A few thoughts regarding road hunting

hunter94

seems to be some discussion regarding trading road hunting for an extra week of season extending into January?
landowners are at the point that they want to shut down all road hunting, i can't say as i blame them with what happens too often.

but it seems as though an extended season would often be worthless, as often you can't even get out of the Walmart parking lot in Mitchell, due to the snow in January. the lost revenue from NR hunters would likely be the real result....some vets and others who can't walk or don't want to walk could no longer follow there dogs down the road, hoping to point a rooster in the ditch to blast.

the ditch hunters would still have Iowa, so they would have an option, also with a cheaper license, good for the season.
change is inevitable, eventually.

I'll be the first to reply. I can't really understand what you are trying to say except road hunting will eventually be outlawed. Huh.. ??? But, I guess you can go to Iowa??
Come On..

I’ve never experienced the negative reaction to road hunting. Here in this part of Iowa it’s pretty common. As kids there was always a half hour after practice to hunt, the ditches were really the only option.

No game farms, maybe that’s why.

This thread has the potential for a blow up. :)

I'll stick my oar in the water anyway though.

I'm in favor of allowing road hunting.

Here's the regulation:

Public road rights-of-way are open for the hunting of small game and waterfowl. No person may hunt within 660 feet of schools, churches, occupied dwellings and livestock. The hunter or the small game animal being shot should not be within the 660-foot safety zone.

The public right-of-way along a section line or other highway is open for hunting if:

The right-of-way has been commonly used by the public for vehicular travel, as demonstrated by the existence of a well-worn vehicle trail.

An intentional alteration or adaptation has been made to the right-of-way to enhance the natural terrain's utility for vehicular travel or to permit vehicular travel where it was not possible before.

Fences may not be placed on a right-of-way boundary, and occasionally, there is no fence. Most section line rights-of-way are 66 feet wide. Some acquired rights-of-way are wider.

Now, in my view, since the right-of-way is available for public use of any kind...for example, use as a road....the landowner should not be taxed on that property. The landowner can't farm it, can't fence it for cattle, can't really use it for any profitable enterprise because the public use takes precedent.

The politicians will never go for that though. For politicians, there's a never ending need for OPM (Other People's Money). So, not gonna happen.

I think that would be fair and equitable to all concerned though.

Cant it be the opposite of other programs in that if a famer wants to use it they can lease it back from the public?

I have always avoided SD because of the fact that knocking on doors is out of the question there. This is the first year that I have hunted in SD because it was the best place to get my dogs on birds this year. I am not a big fan of road hunting and I did not do any when I was there but it sounds like guys have certain areas that they have found over the years that have been very productive for them. Taking away the ability to hunt these areas will just put more stress on the public land that is already hammered out there. I just pray that one state a little further north has a good nesting season this spring.

seems to be some discussion regarding trading road hunting for an extra week of season extending into January?
landowners are at the point that they want to shut down all road hunting, i can't say as i blame them with what happens too often.

but it seems as though an extended season would often be worthless, as often you can't even get out of the Walmart parking lot in Mitchell, due to the snow in January. the lost revenue from NR hunters would likely be the real result....some vets and others who can't walk or don't want to walk could no longer follow there dogs down the road, hoping to point a rooster in the ditch to blast.

the ditch hunters would still have Iowa, so they would have an option, also with a cheaper license, good for the season.
change is inevitable, eventually.

What level is this ""discussion" occurring at? Or whos discussing this, is what I mean.

Road ditches in a county form belong to tax payers, not land owners. Some township roads are about the same. Some township roads the land owner pays tax on the right of way and all you have is an easement. But state and county property belongs to all of us. No one owns USA air space. People have been walking roadsides for millions of years it seems. There will always be a few greedy few who believe they own more than they do, or who hate other hunters any where near their town. Legal access is important to maintain, and fight for. If you loose access, you will also loose many navigable water access for duck hunting, fishing etc. People who own tracts of land have a say sure, some pay taxes, some don't. Anyone who pays taxes is entitled to an opinion, and right to use of public owned lands. I grew up in Sth MN. Road ditches are a well known practice. In many miles of area that's all ya had to hunt besides some RR tracks LOL. Still is. Harms nothing. I did a ton when I was younger. Up here where I live I did not for many years. But I did a couple walks this year alone. I tell ya what, it was nice as I am getting older. But I also will always choose a spot wisely. Legal, and way away from anyone. Houses, livestock etc. Common sense goes a long way in avoiding conflict, weather your in the right or wrong. SD the only reason I would waste money down there is for that ability. Been there once in my life. We harvested half our birds walking miles of remote ditches. Not one complaint, not a single person hassled us. I look at the surroundings. If I see posted area, all dolled up for wildlife, or pay to play places etc. I don't bother. You know your headed for conflict. If you just pick remote spots with dirt fields and some cover in the ditch. Your not going to be bothered, or bother anyone else. And there is plenty of miles like that. If you want conflict, go to the guys honey hole he works hard on, surround it and bang away LOL. But don't be surprised when someone takes offence to it. As said, common sense avoids 99.9999999% of issues. As I age, and hunt my last years. Some more road ditches will be in my future. I can guarantee that.

Road ditches in a county form belong to tax payers, not land owners. Some township roads are about the same. Some township roads the land owner pays tax on the right of way and all you have is an easement. But state and county property belongs to all of us. No one owns USA air space. People have been walking roadsides for millions of years it seems. There will always be a few greedy few who believe they own more than they do, or who hate other hunters any where near their town. Legal access is important to maintain, and fight for. If you loose access, you will also loose many navigable water access for duck hunting, fishing etc. People who own tracts of land have a say sure, some pay taxes, some don't. Anyone who pays taxes is entitled to an opinion, and right to use of public owned lands. I grew up in Sth MN. Road ditches are a well known practice. In many miles of area that's all ya had to hunt besides some RR tracks LOL. Still is. Harms nothing. I did a ton when I was younger. Up here where I live I did not for many years. But I did a couple walks this year alone. I tell ya what, it was nice as I am getting older. But I also will always choose a spot wisely. Legal, and way away from anyone. Houses, livestock etc. Common sense goes a long way in avoiding conflict, weather your in the right or wrong. SD the only reason I would waste money down there is for that ability. Been there once in my life. We harvested half our birds walking miles of remote ditches. Not one complaint, not a single person hassled us. I look at the surroundings. If I see posted area, all dolled up for wildlife, or pay to play places etc. I don't bother. You know your headed for conflict. If you just pick remote spots with dirt fields and some cover in the ditch. Your not going to be bothered, or bother anyone else. And there is plenty of miles like that. If you want conflict, go to the guys honey hole he works hard on, surround it and bang away LOL. But don't be surprised when someone takes offence to it. As said, common sense avoids 99.9999999% of issues. As I age, and hunt my last years. Some more road ditches will be in my future. I can guarantee that.
I've done some Dutch hunting in montana, and it's been good.

I agree.I try to get way out in the boonies!!

FC - varies by state. In North Dakota road hunting is illegal on most roads when the land next to the ditch is posted because in ND the landowner owns the land to the center of the road, section trail or section line. Thus you cannot hunt unimproved section lines either. NDG&F is very clear in documenting this - so the ticket will stick.

Exception is typically State and Federal highways (not the Interstates though) ... are owned out past the road to the ditch-field line. So you can hunt ND state highways, but then again - much more traffic and they are typically mowed.

If I see posted area, all dolled up for wildlife, or pay to play places etc. I don't bother. You know your headed for conflict. If you just pick remote spots with dirt fields and some cover in the ditch. Your not going to be bothered, or bother anyone else. And there is plenty of miles like that. If you want conflict, go to the guys honey hole he works hard on, surround it and bang away LOL. But don't be surprised when someone takes offence to it. As said, common sense avoids 99.9999999% of issues.

True enough. I believe some of the pay-to-play areas that release a ton of roosters have hired hands circling the property to discourage (if not harass) road hunters.

Railroad right of ways and access to them would depend on if the railroad owns the land or has an easement, i would imagine most rails are owned by the company and the land would be in private ownership.

Back