Best Breed ?

McGeeOJ

Hello all. Some of you will remember a post I had a while back and some, well, not so much. Anyway, I am moving from Charleston, South Carolina to Utah and getting everything set. Didn't touch the LC Smith for those of you who remember but investigating the best breed dog to get for hunting upland. I heard Springer's were the best choice but my wife wants a Golden Retriever (just like every other woman in the world). However, not sure I want to deal with the hair and even less sure about their bird hunting prowess. Thought about a GSP but they're a little too hyper for me. Then, I considered a lab but I have three friends with them and each one has had some sort of hip issue, which I know is just luck of the draw sometimes and sometimes not. I had a Chesapeake as my last duck hunting companion and wow, what a hell of a retriever, but stubborn as the day was long. She was beautiful and a great friend until I had my daughter and then she lost it. Jumping out of windows in the house, growling at her and then hauled ass on me one day and never came back. Guessing someone stole her since she had her collar on. Anyway, I love all the breeds mentioned above but wondering what you guys think about Goldens and what other breeds you have found to be bird flushing champions as well as great around kids. Hope all is well your way.

OJM

Hello all. Some of you will remember a post I had a while back and some, well, not so much. Anyway, I am moving from Charleston, South Carolina to Utah and getting everything set. Didn't touch the LC Smith for those of you who remember but investigating the best breed dog to get for hunting upland. I heard Springer's were the best choice but my wife wants a Golden Retriever (just like every other woman in the world). However, not sure I want to deal with the hair and even less sure about their bird hunting prowess. Thought about a GSP but they're a little too hyper for me. Then, I considered a lab but I have three friends with them and each one has had some sort of hip issue, which I know is just luck of the draw sometimes and sometimes not. I had a Chesapeake as my last duck hunting companion and wow, what a hell of a retriever, but stubborn as the day was long. She was beautiful and a great friend until I had my daughter and then she lost it. Jumping out of windows in the house, growling at her and then hauled ass on me one day and never came back. Guessing someone stole her since she had her collar on. Anyway, I love all the breeds mentioned above but wondering what you guys think about Goldens and what other breeds you have found to be bird flushing champions as well as great around kids. Hope all is well your way.

OJM

I went to www.wesslpointers.com and haven't look back!

Last edited:
Check out the Vizsla.

Good bird dogs. Healthy and sound. Mid-sized short-haired dogs. Great family dogs.

A breed that still produces Dual-Champion dogs (Field Champions and Conformation Champions in the same package).

For all-around flushing/family dogs, I'd go back to Labs if that were my desire. Springers are great dogs as are Goldens, but in this country where I'm at there are too danged-many burrs and longer feathered coats turn into burr magnets. I hunt with a Braque du Bourbonnais and Hank did a fine job in his first season, has a short coat with minimal shedding, is extremely intelligent (he's been quite easy to train), and has not been a destructive pup. They make great family dogs . . . he accompanies me wherever I can take a dog. The downside is that there are not a lot of breeders, but I'm sure pleased with my choice.

I personally like pointing dog, Setter in particular. But if you are looking for a flushing dog you might also look at a Boykin spaniel. They are pretty cool little dogs from what I have seen.

Both of my brothers have Goldens, and both are really great dogs in the field and at home with the kids.

But they are not Setters :D

I personally like pointing dog, Setter in particular. But if you are looking for a flushing dog you might also look at a Boykin spaniel. They are pretty cool little dogs from what I have seen.

Both of my brothers have Goldens, and both are really great dogs in the field and at home with the kids.

But they are not Setters :D

I heard that Steve. Boykin Spaniels are South Carolina's state dogs and pretty cool. Been researching breeds all day but I reckon it comes down to what my wife wants. As long as it'll hunt and does well with the family that's all I care about. After all, is she's not happy it don't mean shit what kind of dog I have because I'll be sitting my ass on the couch reading about your hunts.

GWP They're not hyper, like a lot of people assume but need exercise, just like any bird dog does. They're excellent bird dogs and will do well for your Utah chukar and blue grouse pursuits. They love water and will be perfect with your family.

Brittany,Frenck Britt,DD,DK,GWP,GSP,Vizla,Springers,Retrievers,PP and so on and so on just depends what you like. Good breeders can fill your bill with just about any breed.

I heard that Steve. Boykin Spaniels are South Carolina's state dogs and pretty cool. Been researching breeds all day but I reckon it comes down to what my wife wants. As long as it'll hunt and does well with the family that's all I care about. After all, is she's not happy it don't mean shit what kind of dog I have because I'll be sitting my ass on the couch reading about your hunts.

I have been there. My suggestion, Puppy pictures, wives can't resist them. They are your best weapon :cheers:

July2011_36.jpg

July2011_13.jpg

July2011_10.jpg

Brittany,Frenck Britt,DD,DK,GWP,GSP,Vizla,Springers,Retrievers,PP and so on and so on just depends what you like. Good breeders can fill your bill with just about any breed.

Thanks pheasantaddict. I am looking forward to making my way out there and getting on them. Just concerned about knowing where to go and what to look for. I have been fishing inshore around 20 years and believe I am pretty good. However, once you get "pretty good" at something you realize you really don't know anything. With that being said, it's going to be tough to start at square 1 with hunting birds in Utah. I hate learning something all the way over and having to depend on others to teach me and show me around. I know I get tired of taking people out fishing all the time and rarely do I get to actually fish. Anyway, thank you all for your comments.

HA HA HA, awesome setter. Thank for the pictures! She is all about getting a dog but I equate this decision with our wedding. I learned VERY quickly that my wedding had absolutely positively 100% nothing to do with me, at all! So, I just have to make sure she chooses a breed that will hunt and hunt well because she has a Golden in mind. I would rather have a Springer or German, but it's not a battle I am willing to wage as long as I get my way in the end.

Marriage: The fine art of letting your spouse do things your way (since I'm twice-divorced & a confirmed bachelor, it is apparent that I never mastered that ability . . . ).

HA HA HA, awesome setter. Thank for the pictures! She is all about getting a dog but I equate this decision with our wedding. I learned VERY quickly that my wedding had absolutely positively 100% nothing to do with me, at all! So, I just have to make sure she chooses a breed that will hunt and hunt well because she has a Golden in mind. I would rather have a Springer or German, but it's not a battle I am willing to wage as long as I get my way in the end.

There is nothing wrong with a Golden. They are a very popular breed, for a reason.

But Setters are Chick Magnets :D

There is nothing wrong with a Golden. They are a very popular breed, for a reason.

But Setters are Chick Magnets :D

Than I better stay away. My wife has a hard enough time quelling my already over-inflated ego. BTW, check out Friday's take.

McGee, There was someone looking for a golden in the puppy wanted section of the bird dog breeders forum here. JPH looks like the man to talk to.

Watch out for SetterNut those Setter pups are hard to resist.:cheers:

setter pups are hard to resist...

like other breed's puppies don't just jump into your heart?:p

Watched a news story the other day in which they opened a pen of lab puppies for some specialized training story...only word I could think of was a "spill of puppies," as they climbed, stumbled, and bounced off one another to get the person out of camera shot.

You could almost feel the little nails digging into your legs as they climbed all over your lap to adore you.

:D

I think if it were me I would take a real close look at a pudelpointer. Very versatile breed, little to no shedding which would be nice for the house.

If I ever get another dog that points that's what I am thinking about. Although my next dogs are going to be a Chesapeake and a Mountain Cur for hunting furry critters.

Back