2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

I don't have those days as often as I once did, which I think makes them more frustrating when they DO occur. So painful. A few years back, I had 2 identical layups in about 20 seconds from the same clump of matted over grass. Blew 4 holes in the sky & didn't draw a feather. I honestly almost threw my gun in a snow bank & left it there.:ROFLMAO:
I had a streak where a barn flushed near me and I missed.....infact that was fall of 2021! Came back out with my son in December and hit 11 roosters in a row.

Once again some awesome recoveries! You have more snow than we do. Our birds have also moved to the deepest cover available, no big slews of cattails here, blocks of switch grass are their best option and those are few and far between. I just am not sure where most of the birds have gone. Maybe shelter belts around farms and acreages. A good note is that we have temps today above freezing with full sun, so we might start loosing this latest snow/ice cover. Tomorrow is the final day in Iowa for this season.

Great video Lucas, I appreciate seeing what the cattails looks like after a storm like SD has received this year. Tough conditions for all critters and hunters. Those were some very good finds by Sage and good find on your part for the last bird. Thanks for sharing!

Few things are as cool to watch as a dog diving into snow and cattails to recover a bird.
So true, I showed your video to my wife and she couldn't believe what you and sage were hunting in!

Haha. We go where the birds go!
My wife would probably say "that sound so much like you". I sure enjoy watching the connection you and Sage have. It is so impressive that Sage will remain close to you with all those birds flushing out ahead of you without having the control of an e-collar. It is fun to watch.

My wife would probably say "that sound so much like you". I sure enjoy watching the connection you and Sage have. It is so impressive that Sage will remain close to you with all those birds flushing out ahead of you without having the control of an e-collar. It is fun to watch.
That is why I insist dogs be steady to wing. For me nothing worse then a dog charging after a bird and flushing more.

Steady to wing is also 1 of the cheapest things to train. You reuse the pigeons or quail or even wild birds.

I noticed more ice on the cattails in parts of the video ? Different areas or different hunts?

Same place, was out there for an hour and a half or so. Some of the habitat is more exposed to the elements and am guessing the wind may have broken the ice off. Can't say for certain.

I also liked the "Walk of Shame". Having to go back to get your dog! ;). This past summer I was so jacked up to get on the water to catch some walleyes I pulled out of the campsite and got to the bait shop which was about 1/4 mile away. I looked at my father-in-law and said "Where is Ellie?" We went back to the campsite and she was sitting right where the boat was parked with a WTH look.

I also liked the "Walk of Shame". Having to go back to get your dog! ;). This past summer I was so jacked up to get on the water to catch some walleyes I pulled out of the campsite and got to the bait shop which was about 1/4 mile away. I looked at my father-in-law and said "Where is Ellie?" We went back to the campsite and she was sitting right where the boat was parked with a WTH look.
Yeah I had a good laugh at that as well. I went grouse hunting with a buddy we get out at the place to hunt put his dog on the ground and I hear "oh shit", he forgot his shotgun, his loss was my benefit.......I can understand you leaving Sage if you had just seen that many birds take off......

I also liked the "Walk of Shame". Having to go back to get your dog! ;).
I think it was completely staged for theatrical effect. Gun, socks, e-collar. Those are understandable. But nobody forgets his dog when he's going pheasant hunting.🥴
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It was awfully funny.

I think it was completely staged for theatrical effect. Gun, socks, e-collar. Those are understandable. But nobody forgets his dog when he's going pheasant hunting.🥴
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It was awfully funny.
Yeah, because that couldn't be done early season, before I'm dressed in bibs and wading through snow. lol

I've forgotten my gun and one other time, I left church to go hunting and got halfway to my folks and had to turn around and get Sage. It's why I have a wife. If only she'd make herself available to prepare my hunting stuff.

Made me smile because it’s’ so damn relatable! I can attest that forgetfulness does not improve with age! Glad you didn't Edit out GH!!
Very appreciative of the videos you and A5 (& others) you post here.

You're most welcome. It's a lot of fun to have that footage to watch over and over, as well as interacting with other pheasant hunters who have the same passion. It's interesting, A5 and I were talking about the drop in views on our videos and I suppose that a lot of people lose interest as the seasons wind down and close. Personally, my fascination with all things pheasants seems to grow with each passing day!

Back