Am I the only one with birds to eat yet?

remy3424

Once the season starts, I am eating pheasants like it is the only thing available, trying to keep below the possession limit. Once the season ends, I stop eating them for a few months, I just get tired of them, although I do enjoy eating pheasant, but once you eat 20-30 they aren't quite so appealing! I need to get the last few gone so I can get my appetite cranked-up for them, come the start of this season.

I usually am out late spring/early summer…I make a lot of my phez wild rice soup/casserole and bring to my office, give to friends/family/clients/auto mechanic shop, etc. I give a fair # of birds away as well. I enjoy eating them, but am happy I have others who want them as well.

Maybe it is a "regional" thing, but most folks around here won't eat wild game, the exception being deer jerky/sticks. I am not going to cook them just to give them away, if I go to that effort, I am the one eating them. I can't say I enjoy cooking. I used to ask folks if they wanted them, even when they took one/some, I sledom heard back that they liked them or how they cooked them, less than half I am guessing were actually consumed, so I will let people ask me about it now. Maybe it is the chance of biting a "shot", which there is always a chance of that. I try to get all that out, but it seems like once a season I will find one. My luck, someone eating one of my birds would break a tooth on a shot and now be looking at me as liable!

I have some spring turkey breast left

My stuff gets eaten, I see it…and hear about it…they wash the containers and return them. The people who get uncooked phez, like my dad, do eat them. I hear about it as well. I cook lots of food for others, wild game is a fraction of it. Enjoy it a lot!

My stuff gets eaten, I see it…and hear about it…they wash the containers and return them. The people who get uncooked phez, like my dad, do eat them. I hear about it as well. I cook lots of food for others, wild game is a fraction of it. Enjoy it a lot!

You know, dry ice keeps fresh and frozen food very well during shipping haha

I usually am out late spring/early summer…I make a lot of my phez wild rice soup/casserole and bring to my office, give to friends/family/clients/auto mechanic shop, etc. I give a fair # of birds away as well. I enjoy eating them, but am happy I have others who want them as well.
I'm never without wild rice...always have at least a pound on hand.

Once the season starts, I am eating pheasants like it is the only thing available, trying to keep below the possession limit. Once the season ends, I stop eating them for a few months, I just get tired of them, although I do enjoy eating pheasant, but once you eat 20-30 they aren't quite so appealing! I need to get the last few gone so I can get my appetite cranked-up for them, come the start of this season.
Just finished up salmon and halibut from last years Alaska trip!
Leaving a week from tomorrow for two weeks to replenish freezer😊

Me too. When I was in an office any BBQ or company dinner I was always asked to bring some. Particularily the Pheasant poppers or Kabobs. I have gotten pretty good at wrapping those up with my meaty fingers. I love cooking for others and having them enjoy my food. Sadly I did not hunt once last year. It is the first time in many years I didn't go. I got behind the dog situation and It just wouldn't be the same hunting without one. I am looking forward to this year and am going to make the most of it. As I get older I realize there is less in front of me then behind.

I have one package of venison sticks left. Ate my last pheasant in March. I did harvest a wild turkey at the end of April, but I gave that thing away. I don't care for them.

I try to finish the season with a full possession limit in my freezer every season. Which means when I go on my last hunt, there is 6 in my freezer and my bag limit is 3 more for a total of 9. I only hunt Minnesota so the bag and possession limits are generally stricter than they are in some other states. I can't just stock pile 20 of them to eat for months. I vacuum seal all my pheasants so they don't get freezer burned too.

I also usually bake mine on low heat for a couple hours in the oven when I make them, so firing up the oven in the summer for 2 hours is really not something I tend to do. I'm trying to keep the house cool.

Last edited:
Still have a few. Most of our pheasant recipes are "weekend cooking", not "weeknight cooking". Sometimes it's because they're high effort, high time recipes, sometimes it's because my wife "lets" me do most of the pheasant cooking. It seems weekends are getting busier and busier, so the pheasant inventory doesn't get depleted as fast as it used to.

Our family takes in pheasant meat to a butcher shop and turn them into phez bacon, phez breakfast sausage, phez ring bologna, phez sticks, phez hotdogs and phez smoked brats. Every hunting and fishing trip we take some of the products. Many new phez eaters are amazed of the variety the phez can be eaten. Pork or beef is added. It is a great option. Not all butcher shops are as talented with "game" meat. Enjoy

I’m dense, don’t follow, but I have shipped lots of wild game using dry ice to buddies who hunted with me but live out of state…slick!
He wants to try your casserole BB! Bet it is good eatin! I am not much of a cook, get me past breakfast and I do most of my damage on a grill and even more in the air-fryer now. My pheasant recipe is about as "complicated" as I care to get, but it is worth the trouble. Just pulled another out of the freezer, I just use the ziplock freezer bags and push all the air out, they store fine over most the off season. Pheasant is something I gladly eat as is, but venison, I eat and process the steaks, but the rest is processed by Tiefenthaler's in Holstein into cheddar/jalapeno brats & cocktail links usually, I might keep back some hind quarter cuts to make whole muscle jerky....but not a huge venison fan. Is it lunchtime yet?

He wants to try your casserole BB! Bet it is good eatin! I am not much of a cook, get me past breakfast and I do most of my damage on a grill and even more in the air-fryer now. My pheasant recipe is about as "complicated" as I care to get, but it is worth the trouble. Just pulled another out of the freezer, I just use the ziplock freezer bags and push all the air out, they store fine over most the off season. Pheasant is something I gladly eat as is, but venison, I eat and process the steaks, but the rest is processed by Tiefenthaler's in Holstein into cheddar/jalapeno brats & cocktail links usually, I might keep back some hind quarter cuts to make whole muscle jerky....but not a huge venison fan. Is it lunchtime yet?
I Didn’t believe in air fryers…. Until my wife got me one. I use it often and have made some awesome dishes in it including my favorite chicken parmigiana with Panko bread crumbs and homemade apple empanadas with a Carmel sauce for dessert

No game birds left over for me at all. I usually save all of mine and cook them up during the playoffs or at super bowl time. Pheasant poppers make great football snacks.

We ate the last of our phez a month or two ago, but still have 8-9 sharptail and 5-6 huns in the freezer. Vacuum-sealed, so they're in good shape. Plan to get to them soon, since Sept isn't far off.

Back