Best inexpensive O/U?

Gatzby

I "need" a another shotgun....... I think I want a O/U to cart around as a spare. I really would like to get by as cheap as possible without buying junk. What do you guys recommend? I just dropped $1200 bucks on another pup so I better stay in the 500-600 dollar range. Is it possible to get something decent or should I wait till the check book police:D get over the last purchase. I doubt she will understand the need for another (expensive) shotgun.

One of my hunting partners carried a Yildiz (Academy Sports) as a backup. Over the years he gradually carried it more and more until it became his primary. He never had any problems with it and I liked it so much I bought a Yildiz S/S .410 for dove and rabbits. Check em out if you can - don't remember how much he paid but it was well within your target.

mossburg or CZ

A lot of guys don't like them but the Russian Baikal, is a good cheap gun they don't look the best. I have read where this writer said they were so well built you could use it for a tire iron. I have had one a while back tight as heck but no trouble at all......Bob

I've seen some pretty nice used SKB or Ithaca O/U's on GunBroker.com for what you want to pay. And for just a little more you might be able to pick up a Ruger or a Citori.

Thanks Dakotazeb I am interested. I always regret a purchase when I try to go cheap. Used may be the answer.

Yildiz

I've got a Yildiz o/u as my backup gun also. they're cheap at $399 and come with ejectors. Very light, the only issue I've had with it is occasionally a shell will not eject. Maybe 1 out of 50.

I've got a Yildiz o/u as my backup gun also. they're cheap at $399 and come with ejectors. Very light, the only issue I've had with it is occasionally a shell will not eject. Maybe 1 out of 50.

I have heard very good reports on these also.

I have a Yildez that I couldn't be happier with, I've had zero problems and it has become my favorite field gun and it's not even close!

I've seen some pretty nice used SKB or Ithaca O/U's on GunBroker.com for what you want to pay. And for just a little more you might be able to pick up a Ruger or a Citori.

2X

I agree with DZ. With the Obama economy the way it is right now, there are a lot of good quality guns on the block and some for pretty cheap money.

Buy a pre-owned gun with some of the "new" worn off. In the long run you will be better off with a Beretta, Browning, Ruger, SKB etc. These guns hold their value and you can get parts should you ever need them.

I am very leary of a O/U from an unknown brand/maker.

NB

I have 2 CZ's
12 ga Redhead Deluxe 26" and a 20 ga Woodcock Deluxe 26" and theyre both solid guns.
Dont expect a light weight gun but they have been very reliable. Prices new are at least in your range - watch the used auction boards and you should be able to find one in your range.
Good Luck in your search

I'm using a Mossberg Silver Reserve. Affordable, fits me great, feels perfect on swing - I'd recommend it.

Stoeger makes a nice cheep over/under. I think you can pick one up now for around $325. I shot one for a while and never had any problems with it. They are good guns for the money. I believe it's the Stoeger Condor.

Stoeger makes a nice cheep over/under. I think you can pick one up now for around $325. I shot one for a while and never had any problems with it. They are good guns for the money. I believe it's the Stoeger Condor.

I had one of those
If it had ejectors I would still be shooting it. I liked that gun and more importantly, was deadly with it.

I shoot an older Baikal that has more rounds through it than I could even lie about and never had a problem. My dad has a CZ and the first one the stock started flaking and the blueing coming off of the barrel. We sent it in and without question they replaced the gun, good customer service.

I always regret a purchase when I try to go cheap.

That is what I have decided myself over the last 10 years or so. When I was younger and had a little bit of money, I'd buy the first gun I came to that filled the niche. Then I'd end up regretting it because it was the entry level version of something. For just a few dollars more I could have got something that I would have liked better, that would have more resale value, etc.

Now, I spend a couple hundred more and am happy with what I end up with.

Back