28th Annual Trip To South Dakota

oscar

Hopefully I will be leaving in 2 weeks for the Winner area. Our Golden was diagnosed with cancer recently and if she is not feeling well I will stay home to take care of her. She seems to feel fine and I have an appointment to get a CBC for her. If all is well, I will head West.

My group has grown to 10 over the years. Two are from Texas, 2 from Louisiana and 1 from Wyoming. All of these have ties to where I live now or childhood friends. Two previous hunters are no longer living. I am planning on passing my Red Label to a younger friend this year. He stands to get it in my will, but he might as well have it now. I plan to hunt mostly with my AL48 20 gauge as it is very easy to carry and I shoot well with it. I may hunt with the Ruger one last day also. I have been hunting pheasants for over 60 years and I truly love the annual trip to SD. The birds are like nowhere else. I have been. It reminds me of Illinois back in the 50's.

I have become very close to the family I hunt with. I have traveled there for weddings and graduations. I have given each of the grandkids at least 1 shotgun and a couple have gotten 2. When I am gone, they will get the rest of my collection.

I enjoy the trip out as I love the different scenery and all of the small towns and sometimes very lonesome roads. Over the years, I have made friends at the motel and the guy who has cleaned all of our birds.

I couldn't afford this trip financially or vacation days wise till I was almost 50. I am glad I made the decision when I did. I hope some of you will make a similar decision. Good luck on your hunts.

I've been retired for years,so I hunt a lot.I never hunt in big groups.I do have 2 annual hunts I go on with family. I have a nephew who is 10 yhat will hunt this year.😀😀

What is your goldens diagnosis? If caught early she might have a more positive prognosis and enjoy one more trip. God bless.
Four goldens in our family have succumbed to cancer. I have walked in your shoes.

What is your goldens diagnosis? If caught early she might have a more positive prognosis and enjoy one more trip. God bless.
Four goldens in our family have succumbed to cancer. I have walked in your shoes.
Large Cell Lymphoma/ We had 3 previous Goldens and no problems like this. It can't be cured, but hopefully it will go into remission.

You will have some quality time with her ahead of you. Please follow the advice of a veterinary oncologist. Meds will make a difference.

Back