Al Gadoury's 6X Outfitters

Wolfchief

I have never hunted gamebirds in Montana but have seen this business's ads in the past. The bird hunts are based out of Lewistown and the outfitter advertises Sharptails, Hungarian Partridge and pheasants; it seems they also offer trout fishing. Are there enough birds in the Lewistown area at present to justify a drive from Northern Indiana to Montana? Has anyone hunted with this outfitter recently? If so a reference or review of its services would be appreciated; thanks....would you return? Did you feel the value was adequate for the price?

Why don't you just stop way short of there and do it yourself. I started going out there in 2009. There are plenty of birds in Montana without having to pay to find them. Where I go is just across the North Dakota border. Block management program is fantastic.

I know al well we do amateur dog training in a group setting. I will do the best to answer your questions. He hunts sharptail, huns, and sage grouse with his setters. A retriever walks a heel during early season. Pheasant hunts are with his retrievers. His client list returns most every year. He was booked solid thru thanksgiving. He has guided birds for 25 years? Very knowledgeable. Hunters stay in a really nice B and B and gourmet dinners are all inclusive I believe.
He’s a trained fishery biologist and guides spring and summer spring creek fisherman as well
Those are the facts , that said he a wonderful calm and helpful teacher . It might be a once in a lifetime wold bird adventure for some people!

Why don't you just stop way short of there and do it yourself. I started going out there in 2009. There are plenty of birds in Montana without having to pay to find them. Where I go is just across the North Dakota border. Block management program is fantastic.
Good call

Thanks Dustin, the idea of Huns, sharptails and sage grouse appeals to me because where those birds are, you know they're wild; I never heard of "put and take" sharptails. I have a 15 month old yellow Lab that I've used on ducks and pheasants and would like to take him along. I agree the price is nontrivial but I don't do the outfitter thing at this level all the time. One can burn a lot of time driving around checking out all the walk in areas, many of which have probably been pounded recently by someone else. I'm 68 and don't have all that much time left given health constraints. I appreciate your information.

Thanks; I'd like to know about bird populations and hunter success numbers--I realize those depend significantly on one's stamina and shooting skill but assuming we can walk and shoot, what would a reasonable expectation be for a typical day's bag limit? Also, I've heard Al would prefer hunters use double guns. I have a Merkel 1620 I shoot well but I also use a new A5 Sweet Sixteen that handles great and I shoot it well too, would that gun be a problem for him? The food and lodging sounds good but I would of course be primarily going for the hunting....ie, if I spent 3 days there and shot only 3 birds I'd be disappointed.....no matter how good the food/fellowship....

I don’t know anything about this guide but i have been taken on quite a few fairly high dollar type hunts over the years due to work connections. My experience has been the places that are able to charge this much heavily rely on repeat customers and you do not get repeat customers if they are t seeing and shooting at pretty good numbers. Just my experience. As far as guns just reach out to him and ask but I doubt it will be an issue.

Jim here perhaps I can answer some of these questions before you call him??? If so pm me a phone and a time best to call

I have not seen a lot of huns the last 5 years. Montana is not as good as south, and north Dakota. It is way better than Iowa, and Kansas. Those states farm the hell out of everything. What you should do, is stay at the 20 dollar a night motel, and hunt block management. Save 3k...

I've hunted out West for many years. With those years comes experience. Don't want to sound like a snob, because I'm not. In my younger days, I knocked around on the cheap just like most of us. I don't stay in motels with cold water, snowy TV reception, uneven floors and drafty windows anymore. With respect, and I mean that because in my younger days I've been there and done that in spades, I know what it feels like. So, I don't do that any more. Nor do I seek a grand lodge and gourmet meals--I wouldn't know gourmet food if it bit me. Likewise, I've driven around looking for places to hunt in areas I'm not familiar with, wasting time, gas and money and going essentially birdless. No more; I don't have to. What I want is to meet an honest, no-BS individual to point me to where the birds are and let me hunt them. I can handle my dog, shoot and dress the birds myself. I'm willing to pay for the experience; in most endeavors in life, you get what you pay for. Just don't want to be short-changed.

Give Al a call and see how much hat conversation goes. Trust me there are no 20 dollar motels in Montana! I doubt you’d be in any way disappointed.
my opinion go for a week , do it yourself for 4 days . Then go for dessert and then go with 6x for the final 3 days/ a previous post hit the nail. You don’t get his re booking rates unless you deliver.

Recent podcast about sharptail hunting on UPLAND Nation by Scott linden might a good listen? Scott does a good analysis of prairie sharptail education. You will hear some 6 x references as well. January 5 2021 podcasts.

I've hunted out West for many years. With those years comes experience. Don't want to sound like a snob, because I'm not. In my younger days, I knocked around on the cheap just like most of us. I don't stay in motels with cold water, snowy TV reception, uneven floors and drafty windows anymore. With respect, and I mean that because in my younger days I've been there and done that in spades, I know what it feels like. So, I don't do that any more. Nor do I seek a grand lodge and gourmet meals--I wouldn't know gourmet food if it bit me. Likewise, I've driven around looking for places to hunt in areas I'm not familiar with, wasting time, gas and money and going essentially birdless. No more; I don't have to. What I want is to meet an honest, no-BS individual to point me to where the birds are and let me hunt them. I can handle my dog, shoot and dress the birds myself. I'm willing to pay for the experience; in most endeavors in life, you get what you pay for. Just don't want to be short-changed.
I know a town, where you pay 100 dollars for a motel, and don't have to pay anybody to hunt...And its good.

I know al well we do amateur dog training in a group setting. I will do the best to answer your questions. He hunts sharptail, huns, and sage grouse with his setters. A retriever walks a heel during early season. Pheasant hunts are with his retrievers. His client list returns most every year. He was booked solid thru thanksgiving. He has guided birds for 25 years? Very knowledgeable. Hunters stay in a really nice B and B and gourmet dinners are all inclusive I believe.
He’s a trained fishery biologist and guides spring and summer spring creek fisherman as well
Those are the facts , that said he a wonderful calm and helpful teacher . It might be a once in a lifetime wold bird adventure for some people!
Dustin--I'm still considering this. My son may join me as a second hunter, or my wife is willing to come as a non hunter (she wouldn't accompany us on hunts). Can I call you for details?

Back