28ga kinda day

quail hound

I made the drive up north to see c_d and his beautiful Filmore in there hunt test and met up with Sooty for a day of chasing quail with our 28's. Filmore did a great job in her test and Sooty and I had a hell of a day hunting quail.

We moved 3 coveys and ended up with 15 quail between us (sooty 8 and me 7). The hunting was unbelievable and there were times we were worried about running out of shells or our barrels melting.:eek: We probably both should've limited but hey that's why its hunting not shooting.

IMAG0392.jpg

QH

Nice job......I like them smokepoles:coolpics:

Now that is a good day afield!!!! Great job!!!!:coolpics::10sign::thumbsup:

QH, I would have limited but the "SUN" was in my eye's...LOLOL

It was great hunting with you QH, hope we can do it again!!!

I keep telling QH "im getting low on shell's", 2 in the chamber, 5 in the vest, then QH looks at me with a grin, can I borrow one?..lol...he had only one in the chamber and zero in the vest..lol...I started out with 30 rds...you would think we were dove hunting or something....hehe

We counted somwhere between 75+ quail that we kicked up today...can you say "big smiles"

Last edited:
QH, I would have limited but the "SUN" was in my eye's...LOLOL

It was great hunting with you QH, hope we can do it again!!!

That was going to be my excuse but now I guess I'll have to go with faulty ammo.:D What a great day, meeting a new friend and hunting birds. Can't wait to do it again, to bad season is almost over.:(

Sweet!! Awesome pics

Two thumbs up for QH's hunting dog "JP", without him it would of been just hiking with guns, that dog found quail like crazy!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks, he works out pretty good and he was on his best behavior yesterday. He took to you pretty fast, usually takes him a little longer to warm up to strangers but not you. Dogs are a good judge of character.

Sounds like an absolutely grand day! Thanks for sharing.

QH, I found a hidden quail today in the hunting vest...things were not smelling to good up stairs...lol.....Looks like I got nine!!!

what a day satuarday was!!!!!!!!not just manna, but quail from heaven as well...;)

Just catching up on the forum threads after a few weeks absence - and loved this one. That photo is perfect; gorgeous dog, gorgeous shotguns, and the rewards of a great day hunting. You guys rock.

That over-under looks a lot like my Weatherby 20 - altho I suppose that's a pretty standard look for a number of o/u's. but the SxS is what really catches my eye - beautiful gun.

QH - tell me about your spaniel some time? I've heard nothing but great things about them as flushing dogs for upland birds, but have never hunted with one. The obvious drawback that seems to me is the long hair getting full of burrs. I hunt big labs who have that short hair and seem to be damn near indestructible. But the truth is that my current lab (just had his first season in the field) is a better duck blind dog than he is a flusher - he's a bit too keen and I'd say that over 30% of the birds he raised this year were beyond shooting range. So I'm thinking - maybe I need two hunting dogs, he can work the ducks, and a new member of the family to chase upland birds!

Thanks AOB. Springers are the cats meow in the uplands. The dog pictured is my 3yr old male and he is my go to dog. In our 3 seasons together we've taken mountain quail, valleys, and gambels quail down in the desert. We've also bagged chukar, blue grouse, ban tailed pigeons, doves, pheasants, and even a couple turkeys together. He's really a special dog, a hundred pounds of fury in a 45lb package. The hair isn't a big deal, they don't shed like a lab and they get a nice short hair cut in early summer and another in September.

One of the pups I sold came back because his owner couldn't keep him, so I'm working with him right now. He's a great little guy (about 33lbs) and is learning fast for only being introduced to birds 2 months ago. He is 9 months old and is graduating his basic obedience class next week. I already have 3 and even though I want to I just can't keep him. If you are at all interested maybe we could meet half way for a preserve day, you can see him and both parents work and see if you may be interested.

Back