been almost vaporized. (Thank goodness for good pheasant dogs.) Testament to Yogi Berra's claim that pheasant hunting is 90% mental. The other half is physical.

I think that it is natural for our eyes to focus on the fastest moving objects in our field of vision. On a flushing pheasant that would be the wings.

Many wounded birds are simply shot through one wing. At least that has been my experience.

I've definitely cream puffed a few roosters over the years to the point where they were hamburger. I'm naturally a very quick shot so when a rooster flushes within range, I shoot. My brain doesn't have the time to tell me "let it fly further away before you shoot."

Plus I also hunt ruffed grouse and you take ANY shot you get hunting those devils.

I think that it is natural for our eyes to focus on the fastest moving objects in our field of vision. On a flushing pheasant that would be the wings.

Many wounded birds are simply shot through one wing. At least that has been my experience.
That makes sense John. And in this particular case, I think we really snuk up on this rooster, because he was really close. I just remember that big long tail waving in his tail wind. Hard to take your eyes off that, and could have drawn my eyes to it as the shot was triggered.

Back