5 day SE iowa trophy buck hunt swap

Well I must be in a tick laden area because every bird that gets shot has ticks on them if you shoot them in late april or may. This goes for all 8 that were shot on my farm last year. One guy wanted to throw his away because of the ticks and amount of lice on them. It wasn't dandruff. Dandruff doesn't move or jump. I gotta call BS. Maybe up north the ticks arent as bad. But if you dont have tick repelent clothing or good spray on in Missouri you will have ticks on you as well.

I agree I call b/s

I hunted Missouri ticks from my toes to my eyes non on bird I usually skin my birds or meat em up wear legal never seen a damn wood tick on a turkey in my life??? I will ask some other hardcore turkey hunters this is a 1st ever hearing of ticks on a wild turkey I swear I'm not trying to argue with you birds eat ticks??? WTF??? Shot 7 turkeys my self last year tick free

Show me a pic I'll give u my # for April & may 2017 man I hunted in NE home of wood ticks... Lol

Last edited:
Wrong again you do have Merriam's blood why u trying to argue??? Same as argue we have eastern blood in SW.

I've hunted Oklahoma seen Eastern & Rio looking hens & gobblers in western OK... In Rio only areas...

TX Rios in hill country have very white color. South TX Rios more cream color or eastern look...

In NW & NC Kansas birds are mutts hybrids SW also just look at the distribution map & think a lil...

To just say we have no Merriam's blood is not correct dreamland stuff...

Did not say we did not have Merriam hybrids but that we have no Merriams. You statement was that we do have Merriams in southwest Kansas. We do not.

Did not say we did not have Merriam hybrids but that we have no Merriams. You statement was that we do have Merriams in southwest Kansas. We do not.

You also stated you have eastern blood out west???

We can agree to disagree...

U do have Merriam's looking blood I agree 100% they not 100% Merriam's butt 99% work for me...

My dad shot Merriam's In SE MN. Released from black hills SD now its all 99% eastern sub species there but they did hybridize no 100% Merriam's left in MN

10-15 years ago I remember watching red head outdoors or a show sponcerd by them & them shooting 4 birds in SW KS snow white choppy gobbling Merriam's acting birds not eastern or rio sub species...

Easterns in Stafford County? Now who in their right mine would release Easterns in Stafford County? :rolleyes: :)

I agree I call b/s

I hunted Missouri ticks from my toes to my eyes non on bird I usually skin my birds or meat em up wear legal never seen a damn wood tick on a turkey in my life??? I will ask some other hardcore turkey hunters this is a 1st ever hearing of ticks on a wild turkey I swear I'm not trying to argue with you birds eat ticks??? WTF??? Shot 7 turkeys my self last year tick free

Show me a pic I'll give u my # for April & may 2017 man I hunted in NE home of wood ticks... Lol

I know birds are supposed to eat ticks. We have peacocks, guineas, chickens, and about every other type of avian animal out here at the farm. But in the spring, turkeys do not groom like they do the rest of the year. To worried about breeding. They will pick them off themselves and pick them off of other birds most of the year. But not as much in springtime. The fall birds we kill, no ticks. The spring birds will have ticks. Guaranteed. And I will send pics of them. Unlike someone else on here....

I know birds are supposed to eat ticks. We have peacocks, guineas, chickens, and about every other type of avian animal out here at the farm. But in the spring, turkeys do not groom like they do the rest of the year. To worried about breeding. They will pick them off themselves and pick them off of other birds most of the year. But not as much in springtime. The fall birds we kill, no ticks. The spring birds will have ticks. Guaranteed. And I will send pics of them. Unlike someone else on here....

If u want my # pm me I definitely want to see a tick on a wild turkey no posed photos now... Lol. Talked to 3-4 guys together we killed over 100 birds none ever seen or herd of this tick issue on turkeys..

I will happily eat crow pheasantwhisperer honestly would love to be proven wrong on this you learn something new every day... Hunted areas with like 5+ species of ticks never seen 1 attached or even on a turkey star bear wood deer ticks only 1s I can remember at moment...

P.S.
What do you need pics of pheasantwhisperer??? I have a killer pheasant mount I just got back love to share the picks but I'm to simple to figure out how to post do u want to help I know 1pheas4 would appreciate it big time...

Are you killing gobblers in the fall? If so good job if hens boo... But I know hens dust bath no matter season if bugs out... Maybe hens are cleaner???

If u shoot as many gobblers in fall as spring hats off to you guys better hunters then me I admit...

We don't shoot hens. I killed 1 this fall and so did my daughter. Both with a bow. Granted I missed 3 before I got one but kept me busy in the bowstand while deer hunting. I have never taken a picture of a tick. But now that I'm being called a liar on the internet once again I guess I will have to take a picture of the spring turkeys with ticks on them. Cause they will be on them. Several. Hunters here in Missouri I'm sure will contest.

As for the pictures. Put them on ur desktop. Crop them down to below 1.91 bytes and post them. Pretty easy.

We don't shoot hens. I killed 1 this fall and so did my daughter. Both with a bow. Granted I missed 3 before I got one but kept me busy in the bowstand while deer hunting. I have never taken a picture of a tick. But now that I'm being called a liar on the internet once again I guess I will have to take a picture of the spring turkeys with ticks on them. Cause they will be on them. Several. Hunters here in Missouri I'm sure will contest.

As for the pictures. Put them on ur desktop. Crop them down to below 1.91 bytes and post them. Pretty easy.

Using cell phone..

If I wanted to call u a liar I would said that... I'd love to eat crow...

Talked to guy who hunted MO same as me never herd it maybe his cousin who live there has seen it??? Promise you its rare...

Again if u want any pics I can send em ur way got a 4 spurred pheasant couple double beards turkey...

Good man not shooting hens... Lots of guys fill there turkey tags from a deer stand not many hunt them in the fall like in spring... Convenience/opportunity turkey...

I haven't shot a turkey in a few years, but I've killed a few. Yes, ticks on all the Spring birds. I don't ever remember them being big and ballooned up like the ticks you might find on a mammal. I would guess the turkeys probably preen and pull them off before they get that way. But I definitely remember ticks attached to the skins while cleaning them. PheasantWhisperer is not crazy. :cheers:

Guess when guys are talking ticks on turkeys & ridden with tick's so bad u wanna throw it away I envisioned ticks attached & balloned full of blood same as any other creature???

I'm not saying ticks don't fall on a turkey ever... But to say they attach suck blood infect with limes etc. Never seen it on wild turkey or any damn bird ever...

I was called out on this subject guys pheasantwhisperer said he calls B/S that I never seen a tick attached to a turkey I'm 100% serious never herd of it till pheasantwhisperer never ever seen it in my life...

6 guys so far I've asked guys I hunt with 3 states 0 seen or herd of tick on turkey 2 other guys off this site 0 herd of this...

I'll ask a few taxidermist see if I'm alone & ticks attach to turkey??? Any research I've seen say not a preferred host...

Guess when guys are talking ticks on turkeys & ridden with tick's so bad u wanna throw it away I envisioned ticks attached & balloned full of blood same as any other creature???

I'm not saying ticks don't fall on a turkey ever... But to say they attach suck blood infect with limes etc. Never seen it on wild turkey or any damn bird ever...

I was called out on this subject guys pheasantwhisperer said he calls B/S that I never seen a tick attached to a turkey I'm 100% serious never herd of it till pheasantwhisperer never ever seen it in my life...

6 guys so far I've asked guys I hunt with 3 states 0 seen or herd of tick on turkey 2 other guys off this site 0 herd of this...

I'll ask a few taxidermist see if I'm alone & ticks attach to turkey??? Any research I've seen say not a preferred host...
Man you obviously didn't research shit cause it took me about 7 seconds:D

"The lone star tick differs from the American dog tick in that all three active stages will attach to humans. The immature stages of the lone star tick are sometimes referred to as "seed ticks" or "turkey ticks", "turkey mites" or even "deer ticks", and will attach to ground-feeding birds and be carried to distant locations. Lone star ticks are very common in southern Indiana, and high populations can be found in Harrison County. Adults appear in late March. Their numbers peak in May and June, declining in July. Nymphs appear in April, peak in May and June, and can be found throughout the summer. Larvae appear in the spring and again in the fall, but are not usually encountered in the middle of the summer."

Almost all the turkeys we shoot have ticks on them. Sometimes just a few, and sometimes they are loaded. It seems the ones shot later in the season have the most on them. Two years ago was the worst I ever seen, there were lot's of ticks that year and the birds were loaded with them. I don't know what kind they are, little bitty suckers.

Last edited:
I think SMO is shooting the butterball turkeys at the local grocery store.:D Kidding bud...But thank you Toad. Yeah I don't think of myself as crazy. And I have no reason to lie about a simple observation. It would be more rare for me to shoot a turkey that didn't have a tick on it. And no they are not grape ticks, but they all start out small. Welcome to hunt with me as well. Plenty of turkeys. No charge. The ticks are free too!!

Man you obviously didn't research shit cause it took me about 7 seconds:D

"The lone star tick differs from the American dog tick in that all three active stages will attach to humans. The immature stages of the lone star tick are sometimes referred to as "seed ticks" or "turkey ticks", "turkey mites" or even "deer ticks", and will attach to ground-feeding birds and be carried to distant locations. Lone star ticks are very common in southern Indiana, and high populations can be found in Harrison County. Adults appear in late March. Their numbers peak in May and June, declining in July. Nymphs appear in April, peak in May and June, and can be found throughout the summer. Larvae appear in the spring and again in the fall, but are not usually encountered in the middle of the summer."

Obviously man plus I can't spell so thanks for fact checking..

Googled ticks attaching to wild turkey did only spent 5 seconds looking I guess...

I will admit it can happen ... I think the B/S. Comment thing started when I asked was it lice dandruff or wood ticks I never seen a wood tick on turkey in 10 states birds killed in never hunted Indiana...

I better just keep hunting wear I have been hunting & now I'm looking over ever bird I shoot asap ...

Browndogscanhunt2. Have you ever found ticks on any turkeys??? Google don't count??? Sorry if I did not spell check

All the Merriam turkeys here in Kansas are immune to ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All kidding aside, I have been hunting turkeys since 1984. I would estimate I have shot 50 or so in Kansas another couple of dozen in Nebraska and a few in Missouri. I never remember seeing a tick on a turkey.

You also stated you have eastern blood out west???

We can agree to disagree...

U do have Merriam's looking blood I agree 100% they not 100% Merriam's butt 99% work for me...

My dad shot Merriam's In SE MN. Released from black hills SD now its all 99% eastern sub species there but they did hybridize no 100% Merriam's left in MN

10-15 years ago I remember watching red head outdoors or a show sponcerd by them & them shooting 4 birds in SW KS snow white choppy gobbling Merriam's acting birds not eastern or rio sub species...

The range of Eastern turkeys extends into Phillips, Rush (where I live), and Pawnee counties so we definitely have rio/eastern crosses in western Kansas. Matter of fact, there may even be a few pure eastern's provided they all have not crossed with Rio's. Here is a link to the map.

http://wildturkeyzone.com/kansas.htm

Last edited:
The range of Eastern turkeys extends into Phillips, Rush (where I live), and Pawnee counties so we definitely have rio/eastern crosses in western Kansas. Matter of fact, there may even be a few pure eastern's provided they all have not crossed with Rio's. Here is a link to the map.

http://wildturkeyzone.com/kansas.htm

Sorry man no eastern blood in Phillips Rio grande & Rio grande/Merriam's hybrid from the north no eastern's. I've hunted there as well seen many white & creamy no eastern looking birds...

I agree 100% I've never seen a tick on a wild turkey any species never got a Osceola that's it... I'm only at 40 some birds...

But pheasantwhisperer I'm looking into crow recipe's I'm waiting for a pic...

Last edited:
Just google ticks on wild turkeys. There is tons of articles from all around the country. We see them on the birds we shoot every year. Here is one link if you guys trust Kstate Vet Hospital, but from some of the comments on here I doubt some of you do.

https://www.vet.k-state.edu/vhc/docs/ticks-in-kansas.pdf

The white-tailed deer is considered a prominent host
for the lone star tick, because larvae, nymphs, and adults
will all feed successfully on this host. The wild turkey is
another host that lives in similar habitats and is an excellent
host for larval, and particularly nymphal, lone star ticks.

http://cpah.com/ticks-in-kansas
The wild turkey is another host. Adult ticks can also feed on a variety of hosts including cattle, horses, dogs, cats, and humans.

Here is another source, there are tons of them.

http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/galleries/2008/jun/13/do_you_know_your_ticks/

Here is a link with actual numbers from surveyed birds.
https://academic.oup.com/jme/articl...-Ticks-Acari-Ixodidae?redirectedFrom=fulltext

During the spring and fall turkey hunting seasons of 1999, hunters and Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks field personnel examined wild turkeys, Meleagris gallopavo L., for ticks and submitted them to us for identification. From springtime hunting, we received 113 ticks from 12 turkeys killed in nine counties, all in the eastern one-third of Kansas. Collectors reported examining three additional wild turkeys on which no ticks were found. All ticks were nymphal lone star ticks, Amblyomma americanum (L.). Of 11 wild turkeys examined in seven counties during October, one was parasitized by 30 A. americanum larvae. Data from this study and accounts from the published literature suggest that parasitism of wild turkeys by immature lone star ticks is commonplace wherever this host and ectoparasite are sympatric. Our study suggests that M. gallopavo may be an important host that supports lone star tick populations.

Last edited:
Sorry man no eastern blood in Phillips Rio grande & Rio grande/Merriam's hybrid from the north no eastern's. I've hunted there as well seen many white & creamy no eastern looking birds...

I agree 100% I've never seen a tick on a wild turkey any species never got a Osceola that's it... I'm only at 40 some birds...

But pheasantwhisperer I'm looking into crow recipe's I'm waiting for a pic...

Really so the map is wrong?

Back