An interesting conversation I had about ND and SD pheasants

Here is SODAK's info on preserves in their state.

YEAR # OF PSP'S SPECIES BIRDS RELEASED TOTAL* RELEASED WILD
BIRDS HARVESTED ?*BIRDS HARVESTED BIRDS HARVESTED
2012-13 203 Pheasants 403,380 237,965 202,991 (85%) 36,630 (15%)
2013-14 201 Pheasants 434,005 260,426 234,590 (90%) 25,836 (10%)
2014-15 197 Pheasants 420,074 268,316 234,003 (87%) 34,313 (13%)

I'm confused. I'm not following how the number columns relate to the heading descriptions. I assume they really don't mean they catch thousands of wild birds, release them and then do a harvest count of just those for example. What do the numbers at the end with 10% to 15% associated with them mean if you know? Can I buy a vowel Brittman?:confused:

Last edited:
SK does have a pheasant population and a season (might be resident only).

With ND Divide county being so good along with NE corner of Montana ... there must be some that make it past Border Patrol. ;)

Nope cannot make it across border - all being stopped and not allowed to cross without proper ID. :(:(:(:(:(

I'm confused. I'm not following how the number columns relate to the heading descriptions. I assume they really don't mean they catch thousands of wild birds, release them and then do a harvest count of just those for example. What do the numbers at the end with 10% to 15% associated with them mean if you know? Can I buy a vowel Brittman?:confused:

The SDG&F website is easier to view. Spaces and tabs to not hold on the submitted posts.

Year # preserves game bird
2014-15 197 Pheasants

Total Released Total Killed Released Killed Wild Killed on Preserve
420,074 268,316 234,003 (87%) 34,313 (13%)

Not sure how the estimate that 13% killed are Wild unless the preserve birds are banded or tagged ... or nasal tag imprints, etc...

The way I read the data about 10-15% of the birds killed on a preserve are wild born ... yet ...

This whole thing, I'm sorry is a bunch a hooy. All we know is they release a butt load of pen birds. We also know they shoot a butt load of birds. We also know there is a butt load to shoot. Other then that, I find it hard to remotely believe they have a way of keeping track, or for that matter are honest about it. (Being wild or pen). After all many are not honest in the fact that they claim to have you hunting wild birds in the first place. Yet release truck loads in the dark;).

Sure, "some" are wild in them places. They as far as I know do not tag or band birds so people have no clue, according to the 2 people I know who run operations out there, or guide at them. The laws are mostly drivin by the business end of things out there, so that would only serve to shoot themselves in the foot.

In all reality, if you pay to play its your risk. You most likely are shooting some 10$ pen birds. And a few wild ones. Unless you pay a farmer just to access, or go to a place like Uguide or something.

Sure, if you pay to play, and they release a butt load of birds in them big operations, you will see lots of birdies. More in most cases then if you work at it. Hunting true wild birds is more satisfying in my opinion. And from my experience, with a good mutt, not all that much work in SD anyway. You don't need those 2,000 bird flushes just to shoot 3;).

If you just go do the public lands and good old fashion door knocking, or buy a feller a drink or two at a pub to get on a private spot. Your 99.9% sure to be hunting the good old wild bird:thumbsup:.

If I was going to go pay, it would be a place like Uguide runs. But that's just me.

I suppose most dapper dons all dressed up in their shiny new ( store not specified ;) ) gear could careless ...

Many of these guys that pay $500 - $900/day will fly in on private planes, shoot birds (preserve lets you kill more than 3 per day) with the help of a guide, relax at the lodge - repeat a few days and then leave with a cooler full of processed, vacuum wrapped, and frozen pheasants. I bet some never even touch a dead bird.

I was down in Arkansas (for work:mad:) during duck season and learned that there are plenty of "big money" guys who fly in, get decked out in new camo hunting clothes at MPW and then subsequently leave everything behind for the guides and staff to own.

Is what it is. Post was made to show that indeed there are plenty of birds released and killed in SoDak.

From the U-Guide site about South Dakota pheasant hunting. I suspect the nostril/toe method is how they keep track of the wild/pen kill ratio. It wouldn't be perfect but it probably is close enough to keep the GameFish folks happy.

I don't know if the rules would be the same for North Dakota.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/articles/preserves-vs-wild-pheasant-hunts/

SOUTH DAKOTA - PRESERVES VS. NATIVE WILD PHEASANT HUNTS

...Aspect 5 - Where do birds come from?

Preserve

On a licensed preserve a minimum of 300 birds must be released the first year and 600 each year thereafter. All birds released must be roosters and must be marked by toe-clipping or enlarged nare (nostrils). Preserves can release hens but they do not count towards mandated numbers or birds. If 800 birds are harvested (680 pen raised and 120 wild) the 800 roosters must be released in their place. Replacement birds must be released before hunting can be started on next day. Shooting preserve tags must be placed on leg or neck or all birds harvested on preserve.

Looks like North Dakota has the same pen raised identification process, so I think that's how they determine their wild/pen kill ratios.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t20-1c12.pdf?20151127080839

CHAPTER 20.1-12 PRIVATE SHOOTING PRESERVES

20.1-12-04. Types of game that may be hunted on shooting preserve - Identification of game.

Game birds that may be stocked on a shooting preserve and hunted under this chapter must be artificially propagated pheasants, quail, partridges, turkeys, prairie chickens, and any other species allowed by the director. The director shall determine the minimum stock of each species to be hunted and released on the permit area during the shooting preserve season. All game birds propagated, possessed, or released on a shooting preserve must have one front toe or one hind toe on either foot removed back to the first joint, including the nail, before becoming six weeks of age. An antipecking device affixed to the bird before it is six weeks old and worn by the bird until it is at least fifteen weeks old is acceptable in lieu of toe clipping if the antipecking device leaves a permanent, easily identifiable mark through the nares.

just my thoughts, why would i drive or fly 1200 miles to shoot pen raised birds when i can do that 30 miles from home? rather walk my ass off everyday to shoot 2 wild birds.

YEP.

If/when I on occasion jump into a preserve hunt - it is known upfront and at a cost of $15-$18 per bird. Always in MN.

Last edited:
The SDG&F website is easier to view. Spaces and tabs to not hold on the submitted posts.
Year # preserves game bird
2014-15 197 Pheasants
Total Released Total Killed Released Killed Wild Killed on Preserve
420,074 268,316 234,003 (87%) 34,313 (13%)
Not sure how the estimate that 13% killed are Wild unless the preserve birds are banded or tagged ... or nasal tag imprints, etc...
The way I read the data about 10-15% of the birds killed on a preserve are wild born ... yet ...
Thanks BRITTMAN. I think I understand now what they are showing. I apologize for being dense. About 175 wild birds killed per preserve ave. and 1,188 planted killed ave. per preserve. Doesn't seem like a lot of wild birds given how long the season is and how many hunters. One wild bird every almost 7 planters.

Back