Anyone seeing any broods?

We have a farm in south central ND. We have seen a few nice size broods, 10 to 12 chicks, they are pretty good size broods so I assume they are from initial clutches. We have seen about 4 broods that size in last two weeks driving around on gravel roads. I assume if they were re-nests they would be smaller brood sizes (4-8 chicks).

Any way, my question is what else have everyone been seeing? Any nice broods? Does it seem better or worse than last year? It feels like to me, and what I have been hearing from other farmers around us, is this year should be better than last year.

thanks

I'll be in NC ND this weekend. Visiting with land owners and doing some backroading, doing a road survey for birds. I'll have a report.

same here wayne it looks like my family will be heading up to nd this oct instead of sd sd was a pain in the butt to find lodgeing and or a 2-3 day daily hunt for less then 6 guys so we said skip sd we will save $ and hunt wear the pressure is not as bad...

looks like oct.25-31 is our dates found some nice cabins for rent for decint $ works out to 40$ a nite per guy 5 guys it not a great deal but not a rip off either lol looking to hunt a little more pretty area also wear i was in sd it looked like most of pheasant land mn plus huns and sharptails in nd...

we will be in prime pheasant lands so i look forward to your report wayne... we will be north west of ur guide buddy by a big lake im sure u know what i mean? i hope birds are so thick they block ur path... lol

Last edited:
A friend and I are come up to ND at the end of September to do some Sharptail hunting. He has some young dogs that he needs to get into some birds.

Are you guys seeing much in the way of sharptail?

We were hoping to see some information come out from ND F&G about the hatch in a the different areas, before we decide where we are going. When does that information generally come out up there?

I have a friend working on the oil fields in ND. I believe he said he was in the western part of the state:confused:. Sorry that may not be much of a help.:eek:

He told me he was "seeing a lot of adult birds--no broods."

To be honest, I don't think he's looking for broods though. He's catching sight of the roosters flushing as he's driving down those gravel roads.

So I assume that the area of the oil boom, hotel rooms are hard to come by.

Is there an area that you need to avoid?

Broods

I'm here in Western ND right now visiting family. There are broods around, the landowners I've been talking to have just started seeing them. Quite a few being squished along the roads. ALOT of cover still as the yellow sweet clover crop this year is a record! So much cover, I'd say for every brood seen there are probably 6-8 you don't see.

Upland hunting will be just fine as it always is.

SetterNut: PM me when you can. Born and raised in western ND, made a work transfer to Colorado a few years ago but I still go back to ND every year for birds. I'll make sure you find some sharptails for those young dogs.

I'll be in NC ND this weekend. Visiting with land owners and doing some backroading, doing a road survey for birds. I'll have a report.

How did it go? Maybe u left your report on another thread. I was curious, I have heard good reports from most of my farmer buddies. No concrete numbers just optimistic from what they are seeing...... they might just sound overly positive to me, because in the past the reports have usually been on the negative side.

A friend and I are come up to ND at the end of September to do some Sharptail hunting. He has some young dogs that he needs to get into some birds.

Are you guys seeing much in the way of sharptail?

We were hoping to see some information come out from ND F&G about the hatch in a the different areas, before we decide where we are going. When does that information generally come out up there?

I didn't see any sharptail. I hardly ever do. We don't have a ton of them around us. Way more partridge and pheasants then sharptail. Sorry.

Pheasanthunt , where bouts is your farm? We hunt in stutsman county every year. People talk about seeing partridge but ive only ever seen one small covey. Do you ever get into huns while hunting?

How did it go? Maybe u left your report on another thread. I was curious, I have heard good reports from most of my farmer buddies. No concrete numbers just optimistic from what they are seeing...... they might just sound overly positive to me, because in the past the reports have usually been on the negative side.

We drove some 300 miles on back roads and checking public areas. Mostly North and West and SW of Minot. Pheasant numbers appear to be good wherever there is good cover. The good farming country, is just that, not much for the birds. I haven't heard official reports, but I bet numbers are up considerably from last year.

Pheasanthunt , where bouts is your farm? We hunt in stutsman county every year. People talk about seeing partridge but ive only ever seen one small covey. Do you ever get into huns while hunting?

Our farm is one county to the West...Kidder. We have about 2-4 Nice coveys of huns on our place most years. They are usually between 12-18 in each. We try to manage for them-- I never shoot a covey that has 5 or fewer in them. (was told about 10 years that was a good idea). I think it helps, but honestly I don't know. And when I am hunting pheasants in December I seldom take any partridge, I figure if they made it that long let them go till next year.

Pheasanthunt, You have a good plan.
You have Partridge, Keep up your management, good stuff for sure. :thumbsup:

We have a farm in south central ND. We have seen a few nice size broods, 10 to 12 chicks, they are pretty good size broods so I assume they are from initial clutches. We have seen about 4 broods that size in last two weeks driving around on gravel roads. I assume if they were re-nests they would be smaller brood sizes (4-8 chicks).

Any way, my question is what else have everyone been seeing? Any nice broods? Does it seem better or worse than last year? It feels like to me, and what I have been hearing from other farmers around us, is this year should be better than last year.

thanks

Hi, just curious, where is your farm? I live in SC ND (St Anthony).

Take care!

Greg

Back