Best Bird for Training

CSURam06

So I am working on my dogs steadiness and "Whoa", and my hunt club has pheasant, chukar and quail that I can use. Normally I use chukar, but when they fly, they usually leave the field that we are working in and we only get the one hit on them unless I shoot them. I am leaning toward using quail, as they don't seem to fly as far once bumped and I am thinking I could get more than one hit on the same bird. Does anyone else have any input on my predicament? I'm trying to avoid completely flushing money down the drain.

Put the chukar in a harness. Or, they make clips that clip on to they're feet. I use the clip with a piece of old water hose attached to it. The weight lets the chukar fly up about 15 feet but goes back down after about 50 yards. This works better for training. Sometimes they can shed the harness.

Take some twine, duck tape it to the chukers foot. Tie the other end to a water bottle, adjust the amount of water to effect how far the bird flies. For a pigeon an inch slows them down a bunch.

I like pigeons. They fly off the field so that you don't have a problem with a young dog running down a weak flyer. They also home to a loft so you can use them over and over. They are a lot cheaper than buying gamebirds. Then once you are good on the pigeons, finish with some quail or chukar.

Back