28 guage

That's what I shot when they were affordable! But my humble opinion is with a 28 or 2 3/4 20 does not have enough shot for WILD pheasant unless you only take birds that flush at your feet. Years ago, I bought a 1100 special field 20. Practiced all summer and shot it well. Took it to Iowa and made a fool of myself. Knocked a lot down didn't bring very many home. I used my ugy 28 mod and full for years for wild quail and grouse. Shot many, many cases of above shells through it. It served me well, but I can say with confidence that it was barely big enough for them. The 16 is a wonderful gun, it will clobber a Phez within it's range with the heaviest loads but will not drop them with the authority as a 12. Wild phez are a 12-gauge bird!
Birddude - hope you are doing well. I have been very successful with my 20's on wild birds in Iowa, Nebraska and SD.

Yeah, I really hate to leave UT, but may have to.I have a sweet 16, old one.
Save the 28 gauge for dove hunts.

Maybe the one exception is when you put on a sport coat and nice polo shirt in order to sneak your dog into a hotel. In that case, toting a 28 gauge up to your room fits the part a little better. And no pbr, it better be Stella artois, or better yet a high brow bottle of wine from the south of France.

Save the 28 gauge for dove hunts.

Maybe the one exception is when you put on a sport coat and nice polo shirt in order to sneak your dog into a hotel. In that case, toting a 28 gauge up to your room fits the part a little better. And no pbr, it better be Stella artois, or better yet a high brow bottle of wine from the south of France.
Haha.I actually have done it a few times, but it gets more difficult every year.They rip you off in the first place with rates,and then they charge dog rate!!

Haha Dumping mud is always held in high regard in Montana!U have been shooting lead,1 oz. 5 shot.The shells are around 20 dollars per box.The thing is, I'm so used to the 16 guage now,if I take that shot with the 28,I loose the bird.I hate loosing wounded birds,but it happens to everyone in thick cover.Im 63, and I like a lite gun these days.I may take the 870 12 with the sling on it,it's my turkey gun.
Doesn’t your 16 have a full choke?!?

Yeah, I really hate to leave UT, but may have to.I have a sweet 16, old one.
Here's how we solve two of your problems at one time. You either take some shooting lessons with your 28, or you carry your 12 gauge remington loaded with magnums. In the meantime you give your sweet 16 to golden hour.

This way we don't have to hear you complain about losing birds with the pea shooter, nor do we have to hear it from you how GH hunts with an ugly gun.

Back