28 guage

Goosemaster

What is the secret to hunting pheasant with a 28 guage ou? I have lost a bunch of birds,and I'm not taking any shots beyond 40 yards.I love the weight and feel, and I present as a proper nobleman.

Which load though? The Winchester 1oz load of 5's or 6's is a VERY solid load. I typically shoot a handloaded 1oz 6's which very closely re-creates the Winchester load that is a HAMMER on pheasants. With the smaller capacity in a 28ga, I prefer 5's as the max size to keep the number of pellets up. 6's are even better IME due to the number of pellets. I imagine pattern density is a problem with 4's. Especially if you're shooting less than an oz.

Last edited:
Which load though? The Winchester 1oz load of 5's or 6's is a VERY solid load. I typically shoot a handloaded 1oz 6's which very closely re-creates the Winchester load that is a HAMMER on pheasants. With the smaller capacity in a 28ga, I prefer 5's as the max size to keep the number of pellets up. I imagine pattern density is a problem with 4's. Especially if you're shooting less than an oz.
I don't know about that tech stuff.I just know I loose a lot of pheasants.

Personally, a 28 gauge is not enough gun for a rooster. You often mention "honor" in your other posts. The most honor you can do when hunting is a quick, clean kill and to retrieve the game you're hunting.

Shoot a gun you can dispatch the birds with and find them because they haven't gimped off to die in a hole. A 28 gauge may be fine for ruffed grouse. Not a rooster. I'd also love to carry around a .410 but it's not an ethical gauge to use for me.

Back