Best Breed ?

I think if it were me I would take a real close look at a pudelpointer. Very versatile breed, little to no shedding which would be nice for the house.

If I ever get another dog that points that's what I am thinking about. Although my next dogs are going to be a Chesapeake and a Mountain Cur for hunting furry critters.

I agree with Duck I think a Pudel Pointer is a very good choice, I like the breeders having strict breeding rules. Even though I rescued mine I can't believe the natural ability of this breed, you will probably pay little more but you get what you pay for.

One note: I believe Uncle Buck's or his son has a upcoming litter so if you want to know more about the breed contact him, good luck on your decision.

Hello all. Some of you will remember a post I had a while back and some, well, not so much. Anyway, I am moving from Charleston, South Carolina to Utah and getting everything set. Didn't touch the LC Smith for those of you who remember but investigating the best breed dog to get for hunting upland. I heard Springer's were the best choice but my wife wants a Golden Retriever (just like every other woman in the world). However, not sure I want to deal with the hair and even less sure about their bird hunting prowess. Thought about a GSP but they're a little too hyper for me. Then, I considered a lab but I have three friends with them and each one has had some sort of hip issue, which I know is just luck of the draw sometimes and sometimes not. I had a Chesapeake as my last duck hunting companion and wow, what a hell of a retriever, but stubborn as the day was long. She was beautiful and a great friend until I had my daughter and then she lost it. Jumping out of windows in the house, growling at her and then hauled ass on me one day and never came back. Guessing someone stole her since she had her collar on. Anyway, I love all the breeds mentioned above but wondering what you guys think about Goldens and what other breeds you have found to be bird flushing champions as well as great around kids. Hope all is well your way.

OJM
You should get a chessie. They have a good work ethic, good in the house and with kids too. The aggression issues with the breed are a thing of the past for the most part. I'm sure will like the look of this dog. It is a deadgrass colored chessies. That color option varies from a little lighter to a little darker than mine.

Last edited:
You should get a chessie. They have a good work ethic, good in the house and with kids too. The aggression issues with the breed are a thing of the past for the most part.

Mike, these two could be littermates.
digitalcam3872.jpg

You should get a chessie. They have a good work ethic, good in the house and with kids too. The aggression issues with the breed are a thing of the past for the most part.

I love Chessies and have had several with no aggression "issues" (other than being protective). I hate to see breeders breeding out of a dog what was bred into them. I loved the fact that I could take my dog in my truck to town and never have to roll the windows up or lock the doors. Stick your hand in "his" truck and you very well may not have came back with it. :D

My BLF on the other hand would help a thief take the radio out of my truck and probably carry it to his truck for him. :D

But yes they are amazing dogs with an outstanding work ethic. But I think the OP had a bad experience with a Chessie.

I love Chessies and have had several with no aggression "issues" (other than being protective). I hate to see breeders breeding out of a dog what was bred into them. I loved the fact that I could take my dog in my truck to town and never have to roll the windows up or lock the doors. Stick your hand in "his" truck and you very well may not have came back with it. :D

My BLF on the other hand would help a thief take the radio out of my truck and probably carry it to his truck for him. :D

But yes they are amazing dogs with an outstanding work ethic. But I think the OP had a bad experience with a Chessie.
There is nothing wrong with tightening "a few loose screws" as part of a breeding program. The world is a different place than it was a few years ago and a serious bite is no longer a case of chastising the person getting bit.

Could be. Mine is 11 years old though and came from a breeder in TX (I used to live there). If not for the gray muzzle most people think she's 5 or so as she's very active with good muscles.
Mine is a year younger and came from OKC. This year her age caught up with her.:(

I prefer to stay out of the Chesapeake old vs new argument. There is really no wrong answer. I've had both, and there are pros to each.

McGee the pudelpointer is a good option, and plenty on here will vouch for UncleBuck.

Also look at jsdriggs thread "Picking up a lab pup in March." 50lb Black Lab female.:thumbsup:
Trieven Sungold are also Golden Breeders and have nice bloodlines

Kinda partial for life with your first choice my self.:thumbsup::cheers: When you see them doing well on quail, ducks, dove, chukar, grouse, pheasants and tharmigan, From Alaska to Texas, east coast, to west coast. It says a bunch for the versatility of the breed. Great dogs, great partners and house hold family members. But go with what works for you.

Last edited:
Do your research! What kind of birds will you be hunting? What kind of terrain? A big running pointing dog may be in order for out west, but that is something you need to decide. Talk to people that hunt out there and ask what breeds they run and why. Also, What size dog would you prefer? Will you hunt waterfowl at all?

Everyone is going to push their breed of choice on you but the truth is that any of the hunting breeds should put birds in your vest, especially if you do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder.

A breed choice thread gets the forum almost as stirred up as a good old dog food argument or a thread about spraying WD-40 on your gun. It's like kicking a beehive.

I have had dogs all my life, albeit not very many gundogs, and will agree with a comment made earlier, that personality and huntability comes from the breeding. My best duck dog was a cocker spaniel found as a stray. (Pretty sure she was an english cocker though). Also have a lab that was supposed to be a duck dog but wound up being gunshy, his unique traits are throwing the prettiest point I have ever seen on any kind of bird in the yard and his hatred of water. He was also a "recued dog".

My new hunting partner is a GSP that will come home on the 2nd. After taking advice from many here on the board I slowed down and did a lot of research. I looked at the sires and dams as well as the breeders facilities and the people doing the breeding. The difference in temperment in the the two litters my breeder had were nothing short of night and day. One litter was typical GSP, over exuberant and bouncing everywhere. The pups out of the litter I went with were much more calm but definately intense you could see the wheels turning behind their little eyes. I guess that is why they were already retrieving their bumpers. Anyway like I said it seemed to come from the breeding.

Temperment and drive can also come from how the pup is treated. We have an Aussie in the house now that in her original home was a couch potato that displayed nothing of the breed; she just seemed like an old lady. She now displays all the traits characteristic of her breed :eek:.

Have a Good 'Urn and Good Luck,
bones

Obviously everyone is going to recommend the breed they have and I would be no different. Do your homework and you can find an amazing field Golden. Theyre a TON out there.
That said - I dont know the terrain or area youll be hunting so youll have to do the research and figure out what works best for you all.

I didnt know bird hunters ever worried about dog hair.:confused:

What's dog hair?

Here is the thought process I went through when choosing the last dog I got (about 1.5yrs ago)

I have had a Weimaraner. Terrific dog. Smart as hell. She was large -about 75lbs, shed little but active and destructive when left alone. And I mean really destructive! She at a 10 foot couch I had in the basement one night during dinner.

That being said that was the best dog I have ever known however I wouldn't choose that breed again because of the size and demands the dog put on me. I'm older now, and don't want to be bossed by a dog!

2nd dog I got was a Vizsla. Great hunting dog. Great energy but as a house pet that hunts, that's what I want, he's a freaking handful. He's 10.5yrs old and he still acts about 2.5yrs. They are active, extremely demanding of attention, extremely needy but I love him. For in the house though the activity level is just too high for me.

Next dog is a Braque Francais (French Pointer). He's about 48 lbs, short haired and a much calmer dog in the house, even at his young age, than the other two breeds. He sheds a little but it's short. He's clean, sweet and he hunts like a champ. Built for the Pyrenees mountains where his parents came from. Great nose and tons of desire and has the showy pointer style which I love. I got him from Brad http://grandciellodge.com/. I will say that my dog is better looking than any on his website. :D

He's a great house dog who will hunt which was exactly my criteria.

Best breed really comes down to personal preference. Every breed has certain characteristics that make them who they are. You can ask this question to 100 different people and get 100 different answers. To many a certain breed brings them joy because of past experiences with the breed. It isn't fair to say that one breed is better than the other. For me GSPs have fit the bill very well. For me to say they are the best isn't fair, they just work with my life style at the moment. Who knows what tomorrow holds. You should look for a good breeder first and foremost. I encourage everyone thinking of a new dog to really think about what they want and then set out in search of said traits. In the end only you can say what is the best breed or rather the best breed for you. All that matters is that you are happy and the dog whichever breed it is lives a happy life.

Back