4U Meat & Cheese Lovers

Rhodi

Superbowl food

Venison cooked on a cedar plank w/blue chiz.

Looks like a pile of something:confused:, but it sure does taste good:)

What time we eatting :cheers:

WOW! looks tasty how was it.
Why Cedar?

WOW! looks tasty how was it.
Why Cedar?

It was very good.

We've tried maple, alder, oak, and cedar planks on various types meats and have come to the conclusion that cedar is our favorite. I especially like it with salmon. I really like using apple wood, but have only been able to find the planks on the web.

Tasty Looking Dish

Superbowl food

Venison cooked on a cedar plank w/blue chiz.

Looks like a pile of something:confused:, but it sure does taste good:)

That looks very tasty. What type of flavor, if any, does the cedar impart to the meat?

My question is how do you cook it? Do you bake it? What kind of time does it take? I would think the meat has to be somewhat precooked?...........Bob

Presoak your plank in water, place meat on it, place on the grill and wait. We did walleye like that this last year in Canada and man it was delicious. I never thought about the Blue Chz though. Sounds and looks awesome. :coolpics:

One more question, did you use a Gas Grill or Briquettes?......Bob

I only have a Gas Grill that is why I was asking, Thank you for the help.......Bob

Britchaser,
To me the cedar seems to give the meat a subtle, smoky sweetness compared to some of the other woods.

Bob,
I use the lump hardwood charcoal instead of briquettes. Like kiotehntr said, gas or charcoal grills will work. I usually soak the plank for about 24 hrs. As a matter of fact, you can soak them in fruit juices, bourbon, etc. I did try soaking one in peach nectar for some pork loin and it was good. Also, don't let the plank catch on fire, kind of ruins the whole experience.

This is the recipe that really got us hooked on using a plank:

Grilled Cedar-Plank Salmon

1 untreaded cedar plank (soaked)
1/2 Cup Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing
1/4 Cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 Cup finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 Tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
1 Salmon fillet (2 lb). 1 inch thick, skin removed

Preheat grill to medium heat and mix dressing, parsley, and sun dried tomatoes
Rub oil on one side of plank
Place salmon on oiled side of plank
Place plank w/salmon on grill
Cook 10-15 minutes
Brush salmon with dressing and cook another 10-15 minutes.
Eat and enjoy
Courtesy of KRAFT

Sounds good Rhodi, Thank you for the help.........Bob

Back