5 day SE iowa trophy buck hunt swap

Zglas10

Im looking for private access to a good pheasant/quail farm for this fall/winter. I also would like to turkey hunt the archery opener for Rio turkeys. In exchange you get you get exclusive access to a 5 day deer hunt of your choosing in zone 5 and 6. 2 Private farms totalling 280 acres, 170 of which is thick bedding/ timber cover. Arrowed my biggest buck last year on one grossing 177" with two drop tines. I have trail cam pics of 8 bucks 3 years+ that survived the winter.Let me know if youre interested.

Ive heard the hybrids are all over now but I figured someone has to own some private with pure rios in central and western ks somewhere

Turkeys don't care whether they are on private or public land. I am in western Kansas and saw a group of about 150 yesterday. Looked like 3 different species of turkeys.

Last edited:
Turkeys don't care whether they are on private or public land. I am in western Kansas and saw a group of about 150 yesterday. Looked like 3 different species of turkeys.

Merriam's Rio grande Merriam's/Rio grande hybrids??? No eastern out west...

Lots in SE/SC KS. RIO that is no turkeys left in Kansas I thought???

No Merriams here in Kansas. Eastern/Rio crosses. Turkeys are way down in the eastern half of state.

Sure is Merriam's... SW KS...

Also many that look snow white along NE/KS there's hybrids of Merriam's/Rios just north in NE I think they migrated a lil...

No easterns out west... South Central way & easter. Kansas is eastern range... Hunted KS lots for turkey...

Rios look different all over there range in my experience... Good you are seeing birds

Sure is Merriam's... SW KS...

Also many that look snow white along NE/KS there's hybrids of Merriam's/Rios just north in NE I think they migrated a lil...

No easterns out west... South Central way & easter. Kansas is eastern range... Hunted KS lots for turkey...

Rios look different all over there range in my experience... Good you are seeing birds

There used to be Merriam's in the extreme southwest corner years ago but I highly doubt there are any pure Merriam's left and most biologist will tell you the same. Eastern's go a little further west than you think. I have a picture of one I shot in extreme southwest Kansas but can't get the picture to compress so I can load it. It is pretty white but still a Rio.

Turkeys are all ugly as hell - but they taste good. Hope to shoot my first one this year, my brother has taken up hunting them and I love the table fare.

There used to be Merriam's in the extreme southwest corner years ago but I highly doubt there are any pure Merriam's left and most biologist will tell you the same. Eastern's go a little further west than you think. I have a picture of one I shot in extreme southwest Kansas but can't get the picture to compress so I can load it. It is pretty white but still a Rio.

The attached map is the subspecies distribution within Kansas that is the results from genetics studies from Turkeys across the state. There are very few 100% pure sub-species anywhere in the U.S. as in the initial scramble to re-establish turkeys to their former range the most ideal sources were not always used/available. However efforts were made to maintain the subspecies as much as possible and there are several areas of the state and country with the genetics of one sub-species prevailing. Morphology alone (color of the bird) is not enough to judge a sub-species because there is a lot of variability among them just like in us. That is to say you may have red hair but there are many shades of red, just like there can be lighter and darker tail fans withing Rio's.

We have 3 hybrid zones in Kansas. The Flint Hills was the considered the historic boundary between Rio's and Easerns where hybrids were likely to occur. Given this during translocations to reestbalish Turkeys in Kansas West of the Flint Hills Rio's were released, East of the Flint Hills Easterns were released, and in the Flint Hills both were released. This created the Flint Hills as the hybrid zone. There was one exception where a group of easterns were released in Stafford county creating a small eastern population there with a hybrid zone around it. The reasoning behind the stafford county release is unclear.

We have no full Merriam's, the far southwest is the only area where merriams genetics were detected and the area is the Merriam/Rio hybrid. This is a result of Merriams from NM and CO naturally moving into the state and hybridizing with the released Rio's. There were a lot of samples taken from the Southwest and no eastern genetics were detected. There is a potential for a Rio/Merriam Hybrid along the NE boarder but was not detected in the analysis.

Last edited:
Turkeys are all ugly as hell - but they taste good. Hope to shoot my first one this year, my brother has taken up hunting them and I love the table fare.

Spoken like a true 0 turkey kill expert...

Look at a wild turkey up close all its colors & watch it Alive its truely a beautiful creature... Better looking then any deer...

Can only hope u eat tag soup a few times & respect the turkey a lil b4 you harvest 1...

The attached map is the subspecies distribution within Kansas that is the results from genetics studies from Turkeys across the state. There are very few 100% pure sub-species anywhere in the U.S. as in the initial scramble to re-establish turkeys to their former range the most ideal sources were not always used/available. However efforts were made to maintain the subspecies as much as possible and there are several areas of the state and country with the genetics of one sub-species prevailing. Morphology alone (color of the bird) is not enough to judge a sub-species because there is a lot of variability among them just like in us. That is to say you may have red hair but there are many shades of red, just like there can be lighter and darker tail fans withing Rio's.

We have 3 hybrid zones in Kansas. The Flint Hills was the considered the historic boundary between Rio's and Easerns where hybrids were likely to occur. Given this during translocations to reestbalish Turkeys in Kansas West of the Flint Hills Rio's were released, East of the Flint Hills Easterns were released, and in the Flint Hills both were released. This created the Flint Hills as the hybrid zone. There was one exception where a group of easterns were released in Stafford county creating a small eastern population there with a hybrid zone around it. The reasoning behind the stafford county release is unclear.

We have no full Merriam's, the far southwest is the only area where merriams genetics were detected and the area is the Merriam/Rio hybrid. This is a result of Merriams from NM and CO naturally moving into the state and hybridizing with the released Rio's. There were a lot of samples taken from the Southwest and no eastern genetics were detected. There is a potential for a Rio/Merriam Hybrid along the NE boarder but was not detected in the analysis.

Thanks for the map ..

Yes I've seen & herd of hybrids along NE/KS Border from many NE biologist if I can walk into either state a turkey can also . we have shot & seen creamy Rios with long pointed spurs & snow white choppy gobbling blunted spur Merriam's looking birds I agree do blood work there MERRIAM'S/RIO hybrids but look 100% Merriam's...

Look at a wild turkey up close all its colors & watch it Alive its truely a beautiful creature... Better looking then any deer...

Can only hope u eat tag soup a few times & respect the turkey a lil b4 you harvest 1...

To each their own - I've eaten tag soup once - knocked the daylights out of one or so I thought, as my buddy and i almost had a douple on a couple large easterns, but mine got up and ran and we both emptied the guns - tough bird, guess my pattern didnt get enough pellets in the kill zone.

Unless they are strutting with all the head colors, they are ugly as hell. And see I told we had no Merriams.

Unless they are strutting with all the head colors, they are ugly as hell. And see I told we had no Merriams.

Wrong again you do have Merriam's blood why u trying to argue??? Same as argue we have eastern blood in SW.

I've hunted Oklahoma seen Eastern & Rio looking hens & gobblers in western OK... In Rio only areas...

TX Rios in hill country have very white color. South TX Rios more cream color or eastern look...

In NW & NC Kansas birds are mutts hybrids SW also just look at the distribution map & think a lil...

To just say we have no Merriam's blood is not correct dreamland stuff...

Only a few bird have irredecince color hues turkey pheasant & some ducks most have not seen this up close so a turkey looks ugly to the un experienced...

I love hunting turkeys. I love eating turkeys. And I've killed a few different breeds and hybrids. They are pretty in strut but I agree the nastiness of those things after the kill is just short of a buzzard. You lay a buzzard and a turkey side by side, not much difference. And when you go to clean one in May and there are hundreds of ticks stuck in em, and lice! Pretty damn gross. But I can see both sides.

I love hunting turkeys. I love eating turkeys. And I've killed a few different breeds and hybrids. They are pretty in strut but I agree the nastiness of those things after the kill is just short of a buzzard. You lay a buzzard and a turkey side by side, not much difference. And when you go to clean one in May and there are hundreds of ticks stuck in em, and lice! Pretty damn gross. But I can see both sides.

Shot turkeys in 9-10 states never ever seen a turkey with ticks on them probably cleaned 40 birds of my own plus 15-20 for my dad cousins friends etc over the 16-18 years of turkey hunting no ticks even seen on a turkey that gotta be rare??? Killed a double bearder in MO last year 2nd to last day of season no ticks or lice..

actually seen stuff like dandruff on gobblers most birds dust bath to get lice off... Out in Merriam's county I have seen heavy dandruff on birds???

Look at a Osceola or true Rio grande & Merriam's all have either yellow/red irredecince purple/red or green/red irredecince & almost glow unlike any pitch black buzzard...

I can see a similarly I agree not identical lol

Well I must be in a tick laden area because every bird that gets shot has ticks on them if you shoot them in late april or may. This goes for all 8 that were shot on my farm last year. One guy wanted to throw his away because of the ticks and amount of lice on them. It wasn't dandruff. Dandruff doesn't move or jump. I gotta call BS. Maybe up north the ticks arent as bad. But if you dont have tick repelent clothing or good spray on in Missouri you will have ticks on you as well.

Back