Apple trees

greatlawn

I am thinking about planting some apple trees. Does anybody have any experience with them? The farm is by Emporia KS.

Thanks

apples

look up the agric. ext. at the university and see what they recommend, also pick a couple of diff. kinds and use trees that don't grow very tall

cheers

The apple trees are mainly for the deer.

I grew up in apple country where nearly every hill side had apple trees left over from the really old farmsteads long gone, I never saw an apple that a deer didn't like, grouse, turkey, just about everything likes apples and if you brew them I like them also

cheers

Just curious what you decided to do...:confused:

I'm kind of in the same boat, wanting to plant some fruit trees at the farm for dual purpose of wildlife attraction and collecting some fruit also.

I'm really leaning towards getting a few varieties of pear trees, but I looked hard at some apple and crabapple varieties as well. I may have to clear a bigger area... :laugh:
:cheers:

My friend who lives in Rapid City SD has several Luscious Pear (Pyrus 'Luscious') tress and they produce a smaller yellow pear with a slight blush. They are very well named--great eating, super sweet, they are hardy to -50 but can be grown in the desert as well.

I highly recommend them :thumbsup:

I went with Indidan Summer Crab Apple, Enterprise Apple and Initail Apple. They are disease resistant. I will let you know how it works out.

I will check those out, SDJIM, thanks.

Hope you do well with the apple trees. As far as the apples go, I was leaning towards Liberty apple trees with crabapples for pollination. But I'm not sure I've ever eaten a liberty apple, so I thought I would see if I can find some to eat before I commit to planting a bunch.

I collected a 5 gallon bucket of crabapples from our front yard at home, and dumped them around a trailcam at the farm. Didn't see much deer activity on them, but once the turkeys found them, the flock was on them daily until they were completely eaten. Not even a stem was left on the ground a week later.

Crabapples might be a pretty awesome Fall turkey attractor, as a side benefit.:cheers:

Nice work Jeff! Let us know how things work out. I have several crab apple trees in the yard. The deer love them.

I will check those out, SDJIM, thanks.

Hope you do well with the apple trees. As far as the apples go, I was leaning towards Liberty apple trees with crabapples for pollination. But I'm not sure I've ever eaten a liberty apple, so I thought I would see if I can find some to eat before I commit to planting a bunch.

I collected a 5 gallon bucket of crabapples from our front yard at home, and dumped them around a trailcam at the farm. Didn't see much deer activity on them, but once the turkeys found them, the flock was on them daily until they were completely eaten. Not even a stem was left on the ground a week later.

Crabapples might be a pretty awesome Fall turkey attractor, as a side benefit.:cheers:

I do that and the deer eat a few, but the squirrels really like them. I have live trapped about forty squirrel over the years to repopulate them at the Ponderosa.

A few years ago I knew of a pear tree at a vacant house in town that dropped a lot of pears. Got permission and gathered trash bags of them. I dumped them out and the deer really took to them. I had one bag that was set back by accident. When I discovered them they were fermented and pretty rank. I dumped them at one trail cam site. One doe stood there for about an hour and a half eating those high octane pears. I kept waiting for the frame when she fell over drunk, but she never did.

I do that and the deer eat a few, but the squirrels really like them. I have live trapped about forty squirrel over the years to repopulate them at the Ponderosa.

A few years ago I knew of a pear tree at a vacant house in town that dropped a lot of pears. Got permission and gathered trash bags of them. I dumped them out and the deer really took to them. I had one bag that was set back by accident. When I discovered them they were fermented and pretty rank. I dumped them at one trail cam site. One doe stood there for about an hour and a half eating those high octane pears. I kept waiting for the frame when she fell over drunk, but she never did.

LOL M.R every summer at my cherry tree the cherries ferment and i have very drunk robins in the yard. It is very funny to watch them.:thumbsup:

jmac,

The animal world can get pretty funny when they are tipsy. Back in my childhood we soaked barley in 55 gallon drums to slop the hogs. My much older brothers liked to hide one that dad didn't know about and let it ferment. They would bring it out on a day that dad was gone and the circus was on. Watching a big red duroc boar get crazy drunk was the biggest excitement we had at the Ponderosa.

Back