archery?

birdman652001

Anyone else do this?

I dont, but im thinking of starting a Bow for this year bow season.

so far, ive seen some nice bows..

Bowtech has a nice Destroyer 340 im interested in,

Diamond (i dont recall the model) (which is made by Bowtech as well)

and a Spitfire Bow.

so far they are in the 400 range or less that I want.. except the Destroyer, its in the 899.00 range.

whats a great beginner's bow..?

Im ranging to find a 60-70 draw fire.

My buddy has a Limbsaver bow and paid 800.00 for it. Thats crazy, I can find a Spitfire with just as much junk he has on his for 350.00.

the way i did it was bought a used bow to see if i would like it once i started to shoot i loved it, and a year or two later when i could afford it stepped up to a new bow a martin cheetah 320 fps and slowly added to it , i think by far bow hunting is the most expensive hunting but at the same time the most relaxing and most challenging trying to get a monster with in about 40 yrds.

i agree. start with a used bow. they are kind of like new cars. worth alot less once you take them home. lots of great bows out there. the MAIN thing is what ever you get have it properly set up for YOU. need to have draw length right. peep right distance also. start out simple and practice alot. practice is more important than brand.

first bow i bought was $75 ,also find a good person who you trust that can help you get set up right and find a bow that best suits you also see if you can find a shop that will let you shoot some bows to see if you like that particular model of bow.

so far i have found a used Bowtech on Ebay... Ive shot a bow before, just never done a HUNT with them.

a used Bowtech Admiral is what i found so far that I like.. draw weight is at 70 at draw length 29"

I am a Mathews guy, I think they are the best bow on the market today, and they are not far off on price from many others. I have been bow hunting since I was 8 years old. Shooting competition and owning just about every manufactures bows out there. The most important thing is to get one that will fit, you will find a Mathews that fits. There are so many choices. No matter what bow you get put a whisker biscuit on it for hunting. Yes you can get a used bow, but you can also get a very good quality used bow as well. I sold a 1 year old Mathews Switchback a couple years ago for 700$ fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. So if you look you can get a top notch bow used. I know some good guy's that handle all those bows you mentioned, as well as Mathews, and would most likely have a very nice used bow loaded for you at a great price. Several guys just trade in every year just to have the new model. Thats what I did with my switchback, used it one year killed several deer, and they came out with something else I really liked so I went and got it. I loved the other Bow. But I now have the Drennilin with a Cobra Sureloc sidewinder sight, whisker biscuit, peep as all have now,limb saver stabilizer, Fuse quiver, and Easton Axis arrows with the original HIT incert tecnology, toped off with Muzzy MX4 broad heads baby, Awesome piece of equipment. I plant arrows in a 5" circle pretty flat shooting at 70 yards no problem. It is not always the speed to look for. The Arrow and the grain of broad head can slow that effect but make the energy go way up with the faster bows. I can cork a deer right through both shoulder blades and still bury the arrow in the ground. So it is similar to muzzle energy as in a gun. I keep the foot pounds of energy up and take a bit off the speed. But I still shoot around 300 ft per second. Put a light weight arrow on and a light tip, and the speed goes way up, but the energy goes way down. Then you have a deer running off with a arrow sticking out of the shoulder. When you cork a deer with a MX4 Muzzy it looks like you shot it with a slug that has 4 razor blades. This shop I know will work well with you and set you up with a fine tuned bow. They will spend all day indoor shooting, checking speed and energy. Also paper tuning your bow, free. You will get the best deal you can find from these fellas. And they are very good at what they do. If you want contact info shoot me a PM and I will hook you up, it might be a drive, but well worth it. If you know what draw and some other things your after you can call and see what they have. Now is a perfect time for used stuff.

2010 Bowtech Admiral for me
huntersfriend.com is a great place to get one.
be aware of nationalarcherysupply.com

I am a Mathews guy, I think they are the best bow on the market today, and they are not far off on price from many others.

I knew the was a reason I liked you so much FC.

I too shoot Matthews switchback and Muzzy 4 blades. Swear by a range finder as well.

Birdman, used is the way to go as used bows depreciate a ton. Especially when all gear on them is factored. I know diamond, hoyt and bowtechs are all good bows too.

Good luck. You will be glad you did this.

fcspringer is right cant beat a whisker bisket rest for hunting . arrow cant fall off rest and is very quite. have shot deer and bear with this rest. helps when your shaking.. heck i think capt coot even uses this so it must be good:p

has any one use a Limbsaver bow? my friend swears by it. I dont know anything about them and he stated he bought his for 800.00...

you can change anything out on the packages on hunterfriend.
Not sure about Limbsaver bows, can't find much on archerytalk.
If I hadn't got the Admiral, I was seriously looking at a Quest

Ive tried out the Bowtech Destroyer 340 and its got incredible accuracy and very quiet as well. I have yet to try the Admiral as i want to. I have tried their Tomkat... which is right now for sale for 322.00 without it ready to go. I think Draw was 60 on that bow.

Limbsaver makes alot of accessories, but first time i ever saw a limbsaver bow itself. I personally wouldnt buy one that isnt a known brand as a bow for 800.00.

I am a Mathews guy, I think they are the best bow on the market today, and they are not far off on price from many others. I have been bow hunting since I was 8 years old. Shooting competition and owning just about every manufactures bows out there. The most important thing is to get one that will fit, you will find a Mathews that fits. There are so many choices. No matter what bow you get put a whisker biscuit on it for hunting. Yes you can get a used bow, but you can also get a very good quality used bow as well. I sold a 1 year old Mathews Switchback a couple years ago for 700$ fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. So if you look you can get a top notch bow used. I know some good guy's that handle all those bows you mentioned, as well as Mathews, and would most likely have a very nice used bow loaded for you at a great price. Several guys just trade in every year just to have the new model. Thats what I did with my switchback, used it one year killed several deer, and they came out with something else I really liked so I went and got it. I loved the other Bow. But I now have the Drennilin with a Cobra Sureloc sidewinder sight, whisker biscuit, peep as all have now,limb saver stabilizer, Fuse quiver, and Easton Axis arrows with the original HIT incert tecnology, toped off with Muzzy MX4 broad heads baby, Awesome piece of equipment. I plant arrows in a 5" circle pretty flat shooting at 70 yards no problem. It is not always the speed to look for. The Arrow and the grain of broad head can slow that effect but make the energy go way up with the faster bows. I can cork a deer right through both shoulder blades and still bury the arrow in the ground. So it is similar to muzzle energy as in a gun. I keep the foot pounds of energy up and take a bit off the speed. But I still shoot around 300 ft per second. Put a light weight arrow on and a light tip, and the speed goes way up, but the energy goes way down. Then you have a deer running off with a arrow sticking out of the shoulder. When you cork a deer with a MX4 Muzzy it looks like you shot it with a slug that has 4 razor blades. This shop I know will work well with you and set you up with a fine tuned bow. They will spend all day indoor shooting, checking speed and energy. Also paper tuning your bow, free. You will get the best deal you can find from these fellas. And they are very good at what they do. If you want contact info shoot me a PM and I will hook you up, it might be a drive, but well worth it. If you know what draw and some other things your after you can call and see what they have. Now is a perfect time for used stuff.

FC do you live in NU? And would this be Twin River you speak of ??? Curious as I am getting back into bowhunting afert taking the last ten years off with little kids at home. at ten my oldest will be coming along (hunting out of a ground blind) we have been shooting bows in the basement all winter. But looking for a shop.

Bman, I used to set draw at 70 but now am down to about 57lbs. Much more comfortable especially when cold and stiff in stand. Still smokes the deer anyway.

Yah I would be comfortable at 55-60 draw weight. For now I may be interested in the Vital Impact I found at Huntersfriend.com for now at a nice price of 459.00 for everything. case, set up, sight, basically ready to go bow.

after using that, I might invest in a Bowtech Destroyer, I shot one the other day and it was nice and smooth and pretty damn accurate.

StormC it is in MN, PM sent
NU?
That ground blind thing is one more reason I like my bows. The quiet,power,shortness,accuracy etc. It is easy to shoot from blinds and plain old trees. I move around allot and do different things so that is nice to have the compact effect as well. Many times I scout and just climb a tree with a few screw ins, and need to be able to swing and pull over branches etc., which is difficult with longer bows. Stand hunting with well trimmed shooting lanes it is not much of an issue. But I have done better with my surroundings staying natural and climbing unused trees. The Oak hardwoods around here give many opportunity's for some nice branches to sit and stand on. But this leaves crowded areas to shoot over or through, so another reason why I like a Bow like a Switch back or a Drenalin. Pluss the light weight factor and let off makes it easy to hold at full draw effortlessly for long periods waiting for a shot. Great spot and stalk Bow choices as well.

Last edited:
Back