Best place to live?

TO, agreed, but MN REALLY needs to work on the tax and small business situtation & laws vs. SD.

When I ran into Mary Kiffmeyer at a cell phone store a few years back when she was the current secretary of state, I went off about the small business situation. She was very receptive and nice to talk to. MN really needs to work on making it a small business friendly state. They really make it a pain in the ass vs. (example SD).

Anyway... MN is not that bad, but I sure like no seasons for walleye in South Dakota. Maybe multiple residencies if you have the cash!

There is one bad thing about MN..................The Vikings !! :D

Other than that it is a really good state to visit and the people are really nice up there unless they find out your Green Bay fan. :p

Everyone is forgetting the obvious choice...MINNESOTA! I'm in Central MN and can drive 2 hours South and be thick into pheasants or 2 hours North and be thick into grouse. 3 hours West and I'm in SD or ND.

Or I can just drive 15 minutes out of town and hunt deer and turkey.

Or I can hit up one of our over 12,000 lakes for phenomenal fishing (we call it The Land of 10,000 Lakes because we're so modest :) ).

You want trees? We got trees. You want farmland? We got that too. Outdoor living at its best! Sheesh, the state should hire me as a recruiter :D

Sure is damn cold, though.

TO has it down. I am staying put then right in Apple Valley MN.

Wife an I just left this morning to head to Lake of the Woods in pusuit of Walleye Crappie and Lake Trout.

Here is pic of 29" eye mamma caught last trip up before Christmas. And pic before morning we left which was -13 F.

Sorry, photo upload problem.

Last edited:
Sorry, photo upload problem.

You prime me for a photo, then let me down.:mad: I want to see that monster from the deep.:) Besides that here in SW Kansas we need to see fish pictures from time to time, lest we forget.

Hey are you realy the Marshal Down there? I may need a break on speeding tickets when returning to MN. Last time out Walleye fishing i pulled in a limit of nice eaters, and 3 Muskies around 40"s by accident, That was kinda fun. i will post some fish pics. too when this is fixed:thumbsup:

Well do you have your hand on the good book when you say that?:D
The guy I work with is from down that way, there must be some fishing, "No"? what about the rivers or somthing? If not maybe I can drop off some frozen walleye when I come to the Kansas field trials.

Well do you have your hand on the good book when you say that?:D
The guy I work with is from down that way, there must be some fishing, "No"? what about the rivers or somthing? If not maybe I can drop off some frozen walleye when I come to the Kansas field trials.

If you swing by Mankato ever, please drop off some fresh walleye to my mom's business (She's up by the River Hills Mall). If you tell her you got fresh walleye she will go nuts.

Whenever I bring her walleye, she hoards it like it's her last meal. The way to her heart is with walleyes or some good pan fish.

Ok, wishful thinking on my part, but why not try?

My two bits. Grew up in SD. Lived in MN for 22 years now. MN deer hunting could be the best in the nation ...... but it's not even close. Because the DNR and apparently a majority of the hunters think it's really cool to shoot the first buck that passes by. MN is the ONLY STATE I have ever heard of where you buy a buck tag over the counter, but have to apply for a doe tag!!! WTF. Every hunting season in the Dakotas there are MN license plates all over the place. But I've never heard of a SD or ND resident coming to MN to hunt, have you? That should tell you something. Sure the fishing might be OK, but anyone can come to MN to fish with no license quotas. And the taxes are terrible. And Minnesotans continue to elect a ton of democrats. Sorry to rag on MN. Not sure of the answer to the best state question. Depends on your priorities - - if pheasants then SD or ND.

steamn,

Now you know someone from SD that goes to MN to hunt pheasants. :)
I've had a MN license the past 3 years. I make 2-3 trips back to my old home town of Canby each year to hunt with some old high school friends. But for me it's about the hunt and friendships rather than the number of birds harvested. I've never brought a MN pheasant home. I give them to the buddies. I get enough SD birds.

Dakotazeb

Also I want to add that MN contributes to the well being of your states big time so don't knock em too bad they suport your economy in a big way. Also I know of alot of business out there that went under do to the decline of the NR's coming out there. The Missoura, drying up and the changes in laws ect.And I don't know where you deer hunted but it certainly was not the whole state. I have a few on the wall that go over 150 -170". And see alot bigger harvested every year. I think the pheasant hunting in alot of the state has been comparible to both dakotas lately believe it or not it is a fact and I can prove it where I hunt. I used to hunt alot around polock, Westfield, Strasberg,Onaka, sanaka ect. and that is some of the best area out there and it does compair.I have found better in Iowa. It goes both ways, I don't know what the beef is about MN but I see tons of the border plates here fishing and other things so we have to remember we all are from The USA! and our brothers bleed the same to keep us thata way.:cheers:

I won't recommend Dodge City. Many of us are wanting to "get the heck out of Dodge".

I won't recommend Dodge City. Many of us are wanting to "get the heck out of Dodge".

!Por Que! I very much enjoyed my trip to Dodge City this year. I would say it is usually my favorite hunting trip of the year. (I generally make three or four short trips to other parts of the state) We shot some big 'ol roosters out there!

Of course, I guess I'll stay in Eastern KS for fishing season for obvious reasons.

Our car broke down in Dodge. We had little kids and the weather miserable, it was mid Feb. We spent about 24 hours in Dodge. Funny, the repair Foreman promised to get us out of Dodge before sundown. Everybody we met in Dodge treated us good.

Stay out of SD.
THE FISH DON'T BITE. THE PHEASANTS ARE WILD AND THE PEOPLE CRANKY.
YOU CAN'T GET A GOOD MEAL AND THE STRIPPERS ARE UGLY.
THE WEATHER IS TOO HOT, TOO COLD, AND NEVER "JUST RIGHT". PLUS IT IS ALWAYS TOO WINDY.
I KNOW 'CAUSE I HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 60 YEARS.
________
ULTIMATE FIGHTER

Last edited:
Well The silk purse has many fetures, Wind can be sold now,There is also the fact that the snowmobilers don't have to worry about running into as many trees.The rest you find prety much anywhere, weather, cranky people ect. But one must believe that they do have some of the best hunting in the world:thumbsup:

Back