A/T Tires

Toad

Looks like I will need new tires on my 4runner this Winter. I hunt usually 4 days a week from October-February. The afternoon trips are usually only 30ish miles one way, but I will also burn a couple days of vacation each month and rack up miles bouncing all over the state. I'm looking for suggestions for all terrain tires that can handle the highway, my daily commute to work, mud roads, and the occasional snow we get here in KS.

Good all terrain traction is paramount, and I definitely give bonus points for puncture resistance and durability. What tires are you guys having success with, and what tires should be avoided?

FWIW, my 4runner came stock with Nitto terra grapplers, which I thought had pretty decent traction, but I have had multiple punctures and I don't think I can push them much past 30K miles. About the only way I would buy them again would be if I had an extra set of wheels so I could save them for hunting season only, and not burn them up taxiing kids around town.

For an all terrain, you can’t beat the Cooper Discoverer AT3. However, I run the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro (their mud tire) on my pickup, and it’s the best tire I’ve ever had. I’m getting my second set put on tomorrow. I’ve never been stuck with them, even in some horrible muddy conditions, which you are likely to encounter on the Kansas pheasant roads. They also lasted for 70,000+ miles, handled great on the highway, weren’t very loud, and didn’t seem to negatively effect my gas mileage. Cooper also makes all of their tires in the USA. I can’t recommend them enough.

If you’re set on an all terrain though, I think the Cooper Discoverer AT3 is hands down the best option on the market.

The stock Firestone tires on a dodge pickup are terrible in the mud.So I am kind in the same boat and have been trying to figure out what to put on it. There are so many good choices but I have kind of been leaning towards falken wildpeak at3w

I use BF Goodrich A/T tires on my Silverado 1500. Best tire I’ve had. You can count on nearly 50 K miles if you rotate them every other oil change. Quiet on the highway, great on dirt roads, snow and mud.

I've have two sets of the Hankook dynapros on my truck and have had no complaints.

I've had the same experience with Hankook Dynapros. Good tires at a reasonable price.

Toyo's for me. Cooper, Mastercraft, and Hercules all excellent tires. Whatever you get, get a 10 ply. Unless you like plugging tires.

We have been using Hercules Terra Trac T\G Max tires. 80% of the driving is on gravel roads and they are lasting longer then anything else we have tried. They are a little loud on the Highway..But snow and mud traction is good.

We have been using Hercules Terra Trac T\G Max tires. 80% of the driving is on gravel roads and they are lasting longer then anything else we have tried. They are a little loud on the Highway..But snow and mud traction is good.

Yep I will probably go with a Hercules tire next time. I like Cooper (Mastercraft same company) but I did not get the mileage out of them. I would get to about 45,000 and replace them But the sand out here seems to eat them up.

Dakotazeb & Birdguy, I was on my second set of Hankook Dynapros when I sold my F-150. I would describe them about how you guys did. A good, reasonably priced tire... And I really like the Peerless dealer on North 3rd in Manhattan. His customer service is awesome. I'll probably end up putting a set of them on this 4runner unless someone on our forum directs me to the holy grail of tires.:thumbsup:

Dakotazeb & Birdguy, I was on my second set of Hankook Dynapros when I sold my F-150. I would describe them about how you guys did. A good, reasonably priced tire... And I really like the Peerless dealer on North 3rd in Manhattan. His customer service is awesome. I'll probably end up putting a set of them on this 4runner unless someone on our forum directs me to the holy grail of tires.:thumbsup:

I buy all mine at Peerless in Hays. They will order any tire you want.

I have had great luck with the BF Goodrich AT. Got them on my Landcruiser and 86 Runner.

Birdman

Hancook dinapro atm on wife’s trailblazer and mts on my truck. Had a set of dick cepecks on my truck that were mud eaters but lasted a whole 10,000 miles. Way to soft. Wife has close to 70,000 on her Hancock 10 plys

I've have two sets of the Hankook dynapros on my truck and have had no complaints.

The Hancook Dyna's are the best tire I've ever ran. Two sets on my old Z71 and new set on my new F150.

Dynapro ATM's are quiet, good when wet, acceptable in the mud and snow. Toyo Open Country quiet but not as quiet as the ATM's, ATM's better on wet pavement, the Toyo's are better in the mud and snow. Can get 10 ply in both. It's been a toss up for on these two for me lately, but I'm going to go with the Toyo.

Hancook dinapro atm on wife’s trailblazer and mts on my truck. Had a set of dick cepecks on my truck that were mud eaters but lasted a whole 10,000 miles. Way to soft. Wife has close to 70,000 on her Hancock 10 plys

WHOA! only 10K miles? I would be pretty furious on that one. That's my issue with the Nittos to a lesser degree. I'm only at 25K miles now, but I know they will not see another winter.

Does anyone run M/Ts full time? I feel like I would be wasting them for 2/3 of the year, just scrubbing them off on the pavement. But I bet it is nice having them on some of our garbage mud roads during season. Maybe when this rig gets to be high-mileage I'll get a new daily driver, slap some mudders on my 4runner, and save it for hunting season.

I run Michelin LTX m/s. Have run them for years on all my SUVs. My 4Runner, which I drive now, came OEM with Dunlops which hydroplaned.

Back