Biggest bluegill ever!

quail hound

My brother caught this bad boy today at the lake, and now he's in my pond at home. Est weight 2+ lbs.:eek:

IMAG0231.jpg

Last edited:
Dandy Bluegill for sure

Biggest Bluegill I have caught to date is 1lb 4oz's. I received a South Dakota proud Anglers award from the state of South Dakota for catching him.

Here's a pic of him. He was frozen at the time but I had to get a pic of him before he headed to be mounted.

bluegill.jpg

Check out these crappies

crappie.jpg

crappie-2.jpg

Op, nice gill!:coolpics: looking at your pic maybe I over estimated the weight, he probably went 1.5-1.75 or so. He put up one hell of a fight, my brother wasn't sure if he was going to land him on 4lb test.

Quail Hound, I was questioning weather I was going to land this one before he broke off the line. A former friend of mines dad always said, if Bluegills came 5lbs..you would need ocean fishing gear to land them.

Nice fish there for sure. Think I'll go fishing.:)

Very Nice fish, you guys are really making me homesick. Onpoint is right, sunfish is a hardest fighting fish around. On light gear man are they fun. One of my fondest memories of my daughter, was taking her sunfishing on Ripple lake near Aitken, MN. She fished and I took them off the hook and baited her up for the next one......Bob

Last edited:
I love fishing for perch and crappie, no better eating than a nice gill. Plus is there any better way to introduce youngsters to fishing than catching fish one after another next to a good bluegill tree? I used to bass fish a lot, now I find myself throwing a simple blakemore most of the time.:thumbsup:

emmmmm nice diggers. Pound for pound the biggest fighting fish around. I love fishing big sunnies. My biggest is 11 and 1/4".
:coolpics::10sign:

I disgree i think the smallmouth bass is a much better fight pound for pound but that's just my opinion! Any ways nice panfish always fun and good eats .. :coolpics:

Gus, Question, To which fish family does the Smallmouth belong? Don't even bet against the sunfish being the better fighter. You would lose big time......Bob

LOL definatley sunnies. Have a one lb sunnie on and a 1 lb smallie, sunnies win.:D Nothing funner then getting into a batch of 9-11 inchers with an ultralight. It keeps a smile on your face for the day.:thumbsup: And they do taste the best for sure.;)

Pheasant Hunters Can Fish

There are some highly skilled fishers among the UPHers here. Great pics!

Dandy Bluegill for sure

Biggest Bluegill I have caught to date is 1lb 4oz's. I received a South Dakota proud Anglers award from the state of South Dakota for catching him.

Here's a pic of him. He was frozen at the time but I had to get a pic of him before he headed to be mounted.

bluegill.jpg

Check out these crappies

crappie.jpg

crappie-2.jpg

Scary big!!!WOW:coolpics::10sign::cheers:

Those aren't panfish . . . those are Frisbees with lips! Nice!

Back