A/T Tires

Does anyone run M/Ts full time? I feel like I would be wasting them for 2/3 of the year, just scrubbing them off on the pavement. But I bet it is nice having them on some of our garbage mud roads during season. Maybe when this rig gets to be high-mileage I'll get a new daily driver, slap some mudders on my 4runner, and save it for hunting season.

I do, run the Cooper STT Pro (mud tire) on my F-150 and wouldn’t have any other tire. I’ve been in some horrible mud, and have never been stuck with them. One of the biggest reasons I like them is that they’re extremely puncture resistant, as I drive in a lot of rocky country. They’re also quiet (for a mud tire), handle great on the road, and my last set lasted almost 80,000 miles.

Does anyone run M/Ts full time? I feel like I would be wasting them for 2/3 of the year, just scrubbing them off on the pavement. But I bet it is nice having them on some of our garbage mud roads during season. Maybe when this rig gets to be high-mileage I'll get a new daily driver, slap some mudders on my 4runner, and save it for hunting season.

Not me. I like a quiet smooth ride. Getting in the mud is for those younger than me.

Not me. I like a quiet smooth ride. Getting in the mud is for those younger than me.

:thumbsup: Most of my driving is on paved roads with some gravel roads during hunting season. I run Hankook Dynapro HT's on my Expedition. I'm on my second set. Quiet, good handling, good tread mileage and good enough to get me through what snow and mud I do encounter.

Last edited:
I've had the same experience with Hankook Dynapros. Good tires at a reasonable price.

Same here with the Dynapro's but get the 10 ply cost more but a better tire for puncture resistance. I have purchased 3 sets over 2 trucks so I am all in with these tires.

I definitely don't go looking for trouble, but it is surprising how many times a road will appear to be good gravel at the intersections, but once you start down it, it turns to garbage down the way. I like hitting new areas, looking at WIHA, so I often end up on unfamiliar roads that may or may not be gumbo 1/2 mile in. I try my hardest to not let the weather stop me from going out also.

I never worried about getting stuck in my 20s, it was just part of the adventure. I didn't even have 4wd at the time... I had to learn to be resourceful to get out of trouble. Now, in my 40's, I look at getting stuck as a "young man's game". Hence, why I bought a 4runner and am looking at fairly tough tires.

I definitely don't go looking for trouble, but it is surprising how many times a road will appear to be good gravel at the intersections, but once you start down it, it turns to garbage down the way. I like hitting new areas, looking at WIHA, so I often end up on unfamiliar roads that may or may not be gumbo 1/2 mile in. I try my hardest to not let the weather stop me from going out also.

I never worried about getting stuck in my 20s, it was just part of the adventure. I didn't even have 4wd at the time... I had to learn to be resourceful to get out of trouble. Now, in my 40's, I look at getting stuck as a "young man's game". Hence, why I bought a 4runner and am looking at fairly tough tires.

Same for me. I don’t go out “muddin”, but as a hunter, it’s a situation you often find yourself in. My mud tires have saved me many a time in situations where I otherwise would’ve buried my truck.

All terrain and mud do not go together. For mud you need a self cleaning tire with wider spread lugs. All terrain are good for wet grass, snow, and loose dirt. But hey, they do say “all terrain” on them. I have all terrains on my truck but I don’t get in the mud. I use them for the snow and wet grass.

I had a set of cooper super traction treads (STT) on a truck once. The tires lasted a good long time and they did very well in the mud and snow and fairly quiet on the hiway.

Back