A few Pheasants from around the world

Pretty awesome bird. BUT, anyone that pointed their muzzle down toward my dog on point would have been removed from the situation before the flush occurred...inexcusable safety fail.

Nah. In S. Korea, if they shoot their dogs they just eat them:D.

Last edited:
This isn't my pic but I thought you might like it Nick. Here's a young wild rooster from NE California's Modoc NWR.

Nice bird Rob. Looks like he's molting a bit too. Would you say he's a little darker than most of the wild birds you find in Ca?

Nice bird Rob. Looks like he's molting a bit too. Would you say he's a little darker than most of the wild birds you find in Ca?

From the pic I'd say so, I'd like to get one in hand to see but they only allow youth hunters so I'm trying to get my nephews up there. That rooster almost has a bianchi look to me.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my "local" Central Valley birds. These are two different birds taken off the same piece of land that produces very consistent looking birds.

From the pic I'd say so, I'd like to get one in hand to see but they only allow youth hunters so I'm trying to get my nephews up there. That rooster almost has a bianchi look to me.

The Bianchi pheasants (aka Afghan White Winged pheasants) were released in California, nearly 50 years ago. Look at the article below:

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=DS19660218.2.132

Anytime you release a new or wilder strain or sub-specie of the True Pheasant, the Japanese Green, the Sichuan (p. c. strauchi) or the Bianchi, into the wild he will not stay pure.

Since all true pheasants are the same specie (p. c. name out front) they will naturally and readily cross in the wild (not hybridize). The ringnecks were out in the wild first they will naturally cross with them. Sometimes resulting in a more wilder and alert ringneck pheasant.

But as with this wild California ringneck pheasant (in above photo), traces or remnant remains of its Bianchi ancestors from years ago sometimes show up but not all of the time.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite Threads on Ultimate. Love seeing the different birds and sub-species, keep em coming!

Here are some pics of my "local" Central Valley birds. These are two different birds taken off the same piece of land that produces very consistent looking birds.

Nice looking birds Rob:thumbsup:. I hope wild Ca birds get through the drought ok. Have you guys had any rain recently?

Nick

Nice looking birds Rob:thumbsup:. I hope wild Ca birds get through the drought ok. Have you guys had any rain recently?

Nick

Very little, we got about .10" on Monday and people were high giving each other and stuff.:D

Here is a bird taken off my place several years ago

Bronze Pheasant---they are rare around here but know of several others

SDJIM, that pheasant is referred to by game bird breeders as a Buff ringneck (they also have Red Buff and Buff Isabell). Other changes in the color phase of pen raised ringneck pheasants includes Melanistic Mutant, Pied pheasants, Auburn pheasants and many others.

All of these changes in the natural color phase in pen raised comes from years of inbreeding. And is definitely a sign of domestication. I personally would not release them into the wild.

The Melanistic Mutant pheasant has various darker color phases but those changes in the mutant pheasant color comes from years and years of pen raised inbreeding of other ringneck pheasants. These mutant pheasants were not seen in the real wild natural pheasant world 150 years ago. The Melanistic Mutant pheasant first showed up in Norfork England pen raised stock in the 1880's and by 1930 was seen in North American pen raised stock.

Look at these authentic wild ringneck pheasant (P. c. Torquatus) in central China, below. You will not find Malanistic mutants nor Buff pheasant in the wild out there. Note the yellow iris on both the wild roosters and the wild hens and the wary and alert disposition:

http://wntvapple.blog.163.com/blog/static/16586197020101097222853/

We need to get more of these authentic wild pheasants.

SDJIM, that pheasant is referred to by game bird breeders as a Buff ringneck (they also have Red Buff and Buff Isabell). Other changes in the color phase of pen raised ringneck pheasants includes Melanistic Mutant, Pied pheasants, Auburn pheasants and many others.

All of these changes in the natural color phase in pen raised comes from years of inbreeding. And is definitely a sign of domestication. I personally would not release them into the wild.

The Melanistic Mutant pheasant has various darker color phases but those changes in the mutant pheasant color comes from years and years of pen raised inbreeding of other ringneck pheasants. These mutant pheasants were not seen in the real wild natural pheasant world 150 years ago. The Melanistic Mutant pheasant first showed up in Norfork England pen raised stock in the 1880's and by 1930 was seen in North American pen raised stock.

Look at these authentic wild ringneck pheasant (P. c. Torquatus) in central China, below. You will not find Malanistic mutants nor Buff pheasant in the wild out there. Note the yellow iris on both the wild roosters and the wild hens and the wary and alert disposition:

Thanks for the info. He sure acted wild and I've never seen another one around and no one is releasing birds in that area to my knowledge. He was a one of a kind I guess----I'll keep my good old SD ring necks and be happy :D

Has anyone ever seen or shot a rooster with a hen colored body and the head and tail of a rooster? I've seen two pheasants harvested like that now, one in Nebraska and the other on the SD/ND border.

Has anyone ever seen or shot a rooster with a hen colored body and the head and tail of a rooster? I've seen two pheasants harvested like that now, one in Nebraska and the other on the SD/ND border.

I have and others I hunt with have too.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think we have another thread somewhere on the site discussing such pheasants w/pics. I remember being schooled by Preston1 on the theories as to why the birds take on such characteristics. lol

I'll try to find that thread for you.

I know Robertson talks about such in his book PHEASANT I believe James Pfarr does too in A NOBLE QUARRY---as too why this happens.

Below is a photo of "odd" wild ringneck pheasant pelts I have in my collection. The wild pheasant pelt in the center is "typical". The second one in from the left was rooster but odd in color. The rest have cock and hen characteristics. The pelt on the right has rooster markings/characteristics on half his tail, the other half has hen markings.

picture.php

Nick

Nick, I found the old thread on " hens with heads and tails like roosters" from
02-03-2010, title of thread "Shot a strange pheasant in central Kansas over wk-end"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post

Here's some more pics of hermaphrodite pheasants. Some look more like roosters, others like hens. The last pic is of a nice rooster I shot with a very red colored tail. I did the taxidermy myself. All the pics are of wild pheasants. The hermaphrodites that look like hens had a red waddle, or cackled when flushed.

The best answer for the male and female plumage is that the old hens are having hormone deficiency changes as they get older. Cock treat them just like other hens and of course they don't realize they have changing male plumage. These female pheasant never develop spurs, ear-turfs and a spectacular tail because those features are under the control of another hormone testosterone.

These pheasants are are not mutations nor hermaphrodites but are called gynandromorphs, a sign of a long living hen population, which is a good sign.

To read more on this subject go to page 18 and 19 of Peter Robertson' s book "A Natural History of the Pheasant". A great number of thing I disagree with in this book but in general good background information on pheasants.

Update (09-21-2015), this is a sign of a healthy wild population of pheasant because the hens are living longer than average. Some rooster also live a long time with long spurs. I would guess the that after staying alive for seven or eight years estrogen production slows down and normal testosterone takes over that causes the male look. But these hens are still hens and may still lay eggs and hatch broods and they are wise old (grand-momma) hens and know how to hide nest and raise broods. I know its not easy, but try not to shoot them.

I have talk to farmers in the Texas panhandle that have described similar looking pheasants with broods or they may help raise a young brood.

Last edited:
Nick, I found the old thread on " hens with heads and tails like roosters" from
02-03-2010, title of thread "Shot a strange pheasant in central Kansas over wk-end"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post

Here's some more pics of hermaphrodite pheasants. Some look more like roosters, others like hens. The last pic is of a nice rooster I shot with a very red colored tail. I did the taxidermy myself. All the pics are of wild pheasants. The hermaphrodites that look like hens had a red waddle, or cackled when flushed.
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/135_2312.jpg
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/135_2313.jpg

The best answer for the male and female plumage is that the old hens are having hormone deficiency changes as they get older. Cock treat them just like other hens and of course they don't realize they have changing male plumage. These female pheasant never develop spurs, ear-turfs and a spectacular tail because those features are under the control of another hormone testosterone.

These pheasants are are not mutations nor hermaphrodites but are called gynandromorphs, a sign of a long living hen population, which is a good sign.

To read more on this subject go to page 18 and 19 of Peter Robertson' s book "A Natural History of the Pheasant". A great number of thing I disagree with in this book but in general good background information on pheasants.

Update (09-21-2015), this is a sign of a healthy wild population of pheasant because the hens are living longer than average. Some rooster also live a long time with long spurs. I would guess the that after staying alive for seven or eight years estrogen production slows down and normal testosterone talks over that causes the male look. But these hens are still hens may still lay eggs and hatch broods the are wise old (grand-momma) hens and know how to hide nest and raise broods. I know its not easy, but try not to shoot them.

I have talk to farmers in the Texas panhandle that have described similar looking pheasants with broods or they may help raise a young brood.

Back