28 guage

Goosemaster

What is the secret to hunting pheasant with a 28 guage ou? I have lost a bunch of birds,and I'm not taking any shots beyond 40 yards.I love the weight and feel, and I present as a proper nobleman.

Which load though? The Winchester 1oz load of 5's or 6's is a VERY solid load. I typically shoot a handloaded 1oz 6's which very closely re-creates the Winchester load that is a HAMMER on pheasants. With the smaller capacity in a 28ga, I prefer 5's as the max size to keep the number of pellets up. 6's are even better IME due to the number of pellets. I imagine pattern density is a problem with 4's. Especially if you're shooting less than an oz.

Last edited:
Which load though? The Winchester 1oz load of 5's or 6's is a VERY solid load. I typically shoot a handloaded 1oz 6's which very closely re-creates the Winchester load that is a HAMMER on pheasants. With the smaller capacity in a 28ga, I prefer 5's as the max size to keep the number of pellets up. I imagine pattern density is a problem with 4's. Especially if you're shooting less than an oz.
I don't know about that tech stuff.I just know I loose a lot of pheasants.

Personally, a 28 gauge is not enough gun for a rooster. You often mention "honor" in your other posts. The most honor you can do when hunting is a quick, clean kill and to retrieve the game you're hunting.

Shoot a gun you can dispatch the birds with and find them because they haven't gimped off to die in a hole. A 28 gauge may be fine for ruffed grouse. Not a rooster. I'd also love to carry around a .410 but it's not an ethical gauge to use for me.

Use this load. I think you’ll find great success. An oz of shot at 1250 is an oz of shot at 1250 regardless if it is spit out of a 20ga bore or a 28ga bore. Many 20ga loads will be sending that same oz of pellets the Winchester 28ga load does at the same speeds.

Personally, a 28 gauge is not enough gun for a rooster. You often mention "honor" in your other posts. The most honor you can do when hunting is a quick, clean kill and to retrieve the game you're hunting.

Shoot a gun you can dispatch the birds with and find them because they haven't gimped off to die in a hole. A 28 gauge may be fine for ruffed grouse. Not a rooster. I'd also love to carry around a .410 but it's not an ethical gauge to use for me.
Yeah,I was usually a 12 guage pump guy,or auto.Si a 28 is very different for me.Im using a 16 a lot now, but I like the weight of a high end beretta. I have a little Ithaca 20 sxs that was my dads,dad's, in 1970. It has way more punch than the 28.

Could it be the shooter? Maybe some practice on some high end game farm. Gucci, Gucci Goo.
Don’t overlook what it is by “Captain Obvious”. Break the spell Goose.

I am confused how does it lack power? A #5 going 1300 fps out of a 12 gauge is the same power as a #5 going 1300 fps out of a 28 gauge. The only trade off is less pellets. It probably only takes 4 pellets to kill a pheasant on average. So it comes down to you need to be a better shot. 😁😁😁 If you can't kill a pheasant at 20 yards it is crazy to blame the gun or load, just saying.

A "guide" at a kick and shoot venue helped me... He said a tighter choke and shoot at the white ring around their necks. Then he said make sure I've let go of the bird before you shoot. (Probably the reason he said a tighter choke tube?!? 🤣)
I've shot and fatally injured plenty of wild rooster's when hunting areas that normally contain more quail than pheasants with Prairie Storm #6's, but as you said, they better not be being 40 yards or your wasting expensive shells and birds.

Back