2021 Pheasant Season Pictures

gjw

Hey all, well another season is here! So, let's see some pictures of your hunt, birds taken and the dogs of course.

Best of luck to you all and above all else a safe season.

Best,

Greg

Hey all, yesterday was our Pheasant opener, but we got about 2" of rain. It rained all day and most of the night. Went out late this afternoon, it was windy, saw birds, but they were a bit spooky. Addie would pin them, but they wouldn't hold. Did manage one, better than nothing. My son Jim and I will see what tomorrow brings.

Addie and the "catch of the day"

5RR5v77.jpg

Best,

Greg

Heading to SoDak in 12 days 13 hours 22 minutes and......well you get the idea. My lab pup turns 1 this Friday and I have a day at a hunting preserve scheduled. I have also spent the last year rasing various quail and pheasants to train with and took a buddy out last week for a quick hunt. I was over the moon with how well it went with his first ringneck experience!IMG_20211009_174348039.jpg

Hey all, Number 2 son (Jim) and I went out today for some Ringneck hunting. It wasn't the best. We saw birds and like yesterday, they were spooky. Even Addie had a hard time pinning them down. She'd go on a real hard point and up the bird went! Or they just got wild. We did manage to get one each (the ones that held). It was a good day to be out with my boy, that you can't match.

Jim, Addie and the birds. Jim used his Victor Sarasqueta 3EC 12ga

Vhl24dU.jpg

I used my 12b James Purdey

OEdgsjs.jpg

Best,

Greg

We are 150 miles apart or better and my opener was almost identical to yours. I tried to hunt Saturday before the rain reached us in the north. When I finally got to my intended spot it was raining just enough to keep my wife in the truck. My dogs were raring to go so I thought I would tough it out in a slough or two thinking the pheasants would be tucked away in the cattails trying to stay dry. I had visions of them needed some Kenetrek Size 12 encouragement. Boy was I wrong. They got up often and early. The first rooster was fortunate that my "rooster fever" got the best of me and I whiffed with two shots. After seeing many birds flush early, about 10 minutes later an unfortunate rooster was down and Ellie made a nice retrieve. After about 40 minutes of being in the rain, I called it quits. Sunday my wife and I went out to one of our favorite spots, we again ran into flighty birds. A couple of roosters got up near her. She got some good practice in but none fell. In her defense, none were chip shots by any means. We saw plenty of roosters and will likely have more cracks at them later this season. Tonight I got home late and took the dogs out for some exercise. Decided to grab the shotgun and walked one small slough I had been seeing birds hanging out. Ellie and Willow locked in on one unfortunate rooster. It was a classic hold and flush off of a Viszla point and I increased my 2021 shooting percentage with my shot. It was a great way to end the evening.

I decided to go out after work today. My first destination was newly posted catching me off guard. I pushed on a little further than intended but it was worth it. Dogs worked great pinning down many birds tonight. Love seeing them work.
Pheasant Hunt 10-12-21.jpg

Hey all, went out solo today, was able to get my first (and hope not last) limit of Roosters. A bit cold and windy, but worth it!

Addie did very well again, she's a joy to hunt with.

Short video of Addie in the weeds (camera operator was a bit off!)

3QjJHj4.mp4

Used my 12b Joseph Harkom today

uC5WYgN.jpg

Best,

Greg

We are 150 miles apart or better and my opener was almost identical to yours. I tried to hunt Saturday before the rain reached us in the north. When I finally got to my intended spot it was raining just enough to keep my wife in the truck. My dogs were raring to go so I thought I would tough it out in a slough or two thinking the pheasants would be tucked away in the cattails trying to stay dry. I had visions of them needed some Kenetrek Size 12 encouragement. Boy was I wrong. They got up often and early. The first rooster was fortunate that my "rooster fever" got the best of me and I whiffed with two shots. After seeing many birds flush early, about 10 minutes later an unfortunate rooster was down and Ellie made a nice retrieve. After about 40 minutes of being in the rain, I called it quits. Sunday my wife and I went out to one of our favorite spots, we again ran into flighty birds. A couple of roosters got up near her. She got some good practice in but none fell. In her defense, none were chip shots by any means. We saw plenty of roosters and will likely have more cracks at them later this season. Tonight I got home late and took the dogs out for some exercise. Decided to grab the shotgun and walked one small slough I had been seeing birds hanging out. Ellie and Willow locked in on one unfortunate rooster. It was a classic hold and flush off of a Viszla point and I increased my 2021 shooting percentage with my shot. It was a great way to end the evening.
I’ll be coming out to ND next weekend, bringing my vizsla Roxie. It will be her first experience with pheasant. Do you hunt a Vizsla?

Hey all, well Raina healed up from her war wound from last month, so her and I went for a little bit. Managed to get a couple. She did well, happy with her!!

Raina

nedFbOn.jpg

Used my Ugartecha 16ga 1030 today

gJDw8rN.jpg

Best

Greg

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for a bit this afternoon. It was Jim's day today! I couldn't buy a shot for love or money. Glad he did well. Raina did good as always, but she's starting to slow down a bit (like me!) but for a dog close to 9 years old, she still has it in her!

Jim and Raina

5iUg8cL.jpg

Best,

Greg

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for a bit this afternoon. It was Jim's day today! I couldn't buy a shot for love or money. Glad he did well. Raina did good as always, but she's starting to slow down a bit (like me!) but for a dog close to 9 years old, she still has it in her!

Jim and Raina

5iUg8cL.jpg

Best,

Greg
That is awesome. Nice mature birds too!

I’m in North Central so I have a drive usually, spent the opener in Mt which was tough going, with any luck I’ll sneak in some late season SD stuff.
We’ll be in and around Kenmare. I haven’t been to ND since 2004. Hunted around Long Lake back then. Brother in law has a pseudo second home in Kenmare now. Looking forward to working the dog. The rest is just a bonus.

Attachments

• F582BFA1-2150-4D56-B05E-BD5CBC5A0771.jpeg
    F582BFA1-2150-4D56-B05E-BD5CBC5A0771.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: PTM
The 5 my group got Saturday night. All on the same chunk of public in a 2 hour walk. We were having a rough go of it until we got into these ones.

Attachments

• 20211019_205907.jpg
    20211019_205907.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 32
Back