2021 Pheasant Season Pictures

Looks like a great day! How do you like your Beretta A400 Xplor? I have been eyeing this model for over a year now. I love the looks and look forward one day to not have to lug around a 25+ year old Remington 870.
I was on a double gun kick and a guy sold me that gun when I wasn’t looking for it, I’ve been carrying it ever since then, my doubles don’t see much action, for me it lives up to all the hype.

Here is a great photo of my limit and my dog today on northern Montana!

Oops! I lied ! 6 miles walked and no birds found!!!

F716A5B6-5301-4024-8D84-6EA84939156A.jpeg2578DF7C-2974-4179-99A9-A1969DDC5FAD.jpeg8EC55DD6-5D2F-4D47-A569-813B46B13A0A.jpegOne of my favorite things is taking family out to hunt. My 11 year old nephew shot his first partridge earlier this year. Today he shot his first rooster ever ....and his second....and his third. This means he limited for the 1st time ever as well. He is hooked for life!

A lot of great hunts far in 2021 but this was probably the most fun and relaxing. Just me and two dogs! No cattails for us today. Tried a public area that has a lot of grass and clover and it did not disappoint.

Attachments

• AFD66FB7-F16B-4435-85B9-AE889D7806E9.jpeg
    AFD66FB7-F16B-4435-85B9-AE889D7806E9.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Hey all, some great pictures and stories, keep them coming! Went out today solo, perfect hunting day, cool, light winds and overcast. Couldn't ask for anything more.....except birds! Just one of those days. Only got up a couple hens and one bunch of Huns. Oh well! Addie did very well, all birds were pointed by her, she's doing great!

Got one Hun and used my 12b Samuel Allport.

aS7LohN.jpg

Best,

Greg

Hey all, left work a bit early today so only had about a hour to hunt. Saw a lot of birds, almost all hens. Did have a couple rooster that flushed wild. Raina was able to pin one done however. So, one in the bag.

I used my 12b Cogswell & Harrison Konor today

nJD8ZAW.jpg

And Raina of course!

3bQp6gb.jpg

We'll see what the weekend brings!

Best,

Greg

Hey all, left work a bit early today so only had about a hour to hunt. Saw a lot of birds, almost all hens. Did have a couple rooster that flushed wild. Raina was able to pin one done however. So, one in the bag.

I used my 12b Cogswell & Harrison Konor today

nJD8ZAW.jpg

And Raina of course!

3bQp6gb.jpg

We'll see what the weekend brings!

Best,

Greg
Nice looking dog Greg. Can’t wait to see the weekend report!

First retrieve of a wild bird for the pup. The 135 year old Thomas Perkes 12b did well, also.

Attachments

• C69996D0-950F-4145-84A7-8F59C9A2D754.jpeg
    C69996D0-950F-4145-84A7-8F59C9A2D754.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 20
Hey all, went up to hunt an area I haven't hunted in awhile. Was disappointed. All the good cover and hot spots either had cows in them, grazed over or tramped. Did manage to get a couple in a couple areas that were unspoiled. The drought we had really took a toll on some good cover.

I used my 16b John Wilkes today

OrnGzY1.jpg

Today was Addies turn, she sure did well!

sjr1MIU.jpg

Best,

Greg

Last edited:
Hey all, went out after Church and before Sunday supper for a short hunt. Not much time so went to an area close to the home place here. Got up some hens and one rooster

Used my 12ga SIACE

Pf57RMg.jpg

Raina's turn today

qboHVwL.jpg

Take care all!

Greg

Hey all, went out after Church and before Sunday supper for a short hunt. Not much time so went to an area close to the home place here. Got up some hens and one rooster

Used my 12ga SIACE

Pf57RMg.jpg

Raina's turn today

qboHVwL.jpg

Take care all!

Greg
Thanks for the fabulous pictures of Dogs, birds and guns…3 of my favorite things!

I am currently enjoying some peace and quiet on my lunch. This means I closed my door for the next seven minutes to eat. Life a middle school principal. I ate my lunch the first two minutes while I had the chance and revisiting a couple of pictures from the weekend. It is easily the best pheasant season since I reintroduced myself to pheasant hunting five falls ago. It was then that I am certain I was blessed with the "greatest Vizsla in the world" much like I feel with about my wife and two daughters. For all of them I am thankful. Then we pick up Vizsla #2 a year and a half ago, and again wonder how luck can strike again. She has quickly exceeded all expectations and could not have had a better mentor in Ellie. Long story short is that the weekend was REALLY fun. My best friend and main hunting partner came back after retiring to Oregon to his wife's family ranch. He brought his brother-in-law and combined with some of my family rolled up 21 roosters in two days. No pictures to share since my wife took them and they are on her phone right now but it was two days of solid dog work and only one lost bird in a cattail slough with tons of bird scent. It has been the best year in five for sure when speaking to pheasant numbers and birds shot. It should continue to get better as the nights get colder and will for sure be even better and more predictable if we get some snow that stays.

As we head into the week for intentional showing gratitude, I am thankful for great family and friends, two great dogs, my health and the ability to be able to chase roosters on my down time. I am thankful there are still landowners who see hunting as an important part of our culture and don't post their land. I am thankful for those that post but allow us to access. Most of the dirt I hunt fits into those two categories but I hope the NDGF continues to expand on public hunting areas which I have also had success on.

Anyway, from my family to all of yours, I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving that finds you working of the Thursday Turkey & fixings the days after chasing and trying to outsmart those Rudy's! Happy Thanksgiving All!

P.S. My seven minutes are up and it is time to give some more face time to students and staff.

Weekend after Nebraska opener. Hard hunting for 4 birds in 1 1/2 days; hot, dry and that made the birds scatter. Need a bit of snow to bunch them up. Nevertheless, always a great time and hoping to do it again here soon.
Happy Thanksgiving and Be Safe.

IMG_1434.JPG

Hit a WPA after works for a short hunt. This one made a mistake. Saw one more who didn’t make a mistake. Still enjoyed the time out!

Attachments

• EEA2C86A-617C-4F66-8FCF-9FFBD49C4F81.jpeg
    EEA2C86A-617C-4F66-8FCF-9FFBD49C4F81.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Back