2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

What do you all use for a setup to record your hunts?
I think most of us are using GoPros. I'm convinced it's worth getting the latest edition. Head mounts are most popular & give by far the best results (my opinion). I use a mounting thing screwed through the bill of my cap, or the head strap mount when it's colder & I'm wearing a stocking cap. With the new Enduro batteries (Hero 10 & 11 only, I think), I usually don't go through 2 in a hunt. But I have 3, which would get me over 3 hours of video at 4k & 60 fps. I use Shotcut free editing software. Oh, and a 4TB external hard drive. There's definitely a learning curve, but if I can pick it up, anyone can. It's a few hundred bucks, but I really enjoy having videos to watch. And having entered the world of YouTube, I've "met" more great folks who eat, sleep, & breathe pheasant hunting. Get yourself set up & start cranking them out!

Here is a solo hunt from October 30, 2022.
Nice! Looks like it was a gorgeous day on some gorgeous ground. Complete with real world camera struggles! 😉 Fantastic recovery! I love when the pheasant phinders clean up our mess & put a rooster in the vest that could've just as easily (if not more) been lost. Thanks for sharing!

Here is a solo hunt from October 30, 2022.

Well done. Great find by the pups. I am a big Step Brothers fan, so I appreciated that. I wonder if a pellet hit him in the spine or something and stunned him. Regardless, he didn't stand a chance once he hit the ground. Thanks for sharing.

Well done. Great find by the pups. I am a big Step Brothers fan, so I appreciated that. I wonder if a pellet hit him in the spine or something and stunned him. Regardless, he didn't stand a chance once he hit the ground. Thanks for sharing.
I have not shot a runner on the ground. I did pull up but my better senses kicked in and said to myself "that is why you have dogs Mike". It simply is too risky to put a finishing shot on a bird running to safety. It is especially risky running two dogs.

I would ask this question while teaching Hunter’s Safety. How many birds is your dog worth? Excitement over a kill can override good judgement. Be safe. I enjoy your efforts in the making of the videos.

I obviously don't disagree with dog safety. But everyone's line is different. I feel I have a good grasp on that line & will take a clean up shot on the ground if it's potentially necessary because of conditions to recover a rooster & I'm confident I can make the shot. It probably only occurs once or twice a season. My dogs have never been shot & they're was no luck involved. Still, it sounds like some of you will think I'm a reckless idiot when you see one of my upcoming videos. Oh well. I'll include it anyway.

Just curious what camera did you use?

And Joel, yeah those goldens will get greedy on retrieves😅
I use a Go Pro Hero 9. I edit in iMovie which is a Mac application.
As for the gushing on those golden's, I have video evidence coming out shortly on one of Joel's amazing dogs "gettin' greedy". I think I will have it posted before my week vacation starts tomorrow.

Here's one that goes back to November. Hunted a little on public land, didn't see much, & decided to hit a couple ditches.

Interesting video, Brent. For me, a real challenge when ditch hunting is keeping the dog from wandering into public land. Ace seems to know the boundaries!

Observation on the first part of the video: rooster that fails to fly sometimes isn't a bird but a critter - I usually call the dog off vs an encounter with a skunk et al. Amazing the stamina - running rooster!

Interesting video, Brent. For me, a real challenge when ditch hunting is keeping the dog from wandering into public land. Ace seems to know the boundaries!
Yeah, Ace does pretty well. Obviously, if he smells something that leads him across the fence, that's where he'll go. But he usually doesn't stay long & gets back in the ditch fairly quickly. Although he doesn't always act like it, he knows it does him no good to stray too far from me.

Here's one that goes back to November. Hunted a little on public land, didn't see much, & decided to hit a couple ditches.

Thanks for sharing. I feel like I am getting a better feel for when Ace is getting birdie. Each dog definitely has their nuances. I really enjoyed this one.

Yeah, Ace does pretty well. Obviously, if he smells something that leads him across the fence, that's where he'll go. But he usually doesn't stay long & gets back in the ditch fairly quickly. Although he doesn't always act like it, he knows it does him no good to stray too far from me.
Brent, it cracks me up to watch Ace to the bouncy thing where he jumps up and down on his hind legs! I’ve never hunted over a Springer, just Brittany for spaniels. I enjoy your videos.

Brent, it cracks me up to watch Ace to the bouncy thing where he jumps up and down on his hind legs! I’ve never hunted over a Springer, just Brittany for spaniels. I enjoy your videos.
Thanks, LC. Yeah, he's got a couple screws loose for sure. He typically only does that when he thinks there's a pheasant VERY nearby (either alive or dead). That's what was so surprising about that first chase. Right from the get-go, he thought he was right ON that bird. Then 200 yds later, it flushed & never let Ace within 30-40 yds of it. Of course I was ANOTHER 30 yds further back. 😖 Neither of my other springers ever did it, that I recall.

Back