A new one

KansasGsp

So this weekend I shot a rooster and stuck it in the game bag. Walked another 30 minutes or so before arriving back at the truck. Once back. I put it in the back of the truck and drove to the next section of ground. About the time we got ready to stop the truck to hunt, the rooster jumped out of the truck and took off running through the field. My buddy jumped out and finished off the bird. Been hunting a long time, but I've never seen this. That's one tought SOB!!!

That's pretty funny, but at least you got him.

When I was a kid, I was squirrel hunting and had about three in my vest. After walking for a while, one suddenly got a second wind and decided he no longer wanted a ride in my vest and went nuts. I think I slipped out that vest and moved about 10 feet away before it ever hit the ground.

So this weekend I shot a rooster and stuck it in the game bag. Walked another 30 minutes or so before arriving back at the truck. Once back. I put it in the back of the truck and drove to the next section of ground. About the time we got ready to stop the truck to hunt, the rooster jumped out of the truck and took off running through the field. My buddy jumped out and finished off the bird. Been hunting a long time, but I've never seen this. That's one tought SOB!!!

I had one jump out of my bag.

I had a similar experience a few years back while hunting with a buddy. We were out, shot some roosters. Upon arriving back at the truck we start putting our birds in the bed. My buddy pulls one out, and I say "wait a second". Buddy says "why?". I say "because that som' bitch is staring me right in the eye!". All the sudden, BAM, the rooster begins his flight. Buddy tries to grab it and yanks nearly every tail feather off. The rooster heads over a wheat stubble field with a lab and two GSP's in hot pursuit. He made it to the hedge row before the dogs caught him.

I tell ya, some of those birds are kevlar-plated or something. :D

Yup

I had 3 last week that I nailed - feathers flying, they listed to one side, but kept on flying. My buddy had one that he shot, it hit the ground like a sack of rocks, jumped up and started running. He shot again, it blew it off it's feet and it rolled a few times, got back up and kept running. He never found it.

i was hunting in iowa in the 90's with a couple of guys and watched a rooster get carried around in a game bag for an hour in a stand of CRP. we got back to the truck and he hopped out of the vest and was promptly missed twice as he made his escape. awesome will to live.

About 25 years ago ( I was in high school at the time) I shot one and put him in my vest. Got back to the truck and pulled him out and tossed him on the ground. He took off running and the dog had to catch him. It is amazing how tough they can be.

About 5 years ago our small group shot a high flying rooster trying to escape over some trees and we dropped him like a rock in a freshly planted wheat field. We decided to go back and get him after we finished our push. About 45 minutes later we come back and had a hard time locating him. My buddy spots him and in the corner of my eye I see him going to grab the bird by the neck and the next think I know I hear a shot, I turn and I see feathers coming off it and a second shot with feathers and the bird flew over 1/4 into private property over cedars and dissappeared. Unbelievable! The first fall from the sky alone would have killed most mortal men!

I can honestly say that I have never had that happen. My dad told me a story from when he was a kid and had a rooster jump up out of the bed of the truck and take off so he tought me that no matter how dead I think the bird is I always ring its neck a few times to be sure. It sure solves that problem! :D

About 10 years ago me my two brothers and dad packed the mini van up and hunted sw minn shot one late in the day thought it was dead! headed home 30-45min later dog was dead tired and sleeping then that Dang Rooster caught second wind kickin jumpin all over "Rocky" then onto me and my brother crazy how tuff those birds are !

2 years ago in SD we shot a few and swung back by the truck leaving our birds on the hood. We walked a shelter belt and some crp in a semi circle to arrive back to the trucks. As I was coming back I had a good view of the truck with the birds on it. Something didn't quite look right as we approached. One of those first birds we shot was standing in the middle of the hood looking around. When we got closer it hopped down and into a hedgerow it went. The bird didn't make it far, my lab saw it and caught it within a few feet. I generally ring their necks but I guess it was one I didn't shoot or I forgot. Lesson learned.

I shot a pheasant earlier this year, rung its neck, and put it in my vest. Hunt a few hours, went back to the truck threw the birds on the ground. Took some pictures of me, the dogs, and the birds. Loaded up the dogs and rest of my gear. Went to grab the birds, one of them jumps up and takes off running. Now I got no gun out, dogs are already loaded and I have to chase this damn bird across an open field. Needless to say the fellas that were just arriving rolled out of their truck laughing. Not my finest moment but I caught that rooster. lol...... Rung his neck better the second time.

Opening day this year I was hunting waste high grass in a CRP field. I was going up a hill when I stepped on something soft. It made a noise like a dog's sqeekie toy. I jumped off thinking it was a racoon or a skunk. Out of the grass shot a rooster. His day got even worse when I shot him at about 10 yards away. I could not believe that rooster could take my full weight (230 lb with gun and gear) and not break any bones. That would be like an elephant steping on you and then getting up and running away. They are mighty tough.

Three years ago I had shot my limit around noon, left the birds in my vest, and tossed it in the back seat of my Jeep Cherokee while I headed back to town - about a 50 mile drive. My lab Spencer was in the very back of the Cherokee, behind the back seat. About a half-hour down the highway, I heard a commotion in the back seat. I assumed it was Spence, and glanced in my rear-view mirror to see what he was up to, just in time to see a damned rooster jump up to the top of the back of the seat! I came to a quick stop on the side of the road, and assessed the situation; dog is still dead tired and sleeping, and I'm worried if I open a door, the bird will escape. I tried to reach back and grab it, but it jumped down behind with the dog, where I couldn't reach it. Spence finally woke up, but made no move on the bird - probably was so far out of his element he didn't now what to do. I finally got out, opened the back door and basically jumped on/smothered the darn bird - rung his neck (again) very vigorously, and stuck him back in the vest, laughing the whole time! And they say cats have nine lives...

Last edited:
Back