Alpha 100 collar ?

WV Brittany

I have a 6 month old Brittany that currently weighs about 28lbs. She is trained on a e collar, I'm looking to get the Alpha 100 but not sure if I should go with the mini or the standard collar. I hate to get the mini and she out grows it, but I don't want one that is too big for her either.

I was not sure which collar to get either for the smallest setter I have ever owned. I have been used to having bigger Ryman/Hemlock dogs that broke 80 lbs. The one I have now is fully grown at 30 lbs. Anyway, was able to open a box of the mini to review what size neck the collar band will cover. I have surmised the stimulation would be nearly the same whether the collar was a mini or standard size and the battery life for the mini would be less. However, I did not call Garmin to verify those aspects before I bought the mini. That being said- if I have another athletic 80 lb dog (not obese), I have no doubt the collar will fit him/her. Maybe you can review the collar band of a mini at a retailer for yourself and maybe call Garmin to determine what differences can be attributed to the size of the receiver on the collar.

I have 3 of the standard Alpha collars. I put one on my setter pup when he was in the 25-30 lb range. Its not an issue for him.
There are some guys that like the Mini, but it would have to be a pretty small dog for the standard collar to be a problem.

My female Brittany is just 1 year old and weighs around 30 lbs. I just bought the mini. Even though the advertised range of the mini is less than the standard the reports I've read say the range is pretty much the same. Biggest difference is the battery life is a little less with the mini but I didn't view that as a big negative. Battery life on the mini should not be an issue. Having a smaller collar on my dog was more important than a few extra hours of battery life. Either way you can't go wrong, but there is a learning curve with the unit. Good luck.

I was just going back and forth myself. Pup is 7 1/2 months and about 35lbs, think I'll go with the standard size after seeing setternut's suggestion. JP can still fit the pups entire head in his mouth which I find entertaining.

I just realized I had $700 in my PayPal account so I went ahead and placed an order. No sales tax, free shipping, and $100 mail in rebate, didn't hurt as much as I could have.

Back