best dog you have EVER hunted behind?

I would have to say the one I have now. Tony and he is a Brittany. I also has one other back in 1956 when I start hunting, I had a GSP his name was Brandy. He and Tony are a lot a like. They both have a Ton of natural ability......Bob

I would have to think outside the box on this one and go way back to my coon hound days. I had a dog named Bo and he was a Bluetic coon hound. I got him from Rick Good in Des Moins IA, Out of his world Champion Goods Blue Abby and a dog he had Named Cheater. I competed in night hunts back then and hide hunted. He was one hell of a dog. What they did in the dark was amazing. Almost brings a tear thinking back to those days and dogs. They were something else. Our bird dogs don't know how easy they got it. Great post
:cheers:

Featherfoot's Hurricane Holly--- Pudelpointer --- warp speed but close, never misses a thing and tracks like a lazer.
Here she is pointing a hen on a nest while she was still nursing pups. Dog just won't quit.
________
Plymouth Howler Specifications

Last edited:
Zeke (aka: Big Dog) 85 lb. GSP. Was a bird finding machine!!!! RIP.

Wiem

I would have to say one of my current dogs... A wiem/Lab mix named Kieser.... He has just continued to amaze me..... Here he is holding a point.... He held this for 4 whole min before he flushed it out....

Jesse
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
Slow starter, no prize in NA, ended up the brag dog. Gashed birds on occasion, but small price to pay. Woodcock/grouse monster, natural backer. Brilliant partner, I will likely never be so lucky again.

This is the first Bird Dog i've had but ill have to say Remmy is the best pointing dog i've hunted behind. He's a GSP 27 months, about 45-50 pounds he's on the smaller side for GSP's. He still needs some work on retrieving, but as far as finding birds, i've never hunted behind another pointer that works a field so cleanly. I can get through a field and be confident there wasn't a bird we walked over. He's not a big runner like most GSP's but he checks EVERYTHING for scent, and tracks birds like he's on a mission.

and if you havn't seen..heres a picture of him locked in on a bird :-D

PB270005.jpg

Difficult question

My favorite dog was a brittany/GSP cross. He didn't like to retrieve much (lack of good training on my part), but he would find my dead birds for me. I loved just following behind him in a CRP field. Forget the blockers, cutting corners, hunting the best part of the field first and so on.....just follow the intelligent dog to the birds.

As far as which dog was the very best hunter, it is hard to say. I've yet to find a dog that didn't have good days and not so good days. The cross breed was probably the most consistent dog I've ever had and definately the most loyal! It is nice to have a dog that hunts to "serve" you.

Kody
German Shorthair Pointer
I rescued him at 8 months, my boss and friend took him to a preserve and hunted over him for me(I was out of town). Boy did I get lucky. He hunts like a champ, he will retrieve and he is relentless when he tracks the birds. He loves to hunt so much that when we're in the field and I call him back to me when the rest of the group is turning a corner and we're waiting for them to make the sweep. that he whines non stop. As soon as I turn him back out hunting he's back to business. I love it...........:D

Ike - GSP; Current Status: 12 years old, Retired & Grumpy. The absolute best I've ever had.
P4140017.jpg

I'd say a Lab that was my first true hunting dog. Amazing nose and I think he wished I would cripple every rooster I shot at because he loved to track cripples and I have many memories of great retrieves of cripples. I mainly hunted late season cattails when I had him and I haven't seen a better dog hunt the cattails. I miss that dog especially when I hit the cattails.

I have posted this before but here he is with one of those late season roosters.
20938788_dc876d3bd6.jpg

That rooster pulled out all the tricks to try to out smart us but it didn't work out for him in the end.

My Best Dog

Name: Gus, the Orphan Dog

Breed: Brittany

Details: Relentless in searching for birds, rock solid on points, follows hand signals, retrieves to hand, great companion.

I would have to say, without a doubt, it was a Brittany named Belle.

Belle was what I call an "old fashioned" Brittany being heavier and larger than many of todays "small type" Brittanys. She was given to me by a guy who was going back into the service.

She taught me a tremendous amount about pheasant hunting on our trips to Iowa. One of my fondest memories was a trip we took to Iowa. We had been hunting a thicket around a small creek/ditch and I was tired. I sat down to rest and Belle came over, laid down, and put her head in my lap. I'll never forget that hunt.

I would like to own a Brittany kennel some day.

I dont think Ive ever hunted behind a really really good dog. Maybe its for the best. I dont need any dirty looks from my dog like others have had:p My 2 Goldens do a nice job but I dont think theyre A+ dogs

I've been lucky enough to hunt over alot of different dogs, and living in oregon birds can be tough to come by.....But a hunting partner of mine has the best hunting dog i've ever seen....

Jeager...5 yr old GSP. Jeager is a machine. Great nose, solid on point, retrieves to hand, never loses a bird etc.....

My GSP Penny would probably be second......

For Duck hunting

Tugboat

Cheeapeake Bay Ret.

Relentless on retrieving Waterfowl out of some of the narleys conditions never complaind and if you shot and missed the bird she would give you that YOU DUMB A$$ look she was joy to hunt over. RIP

Pheasant Hunting (still going on)

Gunner

Pudelpointer

I can say much on pointing breeds I have never had a pointing dog before, I had him for 1 1/2 years so far, he has impress me on how fast he picks up things up and he points great, hell the person I hunt with is a big time Chessie man he was thinking on to taking him to SD this year, But I guess he did not want his dog being shown up. :p

Last edited:
Best natural dog was a male Golden Retriever named "Fred" from Frisbie Kennels, best all around dog was a female black Lab named "Cody" from Dokken Kennels.

I recall a Brittany, twenty five years ago. Low to the ground and constantly hunting; great pointer and would retrieve as well.

My current Golden (almost 8 yrs. young) is among the best for nose - not too many get by him. Very aggressive and hunts all day. Great retriever, probably his best quality.

jon

Back