A gift for your hunting buddies

BB, I had a similar experience. Back in the early 80's I was guiding a group of waterfowl hunters, which included Fred Hardin, President of the United Transportation Union (UTU) at the time. After the hunt, he pulled me aside and handed me a Swiss Army knife, a top of the line one.........see attached pic. The group tipped me, so this was above and beyond. That kind gesture impacted me. As time marched on, I started picking up gifts for those in my hunting group sphere, mostly for farmer friends, their spouses, and many times their children ( & now grand children). I look for practical, useful items, since a good percentage don't hunt (my wife graciously & thankfully shops for the ladies). I drop off gifts every year to farmer friends, some of which I haven't hunted their land for +20 years. Relationships often turn into friendships - nothing more rewarding while we pursue our passion. I, like you, cherish that knife. I carry a SA knife every time I hunt. Usually a tinker style, as the one shown here is just too bulky. Fixed many gun jams and problems (like older shell brass expanding/stuck in the barrel) through the years with that tool!

Attachments

• Swiss Army UTU.jpg
    Swiss Army UTU.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1
My name is Max and one year, one of the guys had "Team Max" shirts with the date. I use to always take everyone a sweatshirt. We have a small university here and I would always go in the week after homecoming and buy lots of sweat shirts very cheap. Beer Nuts are made in the town I live in and I have taken lots of nuts on the trip. My long time college buddy from Texas who I often see just on this trip, I sometimes take a good bottle of Bourbon. When the grandkids of the farmer would be getting old enough to hunt, I gave them 20 gauge shotguns. When the youngest graduated from HS, he got a new 12 also. I still owe a couple guns and they are in my will.

I decided to go with an Opinel folding pocket knife. They were able to do an inscription on the back of the handle. I figured everyone can use a small pocket knife. An inexpensive gift to remind people of the huntin' trip and all the good times. Someone asked why give a gift? I guess it's selfish on my part, because it makes me feel good. I'm always happy around hunting season and in turn like to do nice things for people. It's just a little memento to pass out one evening while sitting around the campfire telling stories and having a few🍺.

Attachments

• 20221024_120254.jpg
    20221024_120254.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20221024_120331.jpg
    20221024_120331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Back