5 day SE iowa trophy buck hunt swap

Really so the map is wrong?

Yes sir... Looking at a nwtf map now republic county would be your Rio grande eastern line... Draw a line straight south pretty much & that's your Rio grande eastern hybrid line well actually east of that... Edwards & a touch of SW Pawnee county have eastern blood yes... Any county along that NE/KS Border is or has a chance to hybridize ...

Turkey in SW SC SE Nebraska released were hybrids of either Merriam's/broad breasted farm yard birds or Rio grande... Bunch of creeks lead north south into KS birds travel... I bet in SW Morton county KS u can find some Merriam's looking birds maybe 98% lol

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread hi jack Zach...

But I did put out 2 feelers for this mans KS turkey hunt & Going to ask & scout hunt on my KS hunt this April mite hook up with ZGlass but I did steal his thread with tick B/S

I only hunted west Kansas not the tick zone was in extreme NW MO

Small must. It is not just a small area in Missouri were ticks are on turkeys. Were I hunt near lake of the ozarks they have ticks. My son killed on south of Nevada Missouri that was covered last spring. So maybe we are just shooting the tick magnets?

Small must. It is not just a small area in Missouri were ticks are on turkeys. Were I hunt near lake of the ozarks they have ticks. My son killed on south of Nevada Missouri that was covered last spring. So maybe we are just shooting the tick magnets?

I agree u guys must be shooting some sloppy un kept turkeys lol???

I've been a dedicated turkey junkie for years nobody up here in MN believe me nobody sees it here I've never but I'm not expert...

I still feel I'm a brunt of a MO KS boy joke honestly ... But can't argue with lone star tick info... If I kill 100 birds I doubt I'll see a tick attached it seems bogus to me but that mean nothing...

MO & west KS seem to be areas with high tick 2 turkey ratio high enuff to attach to wild Turkey???

Them birds gotta be lazy to not pick ticks off there body???

Last edited:
When we kill turkeys this spring I'm gonna cut the carcass in half. Mail half of it to MN, and the other half to western Kansas I suppose. If you guys give me $5 per tick, I think that will cover shipping and my turkey tag, plus I'll make a little money! Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

You guys are funny.... wonder when he gave up on a hunt swap. At least he's getting a lesson in turkey biology. I guess.

I have been following this thread closely - very entertaining. If you look at several other somewhat recent threads this thread took has a similar path. Keep up the good work. It helps me get through work.

Hope pheasantwhisperer understood my slopy un kept turkey comment was a joke...

Hey we gotta do something between seasons what better way then to play "fact or fiction" this time it was the turkey edition...

Yes sir... Looking at a nwtf map now republic county would be your Rio grande eastern line... Draw a line straight south pretty much & that's your Rio grande eastern hybrid line well actually east of that... Edwards & a touch of SW Pawnee county have eastern blood yes... Any county along that NE/KS Border is or has a chance to hybridize ...

Turkey in SW SC SE Nebraska released were hybrids of either Merriam's/broad breasted farm yard birds or Rio grande... Bunch of creeks lead north south into KS birds travel... I bet in SW Morton county KS u can find some Merriam's looking birds maybe 98% lol

So I am right then. If SW Pawnee county has eastern blood then western Kansas does have Rio/Eastern crosses. I am not saying that all of western Kansas has Eastern/Rio crosses but there are counties that do especially where I live and to the south. I would never claim to be an expert on MN fishing, although I might know something. But I live in western Kansas and have lived in every corner of this state and killed many turkeys in the NW, SW, Central, NE, and SE Kansas. I might know something here too!

Last edited:
So I am right then. If SW Pawnee county has eastern blood then western Kansas does have Rio/Eastern crosses. I am not saying that all of western Kansas has Eastern/Rio crosses but there are counties that do especially where I live and to the south. I would never claim to be an expert on MN fishing, although I might know something. But I live in western Kansas and have lived in every corner of this state and killed many turkeys in the NW, SW, Central, NE, and SE Kansas. I might know something here too!

Yes if extreme SW Pawnee & Edwards county is west KS you are correct there is a small isolated area with eastern blood & hybrids... Looks more central south central vs west but you are correct...

No expert here on KS turkey i just can look at turkey distribution maps & release site info etc. & common sense Help's also...

You might know something also I agree but I go back to your eastern blood in Phillips county & no Merriam's in KS etc comments been to Phillips was not what I seen over the years... Seen some really Merriam's looking birds in KS just north in NE was a release site Merriam's was released there... Just going by what I seen & read...

Last edited:
I hunt Chautauqua county, and have never seen a bird that didn't look like a pure Rio. The map isn't exactly right, at least in my part of the state.

I hunt Chautauqua county, and have never seen a bird that didn't look like a pure Rio. The map isn't exactly right, at least in my part of the state.

I agree the map here is a lil different then the nwtf maps I have in 4- magazine & on nwtf web site but pretty much only difference is wear in Pawnee county eastern blood stretch...

All maps I have show Chautauqua as hybrids except extreme SW of county... can see both looking birds there or all hybrids etc. I've shot Rios in 3 states Oklahoma had all different looking birds was odd but 100% Rio grande territory shot a snow white Rio & my dad a typical creamy color seen hens & 2 gobblers looking darker all were different lol

The birds in NW KS wear I've hunted 98% look Rio few snow white none like eastern... 4+ county's same looking birds 98% Rio looking

Last edited:
I agree the map here is a lil different then the nwtf maps I have in 4- magazine & on nwtf web site but pretty much only difference is wear in Pawnee county eastern blood stretch...

All maps I have show Chautauqua as hybrids except extreme SW of county... can see both looking birds there or all hybrids etc. I've shot Rios in 3 states Oklahoma had all different looking birds was odd but 100% Rio grande territory shot a snow white Rio & my dad a typical creamy color seen hens & 2 gobblers looking darker all were different lol

The birds in NW KS wear I've hunted 98% look Rio few snow white none like eastern... 4+ county's same looking birds 98% Rio looking
Yeah, if we're looking at the same NWTF map, it shows Chautauqua county as mostly hybrids. Yet if you look down into Oklahoma, the "hybrid" line moves significantly east. I certainly don't think the turkeys notice the state line and move to where the map says they should be :D I think the line the NWTF has for northeast Oklahoma is much more accurate, even into southeast Kansas. I've hunted Missouri a lot too, and killed many an eastern there, so I know the difference between the subspecies. I'm willing to say that the turkeys in Chautauqua county are 100% Rio. My farm is in eastern Chautauqua county, and out of the dozens, maybe hundreds of turkeys we've killed out here, they have all been Rio Grande. They even have the longer legs and copper hue, if there's any eastern in there, it's negligible. I've never even seen a turkey out here that looked even a little bit eastern.

Furthermore, I've also hunted turkeys extensively in Montgomery county, the county east of Chautauqua, and have only seen Rios there. I first start seeing any turkeys that appear to be hybrids at all in Labette county, around Parsons. I can only speak for southeast Kansas though.

Last edited:
Yeah, if we're looking at the same NWTF map, it shows Chautauqua county as mostly hybrids. Yet if you look down into Oklahoma, the "hybrid" line moves significantly east. I certainly don't think the turkeys notice the state line and move to where the map says they should be :D I think the line the NWTF has for northeast Oklahoma is much more accurate, even into southeast Kansas. I've hunted Missouri a lot too, and killed many an eastern there, so I know the difference between the subspecies. I'm willing to say that the turkeys in Chautauqua county are 100% Rio. My farm is in eastern Chautauqua county, and out of the dozens, maybe hundreds of turkeys we've killed out here, they have all been Rio Grande. They even have the longer legs and copper hue, if there's any eastern in there, it's negligible. I've never even seen a turkey out here that looked even a little bit eastern.

Furthermore, I've also hunted turkeys extensively in Montgomery county, the county east of Chautauqua, and have only seen Rios there. I first start seeing any turkeys that appear to be hybrids at all in Labette county, around Parsons. I can only speak for southeast Kansas though.

I agree 100% the nwtf map is more wishfull thinking in many areas especially wear u & I can see hybrid lines drawn & then just across this imaginary line only pure breed sub species can be had lol. I hunted SD prairie unit by this map only Merriam's live there not the case those birds are way way hybrid so i agree its not 100% correct

I've seen a american bow hunter show outta rosalia KS & that is just NW of your area then birds there look all different many times these guys call em all Rios so ??? Same when u watch primos they shoot a bird & call it what ever sub species it looks most Luke???

Every sub species of wild turkey has 2-3 ireadesint color hue variations & even 2-3 phase's its not all cut & dry in many hybrid areas..

In my experience & wild turkey of north America book I read every year b4 season open say Rios do have longer legs & a copper color... They have thinner beards in my experience & have that fire orange ireadesint color over copper... Birds I hunted in west OK on TX border were Rio 100% but many variations out there

Eastern will have thicker beards lots of times & have either that dull brown back color or ginger more gold blonde look seen guys call them Rios in KS b4 ...

Never hunted SE KS. I am interested in that are a of state sound good...

Last edited:
Back