20g s x s barrel length?

sleepwalker

I have my eye on a few 20g s x s. I've been primarily looking for 28in barrels, but have found quite a few w/ 26in. I haven't really shot a double barrel that short before. Anyone prefer 26 in? How would this work for pheasant, etc. I'm sure for preserve quail it would be great, but wondering about the longer shots. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5C22F19C-2603-4901-A8D5-F77917A7D534_1_201_a.jpeg
    5C22F19C-2603-4901-A8D5-F77917A7D534_1_201_a.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 5
I tend to shoot longer barrels better on my 5 S x S's that I own....no scientific study, just what i have found...swing more smoothly...ideally, I would have 29" barrels...most of mine are 28, one of them is 27...I could see a ruffed grouse gun being ideal with 26" barrels...but out in the wide open, hunting sharptails, huns, pheasants....I like longer barrels...now that I think of it, I do have one with 29" barrels...my AYA #2 20 gauge...Cabela's info showed it at 28, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was 29"...I must say, my shortest barrel--an Uggie grade 3 16 gauge--has 27" barrels, and I shoot that gun really well...as well as any of my S x S's...

Barrel length has been discussed here before and it all comes down to personal preference. I personally like shorter barrels. 26" on my 16 ga. Citori suits me just fine. Try shouldering several of various lengths, or better yet do some target shooting with them. Barrel length has little, if any, effect on the gun's effective range. Choke and type of shells will take care of that.

most important, I think, is getting a gun that fits you properly...the barrel length is secondary to that...I have found that a gun that is too light becomes a bit whippy for me, and I don't shoot as well with whippy guns...a few extra inches of barrel can smooth the swing out...at least for me.

I personally like longer barrels. You've been looking for 28, I wouldn't settle for 26.
Just be patient the right one will come along.

look at the length that a lot of fine s x s's come with ...Merkel, Arrieta, AYA, Grulla, CSMC RBL, BSS...see what tends to sell fastest, what tends to command more $...doesn't mean everyone shoots a longer barrel better...but you will see some trends...

Since I found it in 1970, my AYA Matador II has had 26inch barrels. Faster for me and improved cylinder and modified. For longer shots (ducks from a blind) I use a 12 with 28 inch full and modified.

Be safe, have fun.

I have tried 26in barrels 3 time with different guns and I just can shoot them. Take that same gun with 28in barrels and it fine . Its hard for me to be leave that 2in would make a different but for me it dose .

As some have mentioned it is a personal preference. I have shot everything from 32" down to 21", in various actions and o/u & sxs. The thing that you might encounter is the weight of the gun changing you swing speed. Again will 2" of barrell effect the weight that much maybe not, but I would find a sxs that is close to your current pheasant gun and match the weight. Not sure the vintage of sxs you are seeking, but many older sxs`s in the 28" range can be ic and full. If tubed then no worries. Good luck on your search.

Not a side x side but I have a Beretta BL-3 20ga that has 26” barrels that fits and points really well. Follow through on swing is surprisingly smooth. Try before you buy but if you’re convinced you want a 28”, then you might regret anything shorter.

I find that my style of shooting is not hindered by shorter barrels and I prefer them for hunting. That said, I do shoot a longer barrel for dedicated clays.

One thing to consider if buying a older or classic SxS is that a lot of times, longer barrels means tighter chokes, i.e., modified and full. Shorter barrels lean more towards improved cyl and modified. For most bird hunting I prefer the more open chokes.

The OP mentioned that he was looking for a gun with 28" barrels. As you stated most doubles with 28" barrels have modified/full chokes.

My 16 gauge was like that until I opened the chokes.

I personally find it difficult to shoot well with a double with 26" barrels.

I find it very easy to ream a choke to achieve the pattern performance that I want.

Pat Laib, in Spicer, Mn, charges $60 per barrel to open chokes...he is a very respected gunsmith, and has done lots of good work for me....

Actually the OP asked if anyone preferred 26 inch barrels. I do but if you don’t want the extra expense of opening the chokes it may be the only options. But all good. Depends on balance of the shotgun.
$60 per barrel does seem reasonable for quality work.

Hi. I ended up being a sxs 20g with 26in barrels. They do have chokes so it affords me some patterning options. Shot it the first day and couldn't hit the side of a barn. Seems that my OU and Semis of the same brand you need to float the target over the bead. With this sxs you seem to need to cover the target. I'll catch up to this gun at some point.

Hi. I ended up being a sxs 20g with 26in barrels. They do have chokes so it affords me some patterning options. Shot it the first day and couldn't hit the side of a barn. Seems that my OU and Semis of the same brand you need to float the target over the bead. With this sxs you seem to need to cover the target. I'll catch up to this gun at some point.
Congrats, it does take a while to get used to that new sight plane of horizontal barrels with the rib in the middle.....practice practice practice.

Here are a couple of resources for you. The first is about gun fit. I help coach a high school trap team. I do much of the gun fitting. Much of that involves raising the combs to get the shooter's dominant eye centered above the rib.

See the information and images in the link below.

https://www.theyorkshiregent.com/shooting/gun-fitting-guide-fit-shotgun/

The other is from Phil Bourjaily, Shotgun Editor for Field and Stream, on shooting a SxS.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2011/09/shooting-side-side-shotgun/

Realize that Phil's gun is probably stocked straighter than yours.

By your description, it sounds like your comb is too low.

Back