After work

Wirehairs

Another rough day going out after work with a co-worker and shooting four Roosters, sure is hard living this way. The dog pointed three of these guys along with one that I very embarassingly missed:eek:

002-1.jpg

Nice shot.:coolpics: I need a job like yours. It must not pay much though I think it's time for a upgrade on your wheels.:rolleyes:

Wirehairs, sometimes I wonder if we fully appreciate what we have here in SD. I sure think I do, but some times it's easy to take things for granted. I had a luncheon to attend today so I didn't get out until later. Drove out to a walk-in area and hit the field at 1:40. At 2:15 rooster number 3 was in the bag. My Brittanys did great today! I was almost disappointed the hunt didn't last longer. This was in a WIA that I know gets hunted pretty hard. I know, I was probably just lucky. I could probably go to the same place tomorrow or next week and not see a bird. But there has only been 2 times so far this year that I went out by myself on public or WIA land and didn't come home with at least 1 bird and those were times I only hunt for 1 to 1 1/2 hours just to get the dogs some exercise.

I firmly believe that non-residents can have a successful hunt in SD on public land. It can be hit and miss, and sometimes you have to hike your butt off. But it's doable.

Zeb I think the residents that appreciate it the most are the ones that move here from another state or the ones who grow up here move away then come back. The people who grew up here and don't hunt anywhere else, don't know any different so it is that much tougher to appreciate. I moved here from MN one of my co-workers has basically never hunted pheasants outside a 50 mile radius of Winner, he has never had mediocre pheasant hunting in his life. Trust me though he knows he has been spoiled his entire life with pheasants. Either way I never get sick of seeing 100's of pheasants lift off an area and walking through it knowing there is still some birds holding tight in that area.

Wires, I also moved to SD from MN. Moved here in 1978. I grew up in Canby, MN in the SW part of the state. We had very good pheasant hunting in SW Minn. when I was a kid in the 50's & 60's. I go back to Canby once or twice a year to hunt with some old high school friends. Where were you from in MN?

I grew up in Montevideo, my Mom is from Canby. My Mom's farm is south of Canby on the Lincoln County-Yellow Medicine County line out by the old Bohieman Hall if you know where that is.

Back