2021 Pheasant Season Pictures

I am retired and wintering in NW Montana where roosters are "trophy birds", no gang flushes.
I hunt every weekend morning and have a self imposed limit of 1 rooster.
Season ends Jan 1.

I hunt solo and in silence, so typically the roosters don't know I'm blocking as my lab pushes them.
This was for me rare...a double.
IMG_0011.JPG

Whatca got there Smithy?
The shotgun is a Thomas W. Perkes 12b built in London 1874-1885. The barrels were sleeved in 1962. The rest of the gun is all original. It is really difficult to find others built by him in his name. He did a lot of outwork and had a lot of patents.

The shotgun is a Thomas W. Perkes 12b built in London 1874-1885. The barrels were sleeved in 1962. The rest of the gun is all original. It is really difficult to find others built by him in his name. He did a lot of outwork and had a lot of patents.

Interesting, but howa bout the black rooster? Must not be a wild bird.

Got my 3 wild Iowa birds this morning. Not my best shooting effort of the season by a "long-shot". It started with my buddy winging one and his dog found it, he had his hand on it for an instant, and it got away from him, we thought the dog had him again when we came back to that spot after hunting a couple of the waterways, but we didn't recover him. It was cold, fingers were cold, my first opportunity I shot quick, wasn't even sure the saftey had clicked off, shot low, the bird fell and was flopping around in the heavy cover, I was just going to try to grab it when it jumps up and flys away, took one more long shot at it as it left. Must have maybe had shot a foot on it or something, it dropped and then decided he wanted nothing to do with me and decided he could still fly...if was quite strange for sure. So my first one took 3 shots, dropped in a corn field, alive of course, Rowdy ran him down in short order. #2 was a nice crossing shot, dropped dead and #3 I shot at him 3 times I think, the feathers were fly off him with every shot, lost most of the tail feathers on the first shot. We were behind a dam, as he flew away I was calling out to "hit the dike!", he JUST cleared it. It was going back toward the trucks, so I was going to take the dog through the cover that was directly in the line he was on. Rowdy locks up just over the dam on the water side now, as I walk up on him, I can see what was left of his tailfreather, sticking-up in the grass. Dead as a hammer. A hard earned limit. I was shooting low all morning. One bird had one thigh bone broken, one had both broken, the other one they weren't broken, but both shot to heck, found 3 #5s in one of the thigh fillets on that bird.
20211218_094604.jpg

0BBB2949-F6A0-48C3-979D-349026B96566.jpeg

Started with minus 8 temp at 10:30. We had six birds and finished by noon. The cold weather and the fresh snow were the perfect conditions for the tightest holding roosters I have experienced. Great dog work especially tracking two cripples down. One was in the cattails that Ellie pinned down 15 minutes later. The other glided 300 yards towards the tree rows. We finished the cattails with three birds. Went over to the tree rows shot one more and kept walking. Ellie pinned the wounded rooster who then doubled back and led Ellie and Willow on a chase up and over trees, under windfalls before they pinned it. Rudy lodged itself under a fallen tree trunk. The dogs couldn’t get it so I crawled under and reached my arm and hand in as far as I could. I managed to grab the root of the tail. It took a little work but I wiggled it out. Rooster have a will to survive like no other. We finished the tree row which had cattails 30 yards wide at the end. I shot Rudy #6 there. It was an epic hunt!

Last edited:
Minus 8 and no gloves...men are in North Dakota!! Sounds like it was a good hunt to finish fast in those temps. Well done!

Yesterday no birds in central Montana. The land had been pounded, all roosters are enjoying their PHD’s. ( public)
Got on some private and we got our birds! :)

Took the new pup out this afternoon for one of the last few outings we have left. Saw a bunch of birds, none sitting tight. Missed one (twice), next 2 shots were better. The dog didn't flush or recovery them, but I had him "find" them in the deep switch grass, after I had located them but not touched them. Two nice older birds. I had been try to hunt him in some smaller places with less/shorter cover, but those I usually find birds had none lately when taking Gus out to them. Next weekend is the end of the season for me here in Iowa. Hope to finish better than I started!
20220102_151522.jpg20220102_152012 (1).jpg

Just turning 7 months. He is behind the curve right now, getting a late start. Was out of commission, mid October til mid November, right when I should have been prepping him for this season. Will try to get a bunch of bird contacts before nesting season approaches.

This came up on my fb page as a memory from a year ago. There was so much frost on the cattails and moisture in the air that my 870 froze solid. Wouldn't fire wouldn't pump. Was only 10° received_697649147890440.jpeg my buddy who has hunted 30 years with me,my son,and my nephew. They all got a bird. They each got the only bird they shot at. My buddy was elated because he stayed high and dry and actually hit a bird. We call him cockwobbler as he often misses.

Great hunting in Western Kansas before, during and after the storm(friend#3 taking the photo).

Attachments

• 7DA9E104-7B32-4E6E-8FC6-B5E3F1A5BB7E.jpeg
    7DA9E104-7B32-4E6E-8FC6-B5E3F1A5BB7E.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
I posted some of my photos in the 2021 MN Thread but here they are. All wild birds taken within an hour of my house on private land. Most of the time its just me and Cosmo.

Attachments

• 11-19-21 roosters.jpg
    11-19-21 roosters.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 11-26-21 roosters.jpg
    11-26-21 roosters.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 12-11-21 roosters.jpg
    12-11-21 roosters.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 12-23-21 roosters.jpg
    12-23-21 roosters.jpg