25 Best Bird Hunting Towns In America

I've hunted some of them and in my experience they're not as swell as they're made out to be.
Barstow, Ca. and the Mojave is a place for Gambles Quail that would rather run than fly. Shooting them on the ground is standard practice when I hunted there and that can lead to some close calls if there are others in the area. They need guzzlers to survive which concentrates the birds with a resulting pounding. Chukars are dependent on unusually wet winters and springs with moisture coming at just the right time. The cactus, and especially Cholla, are thick there. I had to carry my friends old Lab a number of times to a point close to where I shot a bird, put him down to let him retrieve it and then pick him up again after pulling spines out of his pads. You've been warned.
Lewistown Mt. is a lot of private land with Block Management land being closed last year in the early part of the season because of fire danger.
White Bird, Id. does have a lot of birds but the description doesn't do the steepness of the slopes justice. They gave me more than pause and I felt that if you slipped and fell near the top you'd roll down a rockless, treeless, brushless, grassy slope for 2,000 feet picking up speed until your arms and legs flew off from centrifugal force. Other than that, no problem.
Winnemucca, Nv., there are a lot of places to hunt in Nevada and around Winnemucca but hunter numbers have jumped to the point that now you see ATV tracks and dog crap everywhere you used to take half a day hiking to with no sign of anyone ever being there. It's all dependent on micro climates on the little mountain ranges in Nevada with one being good one year and not again for a decade.

Last edited:
Really? They picked one town in kansas and it was Abilene? Man I have been going to the wrong places all these years

And I've heard a lot of great things about Billings, MT and it wasn't on there. And I don't know how any town from Georgia made it. It's sad that Texas/Oklahoma/New Mexico didn't make the list. We have had a bad drought and quail are just evaporating.

I live in Billings, MT and I don't think it should be on that list. I grew up in Glendive and would also have to slighlty disagree with Miles City being on the list. While there is a lot of public land around Miles City, it's not the best for pheasants. If the NE corner of MT doesn't get hammered with snow during the winter and spring, it's tough to beat, although it can get hunted pretty hard.

Actually Miles City Montana is great pheasant country and habitat. Yellowstone River Valley, come on, can't beat it. Powder, Rosebud, Mezpah, on and on. Very good for sure. For Pheasants anyway, hunter access, NO WAY.
Unless You have bucks $$$$$$.

But Yeah, All that rangeland, not much for pheasants, pockets and honey holes here and there.

As somebody that has been there and done that, what towns do you not agree with or would you add?

Here is just a couple problems.

No 11 sononita AZ. Yes it's a great place to make the score a triple on Mearns, scalies, and Gambels. They had a huge fire last year and it Screwed up every thing. So the statement in the article in accurate. Quail forever and the AZGFD are working to correct this problem. I know because I'm a VP of QF. So this is a sales point for Guides and nothing more.

No 20 Lander, Wyoming. Greater Sage Grouse 54% of sage grouse Live in this part of Wyoming .

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Roll on floor Laugh out loud. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lander valley is an agro center. they grow wheat, corn and hey. Mostly Hey. No sage no grouse. There are some areas around the out side of Lander the do hold Greater Sage Grouse, but they don't hole 54% of the sage grouse. Lander is a better place to hunt Pheasants if you can get permission. :)

Great insight! The fact that Abilene, KS was on there made me question the validity of the article. Not that it's completely wrong but questionable.

I thought the list was kinda arbitrary. They are good towns only if there are birds in their vicinity in any given season.

Here is just a couple problems.

No 11 sononita AZ. Yes it's a great place to make the score a triple on Mearns, scalies, and Gambels. They had a huge fire last year and it Screwed up every thing. So the statement in the article in accurate. Quail forever and the AZGFD are working to correct this problem. I know because I'm a VP of QF. So this is a sales point for Guides and nothing more.

No 20 Lander, Wyoming. Greater Sage Grouse 54% of sage grouse Live in this part of Wyoming .

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Roll on floor Laugh out loud. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lander valley is an agro center. they grow wheat, corn and hey. Mostly Hey. No sage no grouse. There are some areas around the out side of Lander the do hold Greater Sage Grouse, but they don't hole 54% of the sage grouse. Lander is a better place to hunt Pheasants if you can get permission. :)

I'd take my chances on Sage Grouse somewhere between Baggs and Savory!

Do You know where Sweetwater Station is?

Yes I do and it was a go to place for sage grouse. I have not hunted them for a few years so I don't know if it's still a good area or not. I do know that the casper to Rawlins area has a few.;)

Back