Best Memory of the 2011 Season

Perhaps a little insight to #2,(if you can add more, please do)...
Years ago, farmers virtually were the only ones driving pick-up trucks. Some time back, don't recall where, an acquaintance and I were riding through the countryside. I noticed he would occasionally give a small wave with his index finger , just lifting it off the steering wheel, to passing motorists, but not everyone. After awhile, my curiosity peaked, so I asked him what the incospicuous finger wave was all about. He explained to me in short that you only do it to pick-up trucks, that it was out of respect to the farmer.
I still do when out in farm country, including any farm implement,and tell anyone riding with me about it, that it is the unwritten law of the land. In most rural areas, you'll get the finger wave back. Don't recommend it in urban areas, more likely to get middle finger back.
PS I still pull over if I can for funeral processions and turn on my headlights

Ah yes,the ole one finger wave,I know it well.I wave to everyone,but your friend is correct,it is considered poor manners to not acknowlege another's presence in ranch country.I think it's something held-over from a time when rural folks seldom saw anyone who didn't live in the same house.I remember as a kid staying at the Family ranches in Harding CO,it was a big event to get company,and amongst the grown-ups, simple conversation was a cherished pastime. We kids weren't so easily pacified,though.Our socialization usually was centered around killing,or destroying, something.It was the Sheriff who taught me the one finger wave.He had it down to an artform.

The one finger wave is not a SD exclusive move. As soon as you leave the pavement and get on a dirt road out here everybody gives the wave. Yep, even in Cali people respect a guy in a dirty truck on a back road.

Thanks for the responses...

I have a copy of the 2011 SD Atlas that shows all the public land, and I've also found the SD websites where you can download the GPS maps, as well as the SD WILMA application which allows you to find all the data that is in the SD Atlas online. That has revealed a lot of great information so far.

One thing I'm wondering is where to focuse my efforts? South East, North East, East Central, Central part of the state??...I saw the SD map that shows pheasant densities, but I'm thinking the public lands in the 'high' density areas nearest the larger cites get pounded the most, and am thinking areas that have the most public land opportunities, even if they aren't in the 'highest' density areas might be a better place to focus...even though its early in 2012 I want to get me homework done early :)

Again, thanks to everyone for the guidance!

There have been great #'s of pheasants in every part of SD I've stepped foot in. I've never been W of the river, nor have I hunted near the city in the SE corner. Point is, unless you're from SD, I don't think you'd notice a difference from a "high-density" county vs. one of the others shaded a color other than red. If hunting public land, as you stated there should be less pressure in those areas that aren't highlighted in red as being the highest densities in the state.

Perhaps a little insight to #2,(if you can add more, please do)...
Years ago, farmers virtually were the only ones driving pick-up trucks. Some time back, don't recall where, an acquaintance and I were riding through the countryside. I noticed he would occasionally give a small wave with his index finger , just lifting it off the steering wheel, to passing motorists, but not everyone. After awhile, my curiosity peaked, so I asked him what the incospicuous finger wave was all about. He explained to me in short that you only do it to pick-up trucks, that it was out of respect to the farmer.
I still do when out in farm country, including any farm implement,and tell anyone riding with me about it, that it is the unwritten law of the land. In most rural areas, you'll get the finger wave back. Don't recommend it in urban areas, more likely to get middle finger back.
PS I still pull over if I can for funeral processions and turn on my headlights
The finger wave is very big in SD. I do it pretty much all the time in rural areas. If you get a little behind acknowledging the finger wave, you give a quick down nod of the head. The UPS guy and I do it almost daily. Most females do not respond, so you weed them out. They are distracted enough

The finger wave is very big in SD. I do it pretty much all the time in rural areas. If you get a little behind acknowledging the finger wave, you give a quick down nod of the head. The UPS guy and I do it almost daily. Most females do not respond, so you weed them out. They are distracted enough

Same here on the backroads of KS. Thanks for the laugh "they are distracted enough":D

I frequently see a one-finger wave during rush hour here in the Twin Cities metro, but it's a little different than the one you guys have been describing..oh and females have no problem giving and noticing the one I'm talking about :p

Ah yes,the ole one finger wave,I know it well.I wave to everyone,but your friend is correct,it is considered poor manners to not acknowlege another's presence in ranch country.I think it's something held-over from a time when rural folks seldom saw anyone who didn't live in the same house.I remember as a kid staying at the Family ranches in Harding CO,it was a big event to get company,and amongst the grown-ups, simple conversation was a cherished pastime. We kids weren't so easily pacified,though.Our socialization usually was centered around killing,or destroying, something.It was the Sheriff who taught me the one finger wave.He had it down to an artform.

I had relatives 14 south of Faith and in Bison. 70 or more miles apart and in the old days it was nothing to drive that far "for a cup of coffee" on a moments notice.

Last Saturday of the season it was just T and B of "T and B Hunting". I enjoy taking people hunting with me it was just a nice change of pace to not have to cordinate a hunt.

I see many of you had some great memories in South Dakota in 2011...wondering if I could pick fellow Wisconsinite's brains on this .. being fairly new to pheasant hunting as well as never being to SD before for pheasants, after the fun I had in WI this year I would love to plan a trip out there for 2012...I've already started my research and planning on this but any help would be appreciated..

Do you hunt public or private land?
If private, what is fair amount to pay for access?

If public, how was your experience out there, and (without giving away any secret hotspots) what are some strategies for finding birds on pressured public lands and what general areas of the state offer the best public hunting (for example, if someone from South Dakota asked me for advice on coming to WI for a November bowhunt on public land I would tell them to NOT go to Buffalo county as public land there is highly pressured and nothing like what you see on the outdoor shows, stay away from the southern farmland as it is all likely private and I would give them pointers on scouting the thousands of acres of county forest land in Rusk, Douglas, and Washburn counties...)

So far I'm thinking of doing a midweek trip and going a couple weeks after the season opens. I've gotten a copy of the SD public lands atlas, and am planning on getting a mapping GPS and downloading the maps of public land. But the state is huge and just figuring out where to start is the hard part!
Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

I was in your shoes 5 years ago. I went nuts trying to do research. I could recommend some things to do and not do. Like where NOT to stay. Holy crap did I stay in some DUMPS! Maybe another thread is more appropriate.. or even in person. Not sure where you live

I frequently see a one-finger wave during rush hour here in the Twin Cities metro, but it's a little different than the one you guys have been describing..oh and females have no problem giving and noticing the one I'm talking about :p

if you check back to my first mention regarding the wave you will se that I did not recommend it in urban areas for that reason. I refrain from getting caught up in road rage(ok, try real hard) and I have to deal with the metro Chicago and city traffic for work. I believe in God; what goes around, comes around; you reap what you sow. That other person obviously is having a worse day than me, I don't know to what extent, and is bitter. They could have lost a loved one, found out they have cancer, house caught fire, you just don't know. I am not going to add fuel to that(no pun intended). Besides most of the time I'm driving around in a big plumbing box truck with company name and phone number on it, so I HAVE to behave(if I want to keep my job, so I can afford to go to South Dakota!)

Sorry to hijack the thread w/ my SD questions, I will start another thread w/ any other SD related questions...

However this is another fond memory for me for this year..finding this forum so I have a place to get answers to my pheasant hunting newbie questions!

if you check back to my first mention regarding the wave you will se that I did not recommend it in urban areas for that reason. I refrain from getting caught up in road rage(ok, try real hard) and I have to deal with the metro Chicago and city traffic for work. I believe in God; what goes around, comes around; you reap what you sow. That other person obviously is having a worse day than me, I don't know to what extent, and is bitter. They could have lost a loved one, found out they have cancer, house caught fire, you just don't know. I am not going to add fuel to that(no pun intended). Besides most of the time I'm driving around in a big plumbing box truck with company name and phone number on it, so I HAVE to behave(if I want to keep my job, so I can afford to go to South Dakota!)

I hear ya....I don't get involved in the "I94 Altercations" either..but its not uncommon to see it between two cars ahead of me...usually when one gets cut off by another coming off or getting on an exit ramp...And the 'rural' one finger wave happens in Northern WI as well.

Oh ya,used to see that one on my daily commutes into Milwaukee.Not gender specific.Usually some yupster in their leased BMW.

That's partly why I moved back to small town SD.Out here,if a car and a dog meet at an intersection,it's a traffic jam.

Oh ya,used to see that one on my daily commutes into Milwaukee.Not gender specific.Usually some yupster in their leased BMW.

That's partly why I moved back to small town SD.Out here,if a car and a dog meet at an intersection,it's a traffic jam.

MUST BE NICE! :thumbsup:

My apologies

Sorry to hijack the thread w/ my SD questions, I will start another thread w/ any other SD related questions...

However this is another fond memory for me for this year..finding this forum so I have a place to get answers to my pheasant hunting newbie questions!

...that's what happens when you're told to to stay home due to lack of work, and it's too damn cold to go outside.
Bottom line, I'd recommend hooking up with someone who has been, or is, in South Dakota to show you the ropes...I did. If you don't, you may end with a trip below your expectations (see Iowa forum regarding s d comparison).

My fondest memory is of my new pup vapor locking on a quail hidden under a downed tree. He was almost pointing upside down but he held and that brd sat there until my stupid friend who thinks my new dog will never amount to anything had a chance to flush it and miss. :D

I would have to say mine came in 2 moments. Odie at the National Open Championship getting a CM and River getting her all age win toward her championship in ND. There are hunting moments, but we worked harder for this.:thumbsup:

copyOdieNationaljpgcopy-1-3.jpg

P1010234JPGcopy-1.jpg

Back